Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2: Clarke XT225 Fuel Tank Conversion

Second only to my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, my Clarke XT225 Fuel Tank conversion is the best change I have make to my Zongshen 200GY-2 motorcycle. The Clarke fuel tank is attractive, very durable, and holds 3.5 gallons of fuel (4.1 gallon advertised capacity). Since the stock fuel tank on my Zong only holds 2.0 gallons, I very much appreciate the extra capacity of the Clarke fuel tank!

My Zongshen motorcycle employs a very close copy of the current, 2010 Yamaha TW200 frame. No one currently manufactures an aftermarket fuel tank for the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. :( However, the TW200 frame is similar to the Yamaha XT225 frame. Therefore, when I decided I needed extra fuel capacity for my Zong, I decided to experiment with the Clarke fuel tank designed for the Yamaha XT225 motorcycle. I ordered the Clarke XT225 fuel tank from Just Gas Tanks, with the provision that I could return the tank if I was not satisfied.

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...oducts_id=1091

The underside of the Clarke XT225 tank is formed to accommodate the shape of the TW200/XT225/200GY-2 engine block, frame, ignition coil, control cables, ignition wire, front forks, et cetera. The Clarke tank is designed to use the stock, Yamaha XT225 fuel petcock, which must be purchased separately.

The front of the XT225 fuel tank is supported by the same rubber “hockey pucks” employed by the TW200/200GY-2. However, the internal, longitudinal channel of the XT225 fuel tank is about 10mm more narrow than the TW200 fuel tank. In the photograph below, the stock TW200 fuel tank is on the left, and the stock XT225 fuel tank is on the right.

The rear of the Clarke tank is supported by an aluminum bracket, which is bolted into threaded, metal studs molded into the back of the fuel tank.

After the Clarke tank arrived, I trimmed 5 mm of rubber from each of the Zong’s “hockey pucks,” and mounted the tank to examine the fit. The Clarke tank was an almost perfect fit for my Zong. However, the XT225 fuel tank is slightly shorter than the Zong gas tank, and the engine block contacted the Clarke tank at the left rear of the tank, near the fuel petcock. :(

At this point, I was fairly confident the Clarke fuel tank could be adapted to fit my Zongshen motorcycle. However, I now required the assistance of my good friend Andy, a professional mechanic. After he examined the fuel tank, Andy said he could mount it securely, with only minor modifications. I will give the details of Andy’s craftsmanship in my next post.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894