Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I believe Rotella 10/30 has friction modifiers that will damage the clutch. The 15/40 doesn't.

So I dodged a bullet. Thanks!

g.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #17

Excellent video from another computer nerd of 35 years.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #18

Thanks! That's the same amount of time I've got in too. \o/

So the height of the bike bothers me - I'm on my tip-toes when sitting on it. I'm assuming the most effective way to drop it about 3" is replacing the rear shock, correct? If that's the case, can someone recommend a suitable replacement?

Thanks!

g.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #19

Just put on some boots, also the suspension will break in. I would also look at adjusting the preload on the rear shock. Lowering it that much will drastically affect the handling. If you're able to put one foot flat on the ground, that's really more than adequate, it's more adjusting to the bike, otherwise you drastically limit yourself in terms of available bikes in the future.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Just put on some boots, also the suspension will break in.
Indeed franque. Most of my Hondoids have sunk quite a bit over time.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #21

I haven't got thru the whole video, yet,....but I have to say,...very good...excellent..! I can see your video helping lots of potential first time, and repeat buyers in the future. It answers a lot of questions.
And yes,..Japanese dealers get them pretty much the same way. When I worked at the dealership level in the 70's,..it was my first job....we sold all 4 major brands. And as a new worker, I put together my share of bikes.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 07-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #22

Torque specs

Using the search function on here type in: Peace powersports Atlanta Brozz torque specs.. That will put you in the ballpark. Also you can find general torque specs for any size fastener/bolt/nut online.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 07-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleway4 View Post
I haven't got thru the whole video, yet,....but I have to say,...very good...excellent..! I can see your video helping lots of potential first time, and repeat buyers in the future. It answers a lot of questions.
And yes,..Japanese dealers get them pretty much the same way. When I worked at the dealership level in the 70's,..it was my first job....we sold all 4 major brands. And as a new worker, I put together my share of bikes.
I started off much the same way. At 17 I was detailing/washing bikes, then at 18 I was an assembler, pulling crates from the warehouse and putting them together. If the bike was sold I had to test ride it, if not polish it up and put it on the showroom floor. Then I went to Hocking Tech for auto mechanics and then to MMI for bikes. Graduated on a Friday and started working as a Tech the following Monday. Did that for 5yrs and then was a framing Carpenter for 2yrs, and then found my calling as a welder/fabricator, which was so much better because I could be creative and every project was different.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
I started off much the same way. At 17 I was detailing/washing bikes, then at 18 I was an assembler, pulling crates from the warehouse and putting them together. If the bike was sold I had to test ride it, if not polish it up and put it on the showroom floor. Then I went to Hocking Tech for auto mechanics and then to MMI for bikes. Graduated on a Friday and started working as a Tech the following Monday. Did that for 5yrs and then was a framing Carpenter for 2yrs, and then found my calling as a welder/fabricator, which was so much better because I could be creative and every project was different.
Frank...as mentioned, the bike shop was my first job...we were a very busy shop, selling all the major brands...at least busy until winter. Winters in upstate NY made for slow motorcycle business, so I always took a lay-off for about 3, maybe 4 months. After about 4 or 5 yrs of this routine, I went to work at the newly opened Honda car dealer for year round employment, still worked on bikes and snowmobiles at home. (I had had 2 yrs of Auto Tech at Morrisville Ag & Tech College).
Motorcycle repairs still remained #1 choice and hobby............
Still working on Honda Cars now,....but in VA.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 07-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:

Thanks! It's way longer than I originally thought it would be, but I think it adequately covers the whole process. I'm hoping folks jump around to find the bits they're interested in. I suspect sitting through what basically amounts to a full-length movie would get really boring, really fast.

So regarding the ride height... I learned something very important towards the end of my riding practice yesterday. It's hard to be intimidated by something when you're too busy to remember to be intimidated. So yeah, the ride height is a total nothingburger at this point. I've got ~9 miles worth of zipping around my back field and side yard and doing slow cone weaves.

I originally had my cone course set up at 15' spacing, but after I found the MSF BRC Range Cards online, I shortened that to 12'. I'm pretty confident that I've got that sucker nailed by now.

I think tomorrow I'll change it so every other cone has a 3' perpendicular offset. If I don't nail my re-test it won't be for lack of trying.

Here's a few things I've noticed as a screaming newbie...

The decals are VERY easy to peel off! That was a pleasant surprise. The whole "Strongest" thing gave the bike a "decorated by a 12 year old" vibe. It'll make it easier to re-paint all the plastics white at some point.

Do NOT misplace or remove the little cap from the battery overflow vent! Turns out, bouncing the battery around will cause it to leak from that little vent. I've now got a front sprocket cover I have to re-paint because the acid ate a lot of the paint off and started to corrode the aluminum. A spray bottle bath of the whole area using a Baking Soda & water mix stopped the acid in its tracks. It also started corroding the head of the swing arm bolt. :(

The shifter bends quite easily. I ran a gap and got hung up on a box of scrapped wiring from the F-15 and it bent the shifter. I got it bent back, but would really appreciate if someone could recommend a less...pliant replacement.

The instrument cluster has better "idiot" light displays than the '19 Hawk DLX that is shown in St. Motocheez of Chinabike's video. None of them are visible until lit from behind. This is most apparent with the check engine light. You can't see it's there if it's not lit, unlike the '19 one with the bright yellow background. The turn signal indicators are split into a left and right instead of one combined light that appears to be the case with the '19 model.

The service I received from "Smart Deals Now" on Amazon has been very good. I emailed them on the 9th with the VIN #, and they shipped out the MSO & other docs that same day. Zero issue with getting the bike registered in Washington State. Registration was $122.53. The Hawk was shipped from Dallas Power Sports, which I suspect is the "actual" seller on Amazon. If I were to buy another bike (it's gonna happen. ), it will be from them - either directly or via Amazon.

In the next week or so I'm going to do another video that covers the things I've learned so far - is there anything you folks would like to see covered specifically?

Thanks again for being an awesome community!

g.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Using the search function on here type in: Peace powersports Atlanta Brozz torque specs.. That will put you in the ballpark. Also you can find general torque specs for any size fastener/bolt/nut online.

Thanks, I'll do that!

g.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #27

"I suspect sitting through what basically amounts to a full-length movie would get really boring, really fast."

no, not really....I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing...
2019 Brozz 250

Old 07-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Frank...as mentioned, the bike shop was my first job...we were a very busy shop, selling all the major brands...at least busy until winter. Winters in upstate NY made for slow motorcycle business, so I always took a lay-off for about 3, maybe 4 months. After about 4 or 5 yrs of this routine, I went to work at the newly opened Honda car dealer for year round employment, still worked on bikes and snowmobiles at home. (I had had 2 yrs of Auto Tech at Morrisville Ag & Tech College).
Motorcycle repairs still remained #1 choice and hobby............
Still working on Honda Cars now,....but in VA.
Funny story, the bikes I assembled had to have a Tech sign off on them for legal purposes. The head mechanic Mark was always a dick and would say he wasn't signing off anything that I had put together. But we had 3 other Techs that would sign off on anything I assembled.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #29

So yesterday I walked into my workshop to find the Hawk in a puddle of fuel. :(

Much cursing and grumbling later, I find this:
https://i.imgur.com/Jijcdamh.jpg

Someone let Magilla Gorilla loose at the tank assembly line. :( the bolt in the back corner of the fuel pump was over-tightened and it broke the frame of the pump.

It took it two days of rattling to start leaking fuel.

The fuel tank itself was leaking through the bolt caps (same issue the Motocheez had) as well as having a "split" on one of the ears of the tank:
https://i.imgur.com/Rhg6UL9h.jpg

The seller is reaching out to the manufacturer to see about getting me a replacement fuel pump and a tank. I've also emailed RPS to see if I can buy a spare from them.

I'm glad I got two days of good riding practice - as it is, I doubt I'll have a running bike by my re-test on the 24th. :(

g.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15sim View Post
So yesterday I walked into my workshop to find the Hawk in a puddle of fuel. :(

Much cursing and grumbling later, I find this:
https://i.imgur.com/Jijcdamh.jpg

Someone let Magilla Gorilla loose at the tank assembly line. :( the bolt in the back corner of the fuel pump was over-tightened and it broke the frame of the pump.

It took it two days of rattling to start leaking fuel.

The fuel tank itself was leaking through the bolt caps (same issue the Motocheez had) as well as having a "split" on one of the ears of the tank:
https://i.imgur.com/Rhg6UL9h.jpg

The seller is reaching out to the manufacturer to see about getting me a replacement fuel pump and a tank. I've also emailed RPS to see if I can buy a spare from them.

I'm glad I got two days of good riding practice - as it is, I doubt I'll have a running bike by my re-test on the 24th. :(

g.

Any updates on this?