Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #16

Thats Great NEWS for us Other Qlink owners - Thanks Doc. I do have a SPARE Speedo Cable Just waiting......LMAO. BTW I oiled mine up prior to ever riding her because This was a Known issue thanks to all the previous q owners.....Thanks for Saving us! LOL
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #17

Also on my Q's the only part that ever fell off was the shift lever and I was able to circle back and find it. Starting off in 4th was not so easy though... :roll:

I Lock Tited it (blue) after that.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #18

Quote:
SpudRider wrote:
If you have problems acquiring a Zongshen CDI unit, please let us know. We will try to help you acquire one. Smile Also, the CDI unit for the Lifan, 150cc, pit bikes appears it might work for the Zong if you construct a new plug to change the wire inputs to the connectors. Wink
Thank you Spud. I already contacted few people. Will see if they have it.

CDI unit for LIfan sounds like a good idea too. But don't feel confident enough to mess with wires :?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCAndrew
Since the main subjects here is CDI's and I don't want to hijack this thread by no means, but can anyone tell me if the cdi's have been reliable on the Qlinks? Any links to alternative CDI's for the Qlinks? I'm thinking maybe I should have a Spare? Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
If you can find one for what you feel is a reasonable price, it doesn't hurt to have on in stock. As well, a spare solenoid, regulator and coil really make troubleshooting easier. It's not a matter of if these items will fail, but when.

To use your language, there are two kinds of hard drive: those that have failed, and those that will.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #20

Quote:
...I'm thinking maybe I should have a Spare? Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
I'm glad Doc can state the QLink, CDI units are reliable. However, I would still encourage you to get a spare CDI unit, Andrew. If nothing else, the spare CDI unit greatly facilitates troubleshooting electrical problems.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
I'm glad Doc can state the QLink, CDI units are reliable. However, I would still encourage you to get a spare CDI unit, Andrew. If nothing else, the spare CDI unit greatly facilitates troubleshooting electrical problems.

Spud
I prefer to wait until I have a problem and then order the part that I might need since I have multiple bikes to ride. Seems that I can misplace a part easily or it ends up in the wrong state.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Spud
I prefer to wait until I have a problem and then order the part that I might need since I have multiple bikes to ride. Seems that I can misplace a part easily or it ends up in the wrong state.
I agree. If you have multiple bikes to ride, keeping a lot of spare parts can get expensive, especially when you can hop on another bike and ride until the replacement part arrives.

However, if you have only one bike, it costs less money to keep a few, essential spare parts, and you are much less likely to misplace them. In addition, if you have only one motorcycle, it is absolutely painful to wait for parts arrive as you miss prime riding weather. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #23

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Replaced the CDI and the main fuse today. Still nothing.
Replaced the spark plug, so I've got spark now and it's getting fuel.
Even starting fluid didn't do the trick. What am I missing?

The good news is a found a bad ground and got the electric starter working again, kicking that thing was getting old (and painful).

Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #24

As I was waiting for a response, I changed the coil with another one I had sitting around. It started right up. The only problem now is it is having trouble idling, it may be flooded, though.

Can light be shed on this question: What is the difference between the coil for a 200cc motor and a 125cc motor? Should I worry about this difference or are they both run on a 12v system and have no substantial differences?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
As I was waiting for a response, I changed the coil with another one I had sitting around. It started right up. The only problem now is it is having trouble idling, it may be flooded, though.

Can light be shed on this question: What is the difference between the coil for a 200cc motor and a 125cc motor? Should I worry about this difference or are they both run on a 12v system and have no substantial differences?
I'm puzzled. :( That happens...

IFAIK Chinacoils are Chinacoils, size does not matter (here at least).

Also I've never seen a coil fail.

Others will chime in....

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #26

I think a coil is pretty much a coil. It is possible that the plug wire is bad.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #27

If it runs, I'd use the coil that's on there now. FWIW, Jim's Beast coil was bad, but the wire was good. I had a brand new coil that had a bad wire, so we combined them. :roll:

Glad to hear you got it running, BrianW.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #28

I'm glad you fixed the problem, Brian.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #29

Thank you for all of your input, fellas.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #30

You're welcome.

Brian, do you have any interest in a post mortem? If you peel back the boot where the plug wire meets the coil, you can unscrew the coil wire from the coil. Once those two items are separated, you can start measuring with a multimeter.

My guess is that there will be no continuity in the plug wire, but the coil could be the problem. Measure end to end on the wire with the meter set at continuity. If there is continuity, set the meter to ohms and measure between the two terminals (likely black and green), then measure between one terminal and the plug wire stud and finally measure between the remaining terminal and plug wire stud. Once you post the numbers, I'll compare them with a known good coil I have.

The point to this exercise is to determine if the coil is still useable with a new wire.