Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

My first bike - 250 cc Used Chongquing Lifan

I recently purchased a used bike. The COA shows the engine made by Chongqing Lifan Industry. The engine is a V twin Overhead Cam 4 stroke 250cc, and built in 2005.

I recently changed the oil. I removed the drain plug directly below the front of the kick stand. I also removed the cover on the side of the engine (it has 3 allen screws, one being quite long). I cleaned the metallic oil strainer (about the size of a small disposable oil filter) and replaced the screws. There were some minute pieces of metal on the filter, but very tiny, very shiny metal.

But, there exists another plug that seems to be oil related which I could not remove completely. It is located at the very bottom in the center of the engine right up towards the front and sits only about 1" or more directly above the frame. I was able to unscrew the bolt/cap (either 17 or 19 mm) but not able to slide it out away from the frame. This bolt/cap (the cap is about 2 1/2 inches wide). But inside this cap is a long spring. The spring pushes the cap against the frame and I could not remove the spring from inside the cap to get the cap off and to the side of the hole. When I loosened and removed this bolt/cap, there was just a small amount of black liquid that came out - did not even look/smell like oil. About 1-2 ounces came out, and it was thin and black. So, I placed the bolt/cap back onto the threads and tightended it back up.

It seems even if I had been able to remove this cap, the long spring would have been next to remove, and I do not know what this spring is holding up inside the engine.

I refilled the engine with oil, and the bike seems to runs fine. But, I'd like to know what this 3rd plug is, and do I need to get this off. Seems like the only way this comes off is when the engine is off the frame.

Can anyone shed light on this? Help.... )