Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #1

Hawk 250 Front Wobble

Hey guys,
I haven't posted in forever because, honestly, most of anything I'll ask is already here, but I have a problem I've tried every written solution to fix and it hasn't.

When riding my 2018 Hawk 250 non-efi (bought it used at 30 miles/km, currently at 100 miles/km on odo) as soon as I hit 50+ on the speedo (original speedo, not digital) on a smooth paved road (i've tried different roads). The front of the bike starts to wobble. This wobble gets worse the faster I go. If I pull the bars to me or push the bars away hard enough, the wobble stops, as soon as pressure on the bars is released the wobble comes back. Here's a list of what I have tried/inspected.

All of the below were done by me, not a shop. I was comfortable doing most everything here, with the exception of balancing and fork tensioning as those seem to be more "up to your judgement" type jobs, and I really like clear cut answers (love torque values lol).

-Front and rear tire pressure checked.
-Front and rear axles greased
-Front and rear wheels balanced
-Front and rear spoked checked for tension
-Front fork oil drained and replaced
-Front and rear axle nuts were tightened to forum recommended torque values as you guys mentioned the manual is way too high.
-Changed out front and rear sprocket to elongate the...footprint? Idk, put the wheels farther out to help with geometry (someone mentioned this might be an issue)
-Checked the tires, they're the stock ones.
-Checked the front wheel for dents/bends
-Checked brake drag
-Checked front to rear wheel alignment, (bought a tool for this)
-Checked the bearings:
I wanted to elaborate on this one because it MIGHT be an issue, but when I was balancing the front wheel at around a 30 degree section of the front wheel when spinning I could feel drag from something. If it's the bearings I feel like it would be constant drag, so I'm not too sure what this was but it was consistent.

Anyhow, I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any advice? Could my forks be bent from the previous owner or something? If so how do I check something like that? It should be noted I removed the front fairings on the tank as they were damaged when I purchased it.

Thanks guys.