Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
*Hurry! Sale ends in EIGHT DAYS, on Feb. 28th! $300 rebate.
Here's an interesting observation: When I first mentioned it three and a half weeks ago (on page 2 of this thread), that sale was scheduled to end on the last day of March, as I said then. Now it's been moved up to end one month earlier.

Maybe they're selling like hotcakes now! Maybe Culcune's prediction is coming true:
With you on here posting positive things, a few youtube videos, and people like ChopperCharles getting one, there will be more people jumping on board keeping interest in the bike.
Buc

Hurry! Sale ends in EIGHT DAYS, on Feb. 28th! $300 rebate.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #137

So I misread some previous posts of yours Buccaneer. The bike comes with a CR6HSA plug. Which means a CR6HIX iridium plug is a direct replacement.

I pulled a plug cap off and have verified that the spark plug wires are stranded copper core, not suppression core. There is no resistor in the spark plug cap. I just read my new Virago service manual and confirmed that the Virago had resistors in the spark plug caps.

Charles.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #138

Hrm. After my oil change, I'm realizing there's no oil light on the gauge, just a check engine light tied to the computer. Inspecting the motor, I don't see an oil pressure sensor either. Is there no low oil pressure warning for this motor?

Charles.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Hrm. After my oil change, I'm realizing there's no oil light on the gauge, just a check engine light tied to the computer. Inspecting the motor, I don't see an oil pressure sensor either. Is there no low oil pressure warning for this motor?

Charles.
! Seems not, judging from the circuit diagram and your inspection.

Maybe the Yamaha XV250 has one, and perhaps there is a disused port for a gauge. Wait! It's coming back to me that I identified just such a plug on the right side of the motor, very close to the junction of the two cylinders. I briefly considered putting an oil pressure sensor there, but decided it would be unsightly, and so forgot about this.

I think this is all a correct memory, but I'm not near my garage and can't try to verify it. Perhaps it was just a dream.

Buc

EDIT: I think that's it there, standing proud from the base of the rear cylinder, toward the right in the attached image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil plug.jpg (14.3 KB, 240 views)

Old 02-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #140

The XV250, from my research, doesn't appear to have one either. Other models in the Virago line have an oil LEVEL sensor in the bottom of the crankcase, but it doesn't appear the 250 Virago has even that.

The point you indicated is a place where an oil pressure sensor can be added, but the threads are too small (6mm) for any pressure fittings I know of....

But hmm... they do make M6-sized banjo bolts. It'd be possible to rig a remote mechanical oil pressure sensor with a small banjo bolt and stainless line attached there.

After an oil change, I'm used to spinning the engine on the starter motor until the oil pressure builds up and the light goes off. Then I flip the kill switch on (or reattach the plugs, depending on the bike) and start it once there's oil in the system. I had to just guess this time.

Charles.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #141

Quote:
The XV250, from my research, doesn't appear to have one either. Other models in the Virago line have an oil LEVEL sensor in the bottom of the crankcase, but it doesn't appear the 250 Virago has even that.

The point you indicated is a place where an oil pressure sensor can be added, but the threads are too small (6mm) for any pressure fittings I know of....

But hmm... they do make M6-sized banjo bolts. It'd be possible to rig a remote mechanical oil pressure sensor with a small banjo bolt and stainless line attached there.
Charles.
Yes, that's what I thought I might do. I had a similar mechanical gauge (VDO) setup on my old Vision 550. But I decided against it this time.

I've had more bad experiences than good with adding oil pressure gauges.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #142

Quote:
Charles.
I wonder why that threaded port is there. It could be a diagnostic feature for periodic oil pressure tests, in which case there should have been a description of the test in the shop manual. It isn't in a good position for a regular oil pressure sensor or sender, but is in a good position for a test instrument.

I think I had found an M6 right-angle fitting, but a banjo bolt fitting would be nicer. The only one of those I found was for a rubber or plastic tube, but that would work fine for a test instrument.

Plain-main-bearing engines are monitored for oil pressure over time as a sign of bearing wear. I don't know what kind of bearings the XV250 has.

But the only faults I remember diagnosing with oil pressure gauges have been faults in the oil pressure gauge circuits.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #143

The xv250 motor has big honking roller bearings for the crankshaft, no plain bearings.

Charles.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #144

Hey Buccaneer, do the threads of your front axle stick out of the right fork? I'm thinking that maybe my front wheel was not installed correctly. Maybe I'm missing a spacer or something. Can you post photos of your front axle?

Here's mine.

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5517.jpg (85.7 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5518.jpg (88.0 KB, 548 views)

Old 02-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #145

Quote:
Hey Buccaneer, do the threads of your front axle stick out of the right fork? I'm thinking that maybe my front wheel was not installed correctly. Maybe I'm missing a spacer or something. Can you post photos of your front axle?

Charles.
You're pretty obviously missing something in there.

One of my biggest disappointments is that there is no parts manual available to non-dealers. I mean to write the company about that.

Buc

P.S. OEM Yamaha filter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buc front axle.jpg (96.7 KB, 233 views)

Old 02-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #146

The parts person at my dealership sent me this. There are two spacers marked #2. One of them is installed on the right side of the axle, and that part is there. It appears the other should be installed inside of the speedometer drive. I’ll bet that one is missing. I won’t have time to take it apart until the weekend though.

And yep that was an OEM Yamaha filter for an XV250 Virago!

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04A0F896-43A1-4A4B-A3E9-65600B9E1DCC.jpg (15.8 KB, 220 views)

Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #147

So, it took me longer to modify the scissor jack I bought at Harbor Freight than it did to actually inspect the front end. (I cut off the two ears and welded on a nut so I could use my electric impact on the jack to lift it and lower it quickly, then attached a piece of wood to the top to protect the frame tubes).

Anyhow, I loaded the bike backwards into the lift so the rear wheel was in the chock, then used the scissor jack to lift the front end. Much like your setup. After getting the axle out, my suspicions were confirmed. Part number 2 missing on the left side. This prevents the axle from ever getting tight - the threads bottom out in the right fork leg before the axle bolt can firmly sandwich everything together. This is likely why I was having a little brake pulsing. The wheel is allowed to flex slightly in the forks. Not a lot, because the beefy pinch bolt keeps things from moving too much, but enough. Whether this warped the rotor or just caused some (extremely mild) pulsing that will go away when the spacer is installed remains to be seen.

I have to load it in a truck and drive it 45 minutes to the dealership tomorrow to have them tell me what I already know: It needs a new spacer and possibly a brake rotor.

I'm almost tempted to say screw it, buy the part myself (It can't be much), and ride it until it gets here. I mean... brand new bike in the shop for weeks while they wait for parts... that hurts.

Charles.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #148

Here's a video so you can see what causes this.

Charles.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #149

Quote:
So, it took me longer to modify the scissor jack I bought at Harbor Freight than it did to actually inspect the front end....

I have to load it in a truck and drive it 45 minutes to the dealership tomorrow to have them tell me what I already know: It needs a new spacer and possibly a brake rotor.

I'm almost tempted to say screw it, buy the part myself (It can't be much), and ride it until it gets here. I mean... brand new bike in the shop for weeks while they wait for parts... that hurts.

Charles.
It's taken two weeks and maybe two and a half weeks for the two parts I've needed on warranty. If I were in your shoes I'd be sourcing that spacer elsewhere (McMaster-Carr, probably). Once you get that in you could re-evaluate the brake issue and decide whether it needs attention.

Nice work on the scissors jack. I spent weeks thinking over just how I'd modify mine, and ordered a 6-inch aluminum bar from mcmaster.com to fulfill my vision. It's nice, but way more than needed.

EDIT: From your video I see the spacer might not be so easy to source. I expect you plan to have the dealer watch your video and then get hin to order your part w/o making the trip. Good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scissors_jack.jpg (91.1 KB, 210 views)

Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #150

Your solution is more elegant than mine for the top of the jack. I needed to get the bike up fast, so I used a paddle bit and a chisel to make a rectangle in the wood, and then hammered it on the top of the jack. I plan to weld a bracket onto it later, as well as a wider, more robust base plate.

Charles.