Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Mine also say Golden Boy...I figured that was customized just for me :-)

I did some testing today based on the great feedback from the group. First I pulled off the Tourfella luggage and hit the highway. Got to 73 and it was pretty stable. Put the luggage on...empty...and it was still stable. I loaded it up and it wasn't so good. So it is the fact that I have too much weight in the rear and it's lightening up the front end so it wanders a bit. That explains why lying on the tank helps some. I weighted what I had in each case and I had 18.6 pounds in the left, 21 in the right and 9 in the top. They are rated to hold 22 pounds in each side and 11 pounds up top. I'm going to go through my stuff and take out some of my stuff...I'm an over packer so I think I can knock it down a lot and then I'll test again...once the rain stops.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
If you can,try to adjust your cases to sit more forward.Don't be afraid to use the rear part of the seat for some of the heavier items.I bought some roll top dry bags just for that sort of thing.My CB500X is very sensitive to weight in my cases.The luggage sits back behind the rear axle center line.Mine will get a case of head shake with to much crap in my cases.

It's hard to see in the pic below,but the center line of my side cases sit back just behind the center line of the rear axle.It's pretty clear the trunk is nearly past the rear wheel.I didn't have much wiggle room with these cases.They have mounting plates.I'm changing to Tusk large silver panniers.They are direct mount.I have to drill and mount them myself.I'll be mounting them a bit more forward,if possible.They're a little narrower but have more room as well.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #17

ben2go, the stock RX3 luggage does not allow for any adjustment. The stock cases are well behind the axle so your point is valid....weight behind the axle...but there is not much one can do about the bag placement due to the crash bar. The optional metal cases could be adjusted by drilling new holes for the mounting pucks. I have loaded my bike down with lots of camping gear, using the metal bags. Even with the Shinko 804/805 combo I did not have any instability at speed.

EDIT: I just took a close look at the metal cases on my bike and find that they are actually centered on the rear axle.

I'll point out that air pressure in the tires can play a big part in stability, along with how tight your grip is on the bars. A super large windscreen can also raise hell with stability.

Peter Y.

Last edited by pyoungbl; 10-22-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Tags
244, shinko, speed, wobble