Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #151

My welds add character :wink:

I was consider hiding it by painting it with the same rubberized undercoating I used on the front bumper but decided against it for now.

I think part of why I some of them don't looks so great is I guessed on the settings for the welder, I may have had the wire speed a little low.

I was thinking instead of plating the bottom, I could just stick some angle iron along the bottom of the front to back tubes... But it may be fine how it is now anyways.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #152

That looks good Jim. I'm sure it will add strength.

BTW, there's a chart on the underside of the lid of the welder, and it will guide you towards the correct wire speed and voltage.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #153

I was looking at that, but I was guessing at the gauge of the steel also. Thanks for the tip though The welder has an auto figure it out setting, but I don't know how to use it and my dad's on holidays... I think it should be sufficient though how it turned out. It should help with side ways force, not sure how much strength it will add for up and down force.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #154

For up and down force, it would be best to get a length of DOM tubing, slice it in half (the long way), and weld it to each bottom length. The DOM wouldn't need to be very thick.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #155

I might just leave it how it is, and see if it works out. If I break it, weld up the crack in the old swing arm, plate it with a thicker plate, then add the tube or angle iron to the bottom. It probably doesn't matter, but I don't want to make it too heavy.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #156

Put the rear axle back together, the swing arm is not really bolted in, just hanging there so everything would stop rolling away as I attempted to bolt the axle back onto it. I'm going to pick up some new bolts one of these days, either that or just clean the threads up on the ones I have. I also need to find or make the spacers WeldandGrind recommends, I don't know what I did with the ones I had.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #157

You're getting there.

I like the OUT OF SERVICE sign. As if someone would push the starter and ride off! That's great!

The Beast almost looks like a mid engine design.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #158

Thanks Doc Yeah hopefully I'll get it together soon, and then back to the Hondas... The out of service sign is fun, I like to move it from one project to another...

What do you mean by mid engine design?

By the way, your avatar does not display for me, just a broken link image.

My throttle cable arrived, my jets will hopefully be in at the beginning of this week, and then I just need to fix the clutch lever perch I broke. A whole bunch of stuff in the front end needs tightening up too but I want to get the rest back together first.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #159

I've got another set of spacers here for you. They're on my work bench.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I've got another set of spacers here for you. They're on my work bench.
Thank you sir, how is your beast coming along? If you need to bring it over to the shop at my parents, there's room now...

Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #161

I'm gonna rob Son of Weldangrind's new Mikuni for my Beast, and I'll install the Keihin PZ30 on his XR200R. Then, the following:

- Plate the swingarm like yours, and check the bearing condition.

- Install the race CDI.

- Weld the muffler flange on and install the new muffler.

- Put the body back on. :wink:

Your shop offer is very tempting; thanks! I should get my shed project done first, but the weather isn't cooperating anyway. Are you available any nights this week?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #162

Well I think I was mentioning to you my new work situation... (full time), that's an adjustment but I only work days until about 4:30 usually, so really after work (5 ish) could work... So long as I don't stay too late, I like to go to bed a little earlier when I have to wake up early. No more going to bed at 12:30 on a regular basis. If I'm tired I'll go to bed around 9ish, but 10 - 11 works too so long as I don't do it every day... So yes, whatever day works for you I'm sure we can work something out... Maybe you can show me what I need to do to do a good job oiling that uni filter, I've only used dry filters in the past.

PS, I forgot to point out my one power fist tool I'm actually happy with shown in the picture above, that angle grinder has had no issues

Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #163

It seems to me that the motor is mounted further aft than usual, or as compared to my Kawasaki ATV at any rate.

I've never been able to make an avatar for myself. I can't find a pic small enough to work....

Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #164

Sounds great Jim, I'll send you a text message later.

Doc, you can reduce the size of a photo using MS Paint if you wish. There are several more sophisticated programs, but Paint will do it. Just open a photo using paint, click on Image, click on Strech/Skew and input whatever you wish in the Stretch category. For starters, you could input 50% in the horizontal and vertical fields and then save as a different file name (so as to not alter your original photo). Then open your newly modified photo in whatever picture viewer you wish to see the result.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #165

You can also resize with photobucket