Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2022, 10:54 PM   #1

Hellcat Advice

I recently picked up a beat up Hellcat. On the first ride it vibrated and felt like the front end was about to fall off. The rear end is scraped up from wheelies. It has a rear fender eliminator, but the front and lower rear fender is missing. But it doesn't look too bad and it runs decent.

I found the front axle nut, triple tree nut, and handlebar mounts loose. The rear axle was adjusted crooked. One motor mount bolt was replaced, but not tight. I corrected all that and it improved it a lot. I replaced the fork oil with 15w fork oil, but forks are leaking. Probably blown seals from wheelies.

It's not worth putting a lot of money into it, but I think it will be a good pit bike.

Has anybody replaced fork seals on these? Do you know what size or what part will fit?

It has the original PZ25 carb with no head bowl screws and original air box. There is a street radar near me that shows it topping out around 47 MPH. It actually runs pretty decent with some noticeable lean spots. I assume that's about right for this setup. I like the handlebar choke setup. But more than that I like the water proof air box because I tend to get rained on at Mid Ohio Vintage Motorcycle Days every year. Is there a good carb setup that will allow me to keep the airbox? Any that keep the handlebar choke?

Last, Is there much to be done about the instrument cluster? It lights up when it's dark. The high beam indicator works. Nothing else. Wiring looks okay, but I haven't tested anything to see if I'm getting power for things like neutral light, tach, etc.