Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #16

Glad to see there are more options now. Was really pissed that i missed out on the Brozz. But this looks to be the perfect replacement, especially with the right sized tires from the start.

It is hard to tell, but does this have a drum or disc rear brake? I actually preferred the drum on the Brozz as the brake actuator didn't stick down like it did on the Hawk 250.

Where did you purchase this one?

Is it the same motor as the Hawk 250? As one website claims it is a Zongshen motor.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibrat View Post
Northrider, when you were building the bikes, you mentioned the level of quality. I was wondering if you needed to add the loctite to the bolts like the Hawk builds require? Also, are you looking at any mods for the BMS?
I’m currently waiting for my delivery from Cali.
I’m also dealing with the cold down here in Chicagoland and will see if my wife will allow me to build it in the living room. Lol. Just hoping to get it done before I need to winterize it.
Honestly you should use some sort of thread locker on all bolts. Especially on a motorcycle like this.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #18

Half the parts on that bike are on my Bashan Storm, could you show the speedometer, and does it have a gas gauge?

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
I am currently waiting for my BMS CRP 250 bought from Don Hopper’s site, shopapmc.com. Price is $1399. Not including shipping.
What sold me on the bike was, it’s a Bashan, 49 state legal, the 21,18 wheels, dual disc brakes, inverted forks, and a low 29” seat height. I’m hoping to teach my son how to ride a motorcycle and was going to buy the DB-41H enforcer but Don talked me into the BMS with the lower seat height.
Hoping to be a nice Father-Son project on the build.
Any specific mods needed for the bike would truly be appreciated.
Did you end up getting a shipping quote from them, if so how much for you? I tried but didn't know half the information to put.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I thought the brakes on the Hawk were bad until I cleaned them with brake cleaner. There is a protective oily film on them out of the crate. Clean them and you will find they will be much better.
Yes, I agree. We took brake cleaner to both front and rear before installing the calipers.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #21

Quote:
I am currently waiting for my BMS CRP 250 bought from Don Hopper’s site, shopapmc.com. Price is $1399. Not including shipping.
What sold me on the bike was, it’s a Bashan, 49 state legal, the 21,18 wheels, dual disc brakes, inverted forks, and a low 29” seat height. I’m hoping to teach my son how to ride a motorcycle and was going to buy the DB-41H enforcer but Don talked me into the BMS with the lower seat height.
Hoping to be a nice Father-Son project on the build.
Any specific mods needed for the bike would truly be appreciated.
Well, prepare to be disappointed about the seat height! I also thought it was 28.7". I wanted to be sure, so I called two different sellers and asked specifically about the seat height. They both confirmed 28.7". HOWEVER, in reality, the seat is closer to 34". I was really bummed at first -- it put me up on my toes, and I don't like that feeling.

My husband found a good video of a guy lowering the seat by cutting out some of the foam. That youtube is here:
I was really nervous, but I knew I had to give it a try. I did the cutting last night, and took about 2-1/2 inches out of the foam. I wasn't as smooth as the guy on the video, so I've got to spend some time shaping it tonight. I'm hoping to get the cover reinstalled tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm really using baby steps on this, because I don't want to screw it up.

We tested it last night in its rough uncovered form, and it really made a difference. I'm comfortably on the balls of my feet now, with my heels about an inch off the floor. I'm fine with that - it feels comfortable and in control. I have no idea how tall your son is, but I'm about 5'7", and have a 31.5" inseam.

When I get it put back together, I'll post a photo.

I really like your idea about the build being a good Dad-Son project, and I couldn't agree more. You two will have a blast! I'll let you know my results as soon as I get it finished. Don't hit the panic button quite yet!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
Glad to see there are more options now. Was really pissed that i missed out on the Brozz. But this looks to be the perfect replacement, especially with the right sized tires from the start.

It is hard to tell, but does this have a drum or disc rear brake? I actually preferred the drum on the Brozz as the brake actuator didn't stick down like it did on the Hawk 250.

Where did you purchase this one?

Is it the same motor as the Hawk 250? As one website claims it is a Zongshen motor.
This has disc brakes, both front and rear. We purchased it from SuperiorPowersports. It sounds as if people have had mixed results dealing with them, but our experience was very positive. It cost exactly what the posted price was, (times two in our case). There were absolutely no hidden or unexpected costs. It shipped quickly, and delivery was not too slow. We live in a very rural area of northern Minnesota, and shipments here are always a bit of an ordeal. This one was pretty great, though. We ordered on October 29, and received the bikes twelve days later on November 9. They were packed well, and had no damage.

I am almost certain it is a Zongshen motor. I'm sure I saw that name somewhere on the innards of the bike after we had it pretty much taken apart, but I can't find it now that everything is put back together.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #23

I don’t get why the stick with the low HP spec CG motors, no Chinese bike has that motor here anymore unless a farmer bike.
The better spec motor wouldn’t cost a few pennies more.
Air cooled OHC 249cc or the 232.6cc much better power out of the crate and lucky it might cost $20 extra at the factory.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravin01 View Post
Half the parts on that bike are on my Bashan Storm, could you show the speedometer, and does it have a gas gauge?
Hey -- we watch all of your videos. Thanks for those!!

No, there's no gas guage. We checked, and there's no sending plate and no float in the tank, so it's not set up for a future mod. There's a Neutral indicator, and a nice gear indicator.

Anything else you're curious about, just ask. Thanks again for the videos, we've learned a lot, and really enjoy them!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:

Brozz is still available; not sure if the older ones are still available with the drum, but the newer one just shown recently by the Peace Sports rep who are the importers for the Brozz now have rear disc brakes, which you don't want. The new Taotao enduro does have drum brakes if you want to check that one out, although it has 19/17 wheels.

The BMS site itself states the Zongshen engine, although on the EPA/DOT certificate, it lists the engine manufacturer as Bashan. TMEC states the same thing, but also uses Zongshen engines as their OEM, so my guess is in some way, since the engines are proprietary to the respective brands, they can list themselves as manufacturer?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #26

I had this some years back in China
17 inch wheels both ends 200cc CG motor
They are a tall framed bike.
Worked ok and got me around but oddball for body parts and front hub here
I suggest high quality copper sibtered brake pads as these are just a common pad you could get from EBC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0464273-CAF4-43A2-82A0-614F932B5084.jpg (14.6 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg 0316840A-B06F-4688-BA55-86EB185111C0.jpg (9.1 KB, 816 views)

Old 11-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #27

What we've done for setup

Thanks to our months of lurking here, we learned some of the things we should do when setting up the bikes. Before we started installing stuff, we did the following:
  • Removed the forks and emptied the factory oil. It came out pretty clean, a little darker in color than the new oil. Each fork drained out 225 ml., and we put 225 ml. of Maxima 10 weight into each fork.
  • Tightened the spokes and trued the rims.
  • Cleaned the disc brakes with brake cleaner before installing the calipers.
  • Adjusted valves to .003 inches. From the factory, the valves were way too tight, with no gap at all. We did this on the compression stroke.
  • Lubed axles and shock pivots with marine grease.
  • Put Loctite on all of the bolts, and snugged them down well.

We still have a few things to do, but they all need to be done out in the garage. (I've got to admit, we're not ready to move them out of the house quite yet!) It's supposed to warm up to almost 40 degrees on Wednesday, so we'll do the rest of the list then:
  • Change the engine oil.
  • Flush the brakes.
  • Lube the chain.
  • Fire them up!

So looking forward to that last one!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
I don’t get why the stick with the low HP spec CG motors, no Chinese bike has that motor here anymore unless a farmer bike.
The better spec motor wouldn’t cost a few pennies more.
Air cooled OHC 249cc or the 232.6cc much better power out of the crate and lucky it might cost $20 extra at the factory.
I don't know why either. I am kinda holding out for someone to bring in a bike with one of the more modern 249cc OHC engines. But until then this model in particular is very tempting.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #29

Quote:
I don't know why either. I am kinda holding out for someone to bring in a bike with one of the more modern 249cc OHC engines. But until then this model in particular is very tempting.
They won’t cause costs a little more and then other parts need to be stocked
Also regulations they may need to do testing for plates and riad legsl
Keeping quite is easier for them
Or just buy the bigger cc power plant n do it your self but that’s not cheap doing it the long way round

Old 11-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
They won’t cause costs a little more and then other parts need to be stocked
Also regulations they may need to do testing for plates and riad legsl
Keeping quite is easier for them
Or just buy the bigger cc power plant n do it your self but that’s not cheap doing it the long way round
Honestly i dont even know where i would be able to find of of the 249cc OHC engines. I would buy one if i could and see about putting it in a donor frame. Do you think you would be able to sell them?