Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #241

X-pro Templar x 250

Just ordered mine from powersports max! Can’t wait for it to arrive…

Old 06-01-2022, 07:19 AM   #242

Chatted with Joe Henner last night.
The woodruf key is $24, and he was happy to recommend the correct flywheel puller on Amazon.
In chatting with him his big bore kit punches the motor up to 300cc, and he also seems to have head work, cams, intake and exhaust available.
I won’t get into prices but for what is essentially custom work they seem very reasonable. You could buy a new 172fmm and his 300cc kit both for less than a grand.
For now I just have the timing advance key on the way, along with a 40 tooth rear sprocket and an oil cooler. My genuine Mikuni showed up last night and it’s a thing of beauty.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 06-01-2022, 08:55 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
For now I just have the timing advance key on the way, along with a 40 tooth rear sprocket and an oil cooler. My genuine Mikuni showed up last night and it’s a thing of beauty.
Which model/size Mikuni carb did you get? VM30?

My X250 is half assembled in the garage. Delivered in only 5 days from order date, and it was over Memorial Day weekend!

I have a busy work week but will get it done by Saturday for a test drive.

Gee, this is one impressive bike. Super heavy triple tree and beefy USD forks (and a real big, clamped front axel!). The hubs are tough looking, and those oversized spokes are also tough looking (and short for strength!). Everything about this bike sez enduro. This is not a good "first" bike. My sons both want to learn to ride better so they can try it. The seat height must be at least 35". Even without the Handlebars attached, it is taller than the TBR7 in the garage. Nice to see that 520 chain too!

Pics soon.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #244

Glad to hear you got it in so fast!
Yes I’ve got the VM30. Interesting note though-the stripped down version of this bike has a pe28. I’m sure either a 28 or 30 would work

Old 06-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #245

Quote:
My MSO states 9 horsepower so I’ve asked to have an amended one sent.
I also kindly asked if the body type could be shortened to just motorcycle, instead of off-road motorcycle…we shall see lol.

Glad to hear they have new inventory. X-pro doesn’t yet, but they have the stripped model…which I also noticed has a PE28 instead of 30.

I’ve sent Joe Henner a message, thanks ExMxer. Gonna see what all he has for these bikes.
All I did was message X-Pro about my MCO stating off-road motorcycle and me having trouble getting it plated at the DMV with the intention of buying it for on road purposes, and they told me they'll send a corrected MCO/BOS immediately. Currently waiting on it.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbindisbihhh View Post
All I did was message X-Pro about my MCO stating off-road motorcycle and me having trouble getting it plated at the DMV with the intention of buying it for on road purposes, and they told me they'll send a corrected MCO/BOS immediately. Currently waiting on it.
Same, they got back to me today and said they’d be happy to correct the title and change the type to just motorcycle.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:49 PM   #247

Quote:
The woodruf key is $24, and he was happy to recommend the correct flywheel puller on Amazon.
In chatting with him his big bore kit punches the motor up to 300cc, and he also seems to have head work, cams, intake and exhaust available.
I won’t get into prices but for what is essentially custom work they seem very reasonable. You could buy a new 172fmm and his 300cc kit both for less than a grand.
Waiting with lots of anticipation to see the difference each of your new mods will produce. Please post all your results. Interesting to see Joe Henner is so reasonably priced. Great info keep it coming!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:51 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 View Post
Just ordered mine from powersports max! Can’t wait for it to arrive…
You will be happy! It's a lot of bike for the money!

Old 06-02-2022, 07:35 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Waiting with lots of anticipation to see the difference each of your new mods will produce. Please post all your results. Interesting to see Joe Henner is so reasonably priced. Great info keep it coming!
Me too lol.
Really looking forward to seeing what a difference, if any, the oil cooler makes.
To hear it told the timing key makes a huge perceived difference, we shall see.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:30 PM   #250

Quote:
You will be happy! It's a lot of bike for the money!
I did a lot of research and decided on the Templar x. Then they were sold out! I just kept checking the website every day and the other morning they were back available. I must have ordered it just in time because later on in the day they were sold out again. The customer service team said it will be 2-3 months until they are back in stock so I really lucked out.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #251

Nice! The frame, swingarm, front forks, headset/handlebar mount, hubs/spokes/wheels are all excellent. You will be surprised at the high quality and high end build. I can't wait to ride it...I did get the orange I ordered. Half assembled, and I am real busy at work, but distracted. I just want to finish putting it together!

And this frame can handle higher horsepower engine, and has space for it

And the controls are upgraded too, with adjustable levers on both sides and a roller type throttle. The levers have deep doglegs, which are easier to pull, and the adjustable levers allow you to set it where you are comfortable. It is an amazing package for less than some people pay, or about the same as for Bashan 229cc clones, TBR7, Hawk, etc. But then, this is a taller enduro platform, not really a dual sport. Nice!

Last edited by Thumper; 06-02-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:34 PM   #252

Quote:
You got lucky. I email my Order on Monday and received a call on Tuesday saying all they could offer me was a Remanufactured bike shipped completely preassembled on a pallet with Xtra wrapping she said. "Remanufactured".. That Could be scary.. Oh well. If your unhappy with yours and your close to Tennessee I'll buy it...
NOW I SEE why you would buy it from me. Wow.

I'll post details on the build elsewhere, but I got it running for a test drive tonight. I did not realize that the starter wouldn't engage unless you pull the brake. After I tested the starter button and kill switch connectors with a voltmeter, and got stumped on an incline attempting to use bump start method (I assumed the coil was charged). I pulled the brake and it started instantly.

Humiliating

But here is the end result... Starts instantly without choke once modestly warmed up. Nice engine. I can feel the additional power (compared to CG 229cc clone). But the real difference is the suspension. Holy cow. Big, stiff frame. Nice. I haven't made any adjustments yet. Much more supple and there is more travel compared to my Storm USD (immediately obvious). I will want to stiffen it up. Might need heavier fork oil, but I can do that. And the engine has potential. Oh-yeah NICE exhaust note, willing power with stock carb/jetting. It pops on deceleration, so obviously can use a bigger main jet or needle shim. No problem

I looked at the Templar 250 without the adjustable shocks, rack, or engine gaurd It is under $1500 at powersportsmax (where I got my Templar X 250 for ~300 more). It has the same engine and approximate frame dimensions. Also has the 528 chain. If I didn't get the Templar X I would buy the Templar 250. The only drawback is whether or not you will be able to plate the bike. Seems like a crap shoot and depends on your state.

Last edited by Thumper; 06-03-2022 at 08:23 AM.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:43 AM   #253

Well, it’s definitely not a 30mm carb in the Templar X.
The Mikuni VM30 dwarfs the stock unit-its actually very similar in size to a 26mm Mikuni.
So…off to take measurements lol.
In fact-on the engine side of the carb they are identical- 35mm OD, 28mm ID
Filter side stock is 49mm OD, 44mm OD for the VM26. The inner diameters are very different but so is the shape-kind of a wash really.
Finally at the needle jet, measuring the distance from top to bottom of the slide the stock unit is 28mm vs, you guessed it, 26mm for the VM26.
So it is definitively a 28mm carb.
Hmmm. I may throw the VM26 in there just to see how it runs.

Last edited by Okierider; 06-05-2022 at 06:08 AM.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #254

I had the bike apart yesterday to look at components and check connections. I will have photos to post. I took out the adjustable rear shock and also removed the stainless steel exhaust. Both nice. I have replacement crushable donuts and re-installed/reassembled everything. All nice components.

The stock carb is tightly wedged in there. I have not removed it because it is running fine. It starts right up with choke, needs choke for a few seconds but then starts easily without choke. I have only run the bike a few times, maybe 5 minutes each time, but the only jetting issue seems to be main jet (pops on deceleration). That may be solve with a needle shim and bumping the main jet up one size.

I am not going to replace the carb for a while. Jetting should take care of it until I figure out how it really performs in the first 1000 miles.

I took it out for the first offroad test for about an hour. Once the engine is warm, the lean symptoms mostly disappear, and it is surprisingly powerful. It reminds of my ~1980 XR500, I picked up (new) in Albuquerque. I need to adjust the damping on the forks and rear shock, but the long travel is great in the ruts and bumps.

Last edited by Thumper; 06-05-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #255

Quote:
Me too lol.
Really looking forward to seeing what a difference, if any, the oil cooler makes.
To hear it told the timing key makes a huge perceived difference, we shall see.
After some more extensive testing, the 249cc engine is quick to rev and generates lots of torque even at low rpm. Plenty of power! Even without any advance! I looked at the specs for the X. The carb is listed as a PE28