Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #1

New Member in Washington State

Hey guys,

I'm new to ChinaRiders.net. I'm from Washington State near Olympia. I have a keen interest in 250cc bikes and own several, though none are "Chinese".

I've had my eye on the Hawk 250, however I've seen one or two on Craigslist that I believe may have been mistake purchases by buyers that thought it would have been simple to title and register the bike here in Washington.

I'm hesitant to drop the cash on a bike that may or may not be able to be legalized. I will post in the appropriate sections of the forums to find out about registering in WA. My other options are to register in Oregon, or to secure registration in a state that does not require residency.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this resource. I travel a lot on my motorcycles. I have 3 Kawasaki Super Sherpas, 1 Kawasaki KLX250s, 1 Suzuki GZ250, 1 KLR650, 1 Suzuki vStrom 650 and a Husqvarna TR650 (my wife has ordered me to thin the herd, decisions, decisions, decisions...). I am very intrigued at doing some long-haul tripping on a cheap bike to see how it compares to a higher dollar Japanese manufactured bike.

Warm regards to everyone.

Rey.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

Welcome to here! I know that we have had members successfully register Hawks in Washington, or it could be early dementia?!

The key thing is--does Washington register off-road bikes converted to street? That is essentially what the Hawk is. However, RPS has done all the conversion work for you, saving you time to wait around at the DMV I also understand most of the dealers put 'Motorcycle' on the MCO rather than 'Off-road'. If the bikes you are seeing on CL have not been registered, and they have the MCO (they should!), read it and see what it uses; Motorcycle or off-road. That will help you register.

Or, perhaps, Washington has cracked down on the Hawk?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

OK, just looked over this thread, and I did not see Washington http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919

The other day, someone from Nevada asked the same thing, and I was able to find on their DMV site very clear instructions for converting an off-road 2 wheel motorcycle (the site was very specific about motorcycles only as opposed to quads or UTVs getting registered) to street legal and plated. See if your state has information on its DMV site.

Edit: I went to your state's site and put in 'Converting off road motorcycle to street legal' and this form popped up--looks like you are good to go!

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420808.pdf

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #4

Welcome, Rey!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #5

Welcome Rey...you've found a good source of help here....and some pretty good folks.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraTripper View Post
I have 3 Kawasaki Super Sherpas, 1 Kawasaki KLX250s
So that's why we couldn't find a small Jap bike for the Mrs... this guy Rey had them all

Welcome to the forum

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.