Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

MX175 Barn Find

My son and I picked up a '78 MX175 barn find (pics later), and we have a question about oil injectors.

The bike hasn't run yet, so we're not into investing any cash at this time. The most we're springing for is oil, fuel and maybe a Chinese air filter, K&N style. On this model, the oil injector is located behind a cover on the right side of the engine. The pump drives off of a worm gear that is directly connected to the crankshaft. Oil flows out of the tank, into the injector and then an appropriate amount is pumped to the carb, based on throttle input.

The problem is that the entire pump assembly has been wet for a number of years, and it is completely rusted. We took the pump apart, and the gasket has disintegrated and a large spring inside is soon to follow.

We'd like to run without the injector and use premix. As far as I can tell, if we remove the pump and hoses, remove the oil tank, plug the port on the carb that was the oil delivery point, remove the pump cable and run around 40:1 premix, the bike should live. Any thoughts?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer