Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

Gio 150 Monster Air Filter Upgrade

I hated the stock filter. Not only did the filter media do a poor job, it was impossible to get at. You had to take the bodywork off just to get at it. Who's going to do that?

After reading a tip from a member on the old Gio forum, I bought some ABS pipe and a Uni pod filter. I used the rubber boot from the original air cleaner to clamp around the ABS pipe, then I cut a hole in the bodywork under the seat; as you can see, it looks like I cut it with a steak knife.

The area under the seat was likely meant for tools, but it's perfect for the air filter. The pipe makes a straight run from the carb to under the seat, and one hose clamp removes the filter for service. I created a splash shield underneath the new air filter out of some plastic from an old Reliance water container (that's the blue you can see).

I moved up to a 120 jet in the carb to compensate for the additional airflow, since this is a CV style carb with no needle and clip. The power increase was obvious, but there was a new surge at WOT that prompted a free-flowing exhaust. http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8437

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer