Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #1

TaoTao DB10 won't turn over

Newly installed Mikuni carb.
Trying to tune and the starter went out after I got a good idle but bad fuel/air mixture.

Waited nearly 2 months for the new starter to get here.

Installed starter, cleaned out carb just in case. Cleaned specifically the screws inside.

Bike won't turn over. Cranking the starter has me worried the starter will die again.

Checked spark plug and it smells like fuel, slightly black, cleaned it.

There is a small amount of fuel in the fuel filter. I can't remember for the life of me if this is supposed to be fuller or not.

Could I get some help trouble shooting this? Is there a fuel clog or is the carb not getting what it needs?

Edit: Just confirmed the pilot needles are both clear.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #2

CDI and/or valves. I would order a couple spare CDIs as Chinese bikes, seemingly Taotaos in particular, have a need for CDIs.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #3

Got it. Since these bikes go through these, is there a specific brand or a racing module maybe that you would recommend? Part number?

Also, would you recommend getting rid of the electronics and converting to a kick start? This removes the need for CDI and battery stuff, right?

Old 01-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

You just need to get on ebay...find the one that matches yours. I am the lazy type, so I wouldn't go through the process of removing all the electrics, but that is me. It seems that stock CDIs can go bad (I am not saying this is the case for yours, but it happens a lot, and a spare or two can't hurt since the prices are low enough to keep one around). Once people change them out (assuming a stock one went bad), it seems that that problem doesn't come up again. As far as valve adjustment, that, too, has caught many dual-sport owners off guard. Sometimes brand new bikes with 25 run-in miles have started to give owners issues that seem carb related, they post their issues in the dual-sport section, somone mentions valves, and the member posts that it was the fix. Try it before ordering a CDI, but I am not sure how often the horizontal thumpers need adjusting.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #5

A couple of things that seem odd to me...
1. you said the bike does not turn over, but the starter engages when you hit the start button? Do you mean the engine turns over but will not start? If hat's the case, Pull the plug and insert it in the plug boot, touch the plug against an engine bolt, and then hit the starter button to see if you're getting spark to the plug.
2. Turn the fuel petcock on and then open the float bowl drain screw and see if fuel runs out of the carb, to see if the carb is getting fuel. If you don't have fuel running out, the next step is to pull the fuel line from the cab and see if you're getting fuel from the tank.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:21 AM   #6

Culcune: I'll take a look at the valves first, thanks.

dirtbkr188:
1. The bike will electrically "turn-over" but the bike won't start. I'll do that and see if I get a spark. I'll update tomorrow if the problem is the spark.
2. Just did this. Looks good. I think I can rule out a clogged fuel line, now.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #7

Checked spark, looks good.

Re-cleaned carb. Carb was getting fuel. Still no start. Reset carb back to factory. Still no start.

I should mention that both the carb and the bike is brand new. It ran for a short period till the old carb clogged. Replaced with new Mikuni and hasn't run since. Not with factory settings or otherwise.

I've now checked the carb again and I'm starting to think it is now flooding before it has a chance to start up. I haven't been revving it during start, and I've tried with the choke off. How do I prevent flooding on these tiny engines?

Last edited by PleaseW84myRX8; 01-06-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #8

Do you use the choke to start the bike when the bike is cold, and not touch or twist the throttle at all?

Old 01-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
Do you use the choke to start the bike when the bike is cold, and not touch or twist the throttle at all?
I use the choke on middle setting first. Then I try to start. No throttle. But I've tried it with some throttle and I've tried it again with 2 flicks of the throttle BEFORE start to get fuel into the lines, which I used to have to do with an old bike I had. Nothing works.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #10

How about spritzing a little brake or contact cleaner into the carb from the air filter side and then see if it runs for a few seconds and dies? If it does, that is usually indicative of a fuel issue.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
How about spritzing a little brake or contact cleaner into the carb from the air filter side and then see if it runs for a few seconds and dies? If it does, that is usually indicative of a fuel issue.
Still nothing.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #12

I'm bumping this with new info.

Checked battery, battery was weak.

Got a new battery and tried again. Still no start. Threw a different carb on there from my second bike I own and it started, but won't stay idling. Told manufacturer, was sent a new carb, and swapped everything back on the second bike with the NEW new carb being put onto the DB10. It starts, but won't stay running unless I throttle it.

At this point, I'm at a loss on what it is. Valves? Do I need to re-readjust them?

Old 02-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseW84myRX8 View Post
I'm bumping this with new info.

Checked battery, battery was weak.

Got a new battery and tried again. Still no start. Threw a different carb on there from my second bike I own and it started, but won't stay idling. Told manufacturer, was sent a new carb, and swapped everything back on the second bike with the NEW new carb being put onto the DB10. It starts, but won't stay running unless I throttle it.

At this point, I'm at a loss on what it is. Valves? Do I need to re-readjust them?
Have you played with the choke on the new carb? I see ATVs and dirtbikes pretty commonly fire up but have a hard time staying running unless warmed up with the choke. It's probably the most common thing that happens when my customers can't get their bikes to run.

Chris

Old 02-02-2020, 01:07 AM   #14

Sorry for the delayed response, but this was resolved. I had a bad pilot jet. Even though there was air coming through, it had a defect in the center that was doing weird things. Replaced the pilot jet and it worked well.

Tags
db-10, db10, tao, taotao