Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #16

dont forget linux, my laptop came with 7 on it, i liked xp but i changed to ubuntu. not perfect but my choice of what i have seen. and everything is free
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 03-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #17

Linux is good for some things, I would say mainly servers... It can work for home use, but it depends on what you want to do.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Linux is good for some things, I would say mainly servers... It can work for home use, but it depends on what you want to do.
Never tried it myself before, but some Linux software like 'ubuntu' is a bit more home use friendly. I think you need to be pretty comfortable with computers before attempting that though.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #19

Yeah there are a ton of different flavors, but that's why I think it isn't an ideal solution for home use...

You can make it do most of what you want, but everything is more difficult.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #20

I ran a few Linux variants for a few years... Ended up ditching it for XP so I could run my Valve Games and WoW. I don't really play either anymore but my son does! I used to build systems for a hobby and Linux was an economical choice and worked great... Until I tried to get unsupported games to run, then it was a PITA! It can be done, but it is a lot more work than it needs to be. I agree with Turbo, I love the UI of the Apple products. I have never had a Mac but would love to get one someday. My comps get used and abused by myself and my son though and with my luck when I spend 2K on a comp, that's the one that would get pop spilt on it! I prefer laptops to desktops these days too, simply for the portability... Though when I was gaming I prefered the desktop for the expandability. Yup, I'm a confirmed geek :P

Old 03-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #21

i dont play games so that doesnt bother me, there are a few programs that i run at the shop that are windotws only, i have had a few things pain me, pulling and ripping a movie to play on my media player (vcr/dvd type thing thats really cool too) but a lot is simpler as well like the drivers and its a learning experience. once the next release is out, 10.4 i think, as the current is really a beta. i would suggest giving it a try. you can run it without installing or run a dual boot. its really good when windows breaks to use as a diagnostic tool which is how i first used it, and as best as i can explain its faster, clean and stable. as for the programs, except for games there is a free version i can use. i just wish i could use it at the shop but those are highly protected proprietary software :evil:

Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #22

i forgot my best toy, and i can give the link to get one, yes it could be used wrongly, and it may not be exactly legal, none the less i ordered one and got it and it works. it real handy in walmart and the more powerful one may be a safety option on the road http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355 i also got a http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29233 im still not sure which one is neater even though the second item isnt tech it sure makes you think if your the type that has to know how instead of it works

Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #23

How is it handy to interfere with others phone calls?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
How is it handy to interfere with others phone calls?
Hahaha... perhaps if it's annoying you while you're shopping in Wal-Mart? I didn't know they made those, I laughed.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #25

I think I remember something about a teacher somewhere using one so his students wouldn't be on the phone in class, and he got in trouble for it.

Maybe Walmart has this already, my cell phone has never worked in the Langley Walmart, but works fine in the Abbotsford one.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #26

ever been in a store when someone holds up the line so they can talk on their phone and start discussing where they are at, and where they are going next and what the weather is inside the store, while everyone else waits or when someone is talking to you then you see THE HAND while they expect you to wait while they take a useless call. what it is, is the high tech solution to modern rudeness which seems to run rampant lately. i also understand its a good way to make a drunk beat their phone an the bar, but i dont go to bars so thats here say