Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

WEED CONTROL

Alright team, I'm looking for tips here.

I have 'patio bricks' all along one side of my driveway, and into my backyard, which is a partial patio with the same bricks. I'm having a bugger of a time keeping weeds from growing there. I also have some out of control "morning glory" ground cover vine/weeds that I can't get rid of either in certain areas of my yard.

So far in my time here, I have tried FIRE(weed burner), RoundUp, Killex, Home Remedy of vinegar, soap, salt and water. The only thing that really kills this stuff is the fire, but I get a bit nervous doing that around my house and fence. I also have two dogs and a cat roaming the yard and I don't want to harm them with chemicals, but I'd like to be rid of these damn weeds. They are very difficult to pull out of the patio bricks, so I'd prefer a spray of some kind treatment. I just doused them with killex and they're bloody blooming flowers now since (5 days ago)..

If any of you are yard stars I'm interested to know any tricks and tips, or products you've used that isn't agent orange to take care of stuff like this.

Thanks!

-TT

Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

that isn't agent orange

You have already tried "agent orange", at least the domestic version, RoundUp is the domestic version of agent orange (Monsanto-Dow chemical).

Usually, before you install patio bricks/blocks, you put down plastic (standard heavy builders plastic), that controls the weeds. Then the use of a "string trimmer" (Weed eater of some form) cuts the weeds down that grow above the plastic.

Morning Glory: you just have to keep ripping it out.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
that isn't agent orange

You have already tried "agent orange", at least the domestic version, RoundUp is the domestic version of agent orange (Monsanto-Dow chemical).

Usually, before you install patio bricks/blocks, you put down plastic (standard heavy builders plastic), that controls the weeds. Then the use of a "string trimmer" (Weed eater of some form) cuts the weeds down that grow above the plastic.

Morning Glory: you just have to keep ripping it out.
I really dislike the morning glory. :evil:

The patio bricks have been there long before me. The house was built in '83 I imagine they went in about that time. Likely someone used plastic THEn, but it's probably been eaten away by this time.

Maybe I have to go at it with the weed wacker..

Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #4

You might try salt, the kind you get at Home Depot for softening water.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

All living things need water; salt kills weeds because it draws the moisture from them. If you keep reapplying the salt, it might saturate the soil above the plastic, creating a "dead zone," inhospitable to weeds. I might be wrong, but I don't think the salt will harm your animals.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #5

I've heard that simple boiling water on dandelions is effective, but I've yet to try it. I'll let you know if it works for me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #6

Salt would work but it is not enviromently friendly, especially around a drinking water supply. I have an idea what your going though.
I seem to remember round up having a formula especially for the hard to kill stuff your describing. I usually only see the reg stuff on sale.

Are you mixing the stuff yourself or buying the ready to use stuff? You might try mixing a little stronger and spot treating to see how it works. It is alot cheaper that way also.

I have been hearing adds for Ortho ground clear lately. Supposed to kill weeds and grass for up to a year. Been thinking of trying some myself around the place.

Good luck and keep us posted especially if you start winning!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #7

The landscapers here are using a heating device its very much like a big hair dyer and does or has the same effect as the chemical compound as it burn and dehydrates the plant. It does not cause a fire it damages the plant and the rot spreads to the roots. As the rot will spread to the roots and the roots will die, thats what the round up does, burns and dehydrates and the rotting plants roots die.

Round up is a salt acid they call it glycolphosphate, which never existed until Monsanto made the name up. Weeds will and do beome resistent to it over time. They do and its natural selection, and why some things grow in brackish water.

If your using well water then the only real concern is to perforations, like those made by people that dig till they hit it in order to make a pond, then proceed to fertilize and weed kill the grass around it. The thing is that the earth is the filter unless you have direct run off going directly into the aquifer what you put on the ground will not get that far, the layers of dirt and clay are a filter.

Digging down and hitting the water table is bad. Wells are ok but have to be covered and protected.

The round up is water soluble and in small amounts will not affect the water table, it could affect run off but for residential use the amount and the toxicity are not worth concern. The salt either; the salt is totally natural it will not affect the water at all, it would not be effective either after it rains. They salt the hell out of the roads and eventually the grass on the tree lawn comes back.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #8

You do have to pull the Morning Glories and before they flower and seed. Get them in the spring and keep up with them. I had them they are a pain, but the leafs are easy to spot and the vines are tool, just keep pulling them its usually a year or two battle. It’s also only the white ones that are a menace the blue and red ones do not spread that easy or fast.

If you tear down the dead morning glories from the past summer the seeds fall to the ground and you end up with millions more, never let them flower.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #9

youll need to poison the roots so best thing i can suggest is either diluted bleech or battery acid. ive used both in the past and its worked fine
lee

Old 04-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #10

OHHH!!! Morning Glory! 8O that stuff is EVIL! :evil:

My 74 year old mother decided to plant it a few years ago and it completely took over her entire little yard at her condo in less than a year! It's like "Bermuda Grass From Hell", or something as it will root at every twig joint. I literally had to dig the entire root ball out of the ground, pour bleach into the dirt....and still pull and peck that stuff for another year! It would literaly spring up anywhere.
It finally gave up the ghost but it was a physical fight. Nothing would kill it.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #11

Guys thanks for all your tips..

Those vines are a nightmare, I've let them get too out of control in the past. Young kids + full time job + high maintenance back yard = unwanted vegetation winning. I'm trying to stop that trend now that things are a bit more stable in life.

I had been told to use the 'super concentrated' Round Up, and keep it really heavy on the chemical to water mix ratio, but I've been holding out on that due to the concerns over the environment. Perhpas I need to wage 'chemical warfare' this one time to get things back under control.

I'll battle and let everyone know what worked out for me.

Thanks again..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #12

Supposedly the round up is only effective on foliage and not harmfull to the ground. That said, it is still a chemical that would not be there if it wasnt used.

I think I would look for the formula especially for the vegitation your killing and mix it strong.