Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Bun Burner Gold Ride This Weekend

I have been sticking my toes in the long-distance-riding waters lately. I have done a number of Iron Butt 1000 mile rides on various bikes I've owned.

my latest venture is to complete a Bun Burner Gold ride. That's doing 1500 miles in 24 hours. In order to accomplish this, I need to keep an average speed of about 64 miles per hour, including my breaks. No easy feat when you consider I have to factor in my pee breaks....which at my age are FAR too often!

I'm leaving Saturday at 10 AM heading north on 77 from Mooresville NC. I'm heading up 77 to Cambridge OH, then west on 70 to Indianapolis. From there south on 65 to Birmingham and then head back east through Atlanta and back to the Charlotte area. leaving at 10 AM will put me going through ATL at about 6 AM on Sunday so as to avoid traffic. If all goes as planned, of course.

I've done several SS1k's. my goal with this is to at least make 1250 miles in 24. I feel good about making the 1500 though. I'm doing it on my 94 Kawasaki Concours 1000. I expect to get about 225 to 250 miles on a tank of gas. that's more mileage than my bladder allows. This is a prep ride for a planned Coast-to-Coast 50 hour ride I'm doing in the spring. (another Iron Butt Association milestone)

Weather forecast shows I may have a good weather window. Subject to the whims of weather geeks though, so I'll be prepared regardless.

I'm using my SPOT 4 for the first time to actually track a long distance trip. hopefully this link would allow anyone to view the track and follow along.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/25d1-...ve=1&showAll=1