Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

Hawk DLX (EFI) Datalogging & Tuning Thread

I got some feedback we should start a Hawk DLX specific datalogging & tuning thread, so here we go. Lets make this a living document, and help each other out the best we can. I have respect for the commercial tuners out in the world, but I prefer to DIY when I can

I am by no means an expert on this platform in any sense of the word, but I have self tuned many personal vehicles. I also was part of a reverse engineering project on early Honda and Mitsubishi ECU's at one time. I will update this post new things come to light, and please call out things you see change or are wrong as time goes on!

I know many people aren't comfortable with this, but for some of us... this is likely why we bought the DLX. I just prefer fuel injection, I understand it pretty well and enjoy the benefits it can bring when tuned properly.

Overview:

Hawk DLX currently ships with the Delphi MT05.2 ECU. This ECU has been around the block a while, and you often see it (in the United States anyway) on lawn equipment even. Specifically I have seen it on Kohler engines, and I'm sure it's on others too.

The ECU does support datalogging, flash read and write capabilities.

I have done a lot of work on my end to trace down the origin of the components on my personal website, but in summary:
  • 32mm throttle body, with an integrated (IE: single component) MAP, TPS and IAT/MAT & older GM/Delphi style IACV (idle air control valve)
  • Delphi style EV6 fuel injector w/USCAR connector, flow rate currently unknown to me
  • Returnless in-tank fuel pump setup. Once you disassemble the fuel pump basket, it appears to be a pretty run of the mill / off the shelf pump you see on a lot of EFI bikes. IE: older Suzuki and Honda's
  • Run of the mill 4 wire narrowband oxygen sensor, uses M12 thread
  • Cylinder head temperature sensor, threaded into the cylinder head
  • Unknown (to me right now anyway) crank trigger setup. I am meaning to pull the stator cover off sometime to see what they did there for sure, but I've not had a chance ... too busy riding hopefully we'll know more about this soon

Datalogging:

We are in luck, a great member of the community has created software to replace the almost unusable MSDOS datalogging software Delphi wrote. It runs on modern versions of Windows, and it has some emerging features we'll talk more about later. Please acknowledge this hard work and donate an amount to a charity of your choice as outlined in the website below.

HUD ECU Hacker: https://netcult.ch/elmue/HUD%20ECU%20Hacker/

You will need to build or buy an adapter cable to interface from the Hawk's diagnostic connector to a supported diagnostic cable/dongle (these are outlined on the HUD ECU Hacker website). The Hawk diagnostic connector is a 6 pin connector located between the frame and fuel tank (if you are looking at the motorcycle front to back) on the right side.

Technically speaking, every bit of info you need to build or buy a cable is also on the HUD ECU Hacker page.

If you prefer to see a video, see f15sim's great video on making a cable here:

This is my cable:

Reading / Flashing:

HUD ECU Hacker - As of v2.8+, HUD ECU Hacker can read AND write the flash contents from the ECU.

Costs:
  • Donate to your favorite charity (sharityware)
  • You still need to make a diagnostic cable, but you needed one anyway (~$20-30USD)
BitBox - A company called BitEdit (more on them later) offers BitBox, which can read AND write to the ECU. This is an additional fee on top of BitEdit, and (from what I can tell) you have to own a more expensive J2534 (Tactrix Openport) adapter. So it starts to get a little pricey when you add all that up. There are clones of the Taxtrix adapters out there, but I have no experience with them. If you do, please chime in.

Costs (as of 12/23/2020, these will vary by vendor):
  • BitEdit USB Security Dongle (only need one dongle for both) - ~$35USD
  • BitBox License for Delphi MT05.x - ~$325USD
CombiLoader - CombiLoader can also read and write, but this not software I own or have access to at this time. Mostly I've heard of this software in automotive (European cars specifically) applications. If you have experience with this software, please chime in.

Costs:
  • TBD
One thing to note, the MT05 operates at 10400 baud if using an ELM327 adapter. Given its a 256k flash image on the MT05.2, that means it takes quite a bit of time to do full dumps/flashes.

The VAG K-Line adapters can operate about 4x faster, so they make a better choice and I would recommend that given how many ELM327's are counterfeit anyway.

Commercial Calibration Editing Software:

At this time, I am aware of two commercial offerings for the Delphi MT05.x:

BitEdit - I have sent BitEdit the .bin from my bike. They replied that "it is supported", but I have not seen that directly. BitEdit, generally speaking, is not very well regarded on their calibration mappings. I've received that feedback from multiple users of BitEdit, including some using it for Delphi MT05.x tuning.

BitEdit is reasonably priced though, but it requires a hardware dongle AND you have to be online when you use it. It constantly phones home to mother Russia (literally in this case). You can search and buy it online from a number of retailers.

I did get a user on Facebook to open the .bin from my bike, and share a screenshot though.. and it looks promising enough I'll likely buy it.

Costs (as of 12/23/2020, these will vary by vendor):
  • BitEdit USB Security Dongle (only need one dongle for both) - ~$35USD
  • BitEdit License for Delphi MT05.x - ~$150USD

ChipTuning Pro - I know very little about this software, it is ONLY available in Russian language. If you have experience with this software, please chime in.

Costs:
  • TBD

DIY / Free Calibration Editing Software:

Freeware - This leaves us with also trying to reverse engineer this a bit ourselves and use a software such as TunerPro to create a basic definition. I have looked at the .bin a bit, and I am pretty sure I've found the main VE and likely the timing tables.

However, tables are the easy part. The part that really matters is defeating or reverse engineering the checksum function. In short- without defeating that, the ECU will think anything you're writing to it is corrupt. This will be key to defeat if we hope to keep the costs down on DIY tuning.

BitBot and CombiLoader handle this for you on writing.

Without a disassembly, which may or may not be possible (still looking into this), it will be hard to truly do anything super comprehensive. I welcome anyones expertise here, as I've been out of the DASM game a while.

I has been suggested to me to look into this: https://github.com/NationalSecurityAgency/ghidra

Yah.. that NSA. That tool is apparently at or exceeds what old IDA Pro could do?

Something also worth noting is that I've gotten my hands on a lot of different MT05.x tunes. They move tables around on almost every one, so it means you're basically creating a definition per motorcycle! BitEdit is not really expensive in the grand scheme of things, so it really may be worth just paying for that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RPS Hawk DLX v1.0.zip (14.4 KB, 146 views)

My Hawk DLX info page: https://www.ecimulti.org/hawk250

Last edited by Gimpster; 01-08-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Alright, .. kicked it off. Enjoy.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

I was going to suggest this thread in your Hawk DLX thread. I look forward to some interesting ECU/EFI tuning information. This looks like the equivalent for EFI of all the carb tuning threads.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Not worth updating the main post, but a gentleman on Facebook was kind enough to make a quick screenshot with the Hawk .bin from my bike, screenshot below.

Based on what I see here.... I would say buying BitEdit is a go given how cheap it is. I will also work on my own definitions still (just as a hobby), but it looks like they have all the major items you'd need to tune the Hawk down. I would buy BitEdit + the dongle now, but they are out of stock at vendors with reasonable shipping. Otherwise you have to ship it from Russia for as much as the software itself via DHL.

It was also somewhat nice to see my assumptions on some tables (VE, timing) validated... namely their size. Also the fact he gave me a screenshot of a timing table now means I can easily come up with the hex -> decimal formula

If you have ever hacked on ECU's in general, that whole screenshot is basically solid gold.

This I am speculating on, but if any of you have ever tuned on a Harley, the tables being duplicated because this particular MT05 variant supports two cylinders. The early Harley stuff was all Delphi based and looked really similar.

Large version of below: https://www.ecimulti.org/gallery3/va...g?m=1608734715

Old 12-24-2020, 04:37 AM   #5

And you thought pilot jets, needles and main jets were hard to get dialed in

I realize this is the future

Thank goodness there are people willing to share this knowledge.

I'm going to get my club and head back to the cave

Thanks for posting and trying to keep cavemen up to date.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #6

So, today a couple things...

1.) I created a logging parameter file for HUD ECU Hacker that reflects our single cylinder bikes a little better. Just put this into the Parameters folder, and in the main screen change the Parameter File drop down to this one. I'll add this into the main post later.

I removed all the Cylinder 2 items that dont apply, and renamed the coolant sensor to cylinder head temperature.

2.) On the subject of cylinder head temp sensors, I've logged my bike a number of times and the numbers coming off the cyl head temp sensor have seemed suspect. I am unsure if this is real, or if perhaps HUD ECU Hacker just isn't using the right formula for this sensor. Bike was dead cold, hasn't ran for a couple days.

Screen shot (note I took this before creating that parameter file):

https://www.ecimulti.org/gallery3/va...g?m=1608935659

My garage temp this morning was about 15-16*C, the intake air temp is pretty close to ambient, but the cylinder head temp is about 7.5*C higher than the IAT.

Will do some more testing/research on that sensor, but if it really is that far out of wack could explain why some people have minor cold start drama. This is one of the few sensors I've not been able to identify.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RPS Hawk DLX v1.0.zip (14.4 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Gimpster; 12-25-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #7

I will update the main post as well, but:

Really big news everyone. Elmu has successfully reverse engineered the checksum function on the Delphi MT05.x, meaning we can now read AND write to the ECU with HUD ECU Hacker v2.8+. If you've never worked on assembly before, this is a VERY labor intensive and cryptic thing to have to accomplish. Please do donate to a charity of your choice if you find his work useful. They literally just saved you hundreds of dollars if you had been wanting to tune this bike.

In a nutshell- this means the larger expense of tuning this bike is been removed. I would still recommend buying BitEdit if you really want to tune on it though, as there are no standard map locations on the MT05. That said, it was the cheaper part of the equation. It is very labor intensive to map out the calibration on every different tune/bike, and likely not worth the lift for most given the price of BitEdit.

Grab v2.8 here: https://www.netcult.ch/elmue/HUD%20ECU%20Hacker/

Old 01-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #8

Hey any chance you could do a tune on another Ecu? Assuming similar mods on my bike would a generic tune be help or even possibly helpful.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #9

I finally got all of my cabling bits together. I've also downloaded HUD ECU Hacker ver. 3.1. I got HUD ECU Hacker communicating with the Hawk DLS with no problem. I was curious about the temperature sensors in the system. My garage temperature at the time was 10 degC (50 degF). The bike had been sitting for 2 days without starting. Using Gimpster's dashboard parameter file (thank-you Gimpster, this made viewing the parameters a lot easier) I got the following temperatures: Head temperature 10.8 degC (51 degF), MAP temperature (intake) 7.1 degC (44.8 degF), and Ex Temperature (whatever that is) of 8.1 degC (46.6 degF).

The head temperature at garage temperature is pretty close - that doesn't necessarily mean that the head temperature is correct when the engine heats up. The intake temperature at garage temperature indicates about 6 degF low. I would think that this would cause the ECU to make the mixture richer when the engine is cold. The engine still runs pretty rough when cold (takes a real long time to get warm and smooth out, sort of). My sparkplug is looking quite white. Even after getting hot, I still get a hesitation when cracking the throttle, on a couple of occasions has stalled the engine, and the idle "hunts" a bit.

Anyway, this is interesting to me, since I have no experience with fuel injection systems, and I intend to read up more.

One other thing. When I connect with HUD I usually get the error code 'P0650, Fault Lamp (MIL) Malfunction'. I have never seen a fault lamp (check engine light) on my instrument cluster. I'm wondering if it just isn't there, in the instrument cluster, or if there really is a problem that I need to look in to.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_airhead View Post
I finally got all of my cabling bits together. I've also downloaded HUD ECU Hacker ver. 3.1. I got HUD ECU Hacker communicating with the Hawk DLS with no problem. I was curious about the temperature sensors in the system. My garage temperature at the time was 10 degC (50 degF). The bike had been sitting for 2 days without starting. Using Gimpster's dashboard parameter file (thank-you Gimpster, this made viewing the parameters a lot easier) I got the following temperatures: Head temperature 10.8 degC (51 degF), MAP temperature (intake) 7.1 degC (44.8 degF), and Ex Temperature (whatever that is) of 8.1 degC (46.6 degF).

The head temperature at garage temperature is pretty close - that doesn't necessarily mean that the head temperature is correct when the engine heats up. The intake temperature at garage temperature indicates about 6 degF low. I would think that this would cause the ECU to make the mixture richer when the engine is cold. The engine still runs pretty rough when cold (takes a real long time to get warm and smooth out, sort of). My sparkplug is looking quite white. Even after getting hot, I still get a hesitation when cracking the throttle, on a couple of occasions has stalled the engine, and the idle "hunts" a bit.

Anyway, this is interesting to me, since I have no experience with fuel injection systems, and I intend to read up more.

One other thing. When I connect with HUD I usually get the error code 'P0650, Fault Lamp (MIL) Malfunction'. I have never seen a fault lamp (check engine light) on my instrument cluster. I'm wondering if it just isn't there, in the instrument cluster, or if there really is a problem that I need to look in to.
I essentially have the same exact problems with my DLX with the exception that my error code is P0505.

Have you found a solution to it idling rough and running lean?

Old 10-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holifield View Post
I essentially have the same exact problems with my DLX with the exception that my error code is P0505.

Have you found a solution to it idling rough and running lean?
No. Still idles like crap when cold. It doesn't stall like it did when new. I'm just living with the poor cold running for now.

I did find the check engine light problem - the wire plug was quite loose.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_airhead View Post
No. Still idles like crap when cold. It doesn't stall like it did when new. I'm just living with the poor cold running for now.

I did find the check engine light problem - the wire plug was quite loose.
Mine runs like crap too like it is misfiring when I first start it an let it warm up and often when I first start riding.

Can you describe the location and wire that was loose for you?

Old 11-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #13

Hello does anyone have the original stock patch file. I wanted to try Motocheeses ALex's tune. I thought I downloaded the stock tune that came with the bike but i cant find it. If anyone is able to send me the stock patch file id appreciate it.