Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
And it may have been bad. That doesn't mean it also won't need to be jetted properly and the valve lash still needs to be set.
I plan on adjusting the valves later I have to learn how first and possibly upgrade to the mikuni carb/jets.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
And it may have been bad. That doesn't mean it also won't need to be jetted properly and the valve lash still needs to be set.
And now you have a carburetor you can take apart without worrying to much about messing it up as one is on the way. Good practice for when the new one comes in, spare parts too.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I plan on adjusting the valves later I have to learn how first and possibly upgrade to the mikuni carb/jets.
Good time to learn while you wait for the new carburetor. It's not hard at all, and all you really need is a 10mm wrench, a small adjustable wrench for the adjusters, and either a socket to pull the plug so you can use the kick starter to turn the motor over, or a big flathead and a 14mm socket, extension, and ratchet to turn the flywheel manually. There are a few good videos on how to do the valve adjustment as well as numerous posts here. I recommend setting the valves to .07mm (.003in) for the break in period as the gap will shrink during the first few hundred miles. After break in, set them to .05mm (.002in)

The reason we keep pushing the point to do the valves now is simple. A large majority (90%+) of people that come here asking why their bike doesn't run it ends up being one of two things, or both. The stock carb jets are too lean or the valve lash was never set. That is not an exaggeration either.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #19

Small update I got it running with a mikuni replacement carb I still need to adjust the valves.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #20

I remember the first time I adjusted the valves on a riding mower. Nothing quite makes you feel like a stud when you finish the job and the engine just purrs for you. Little did I know then eventually down the road later on, I would end up a small engine mechanic for a few years. Best job I ever had.