Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #16

I tried ordering the sidecar separately with no luck. Actually when I thought about it some more I would only want the total package.
I can understand why Shineray would not want to go through the EPA certification because the sidecar market in the USA is very small. Ural sold 604 in the USA in 2013.
Still might buy a 2020 Ural.

I have owned a 2012 and a 2015 Ural sidecar and also a 2012 Royal Enfield with Cozy sidecar plus a Icebear sidecar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14539025736_00871c4219_c.jpg (89.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9835_3_21.jpg (98.5 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg parade1.jpg (97.1 KB, 231 views)

Old 05-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #17

If they make sidecars in China someone needs to start exporting them to North America. I'd buy one for my old Honda or if cheap enough make a dual sport sidecar for the TT! I wonder if a dual sport sidecar has been done before... I need to do some googling now.

It has, very interesting...

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Last edited by Biker_Andy; 05-22-2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added link

Old 05-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I tried ordering the sidecar separately with no luck. Actually when I thought about it some more I would only want the total package.
I can understand why Shineray would not want to go through the EPA certification because the sidecar market in the USA is very small. Ural sold 604 in the USA in 2013.
Still might buy a 2020 Ural.

I have owned a 2012 and a 2015 Ural sidecar and also a 2012 Royal Enfield with Cozy sidecar plus a Icebear sidecar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Andy View Post
If they make sidecars in China someone needs to start exporting them to North America. I'd buy one for my old Honda or if cheap enough make a dual sport sidecar for the TT! I wonder if a dual sport sidecar has been done before... I need to do some googling now.
Barnone: I remember your Icebear--always loved the photos. It just seemed surrealistic on the road, not to mention at the (in)famous Dragon of all roads! Keep in mind that in 2013, we were in the middle of a neverending recession, and 604 is more than I expected! I still feel that the Genuine bike is way too plain, and come to think of it, when I went to Shineray's home site in China, they show other XY400's that Genuine should have considered before the plain-jane version they brought over; the side-car version we are discussing, as well as a cafe racer with a classic bubble fairing, and the one I think they REALLY should have considered (beside the sidecar version) is a scrambler. Sure, the sidecar version probably has to have a separate EPA/DOT certificate, so I understand the hesitation, but the two other versions are probably the models they already list on the current 2020 EPA/DOT certificate. Scrambler-- http://www.shineray.com/news/view?id=132 and Cafe Racer-- http://www.shineray.com/news/view?id=133 The model we have is handsome, don't get me wrong, but with the popularity of Ducati's Scrambler 400, probably among the already mentioned hipsters among others, surely Genuine could have offered the Shineray scrambler version of the XY400?!

Biker_Andy: Saferwholesale purports to sell sidecars, but I am not sure how reliable Saferwholesale is. But they list numerous ones at very high prices.
http://www.saferwholesale.com/Motorc...ars-s/1987.htm

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #19

Ural has never sold more than 600 to 800 sidecars per year in the US.
I should said 2012.
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...128-story.html
"JAN. 29, 2013 12 AM"
"The famed Russian sidecar motorcycle manufacturer Ural has reported all-time sales numbers for 2012, surpassing its previous high in 2006 and showing a 30% growth in sales from 2011 to 2012."
" The total number of Urals sold in the U.S. last year was 620."

"2013 has been a great year for Ural Motorcycles, as well, their newsletter informs us. The US is still the biggest market for Ural bikes, accounting for 604 units sold through 2013, from a total of 1206 unit manufactured."
"The best Ural dealer in the US is Ural of New England, who pushed 99 bikes. California also saw 73 Ural bikes sold in 2013, and was followed by Texas (43 units), Florida (39), New York (35) and Washington (29)."

Hardly a market that a manufacturer would want to get in.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #20

Couldn't imagine Genuine selling even that many XY400s since they started carrying them here. The regular XY400 I am talking about. I bet the scrambler model would have pulled more heart strings.

The numbers for Ural aren't too bad for an obscure, exotic motorcycle. Not thousands of them sold by any means, but probably more than the CSC RX3.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #21

Is the G400C reliable? I really like the look. If I didn't just pick up a 79 CB750k I'd consider one.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #22

I read about the G400C on other forums. Reliability seems average. Owners seem to all be happy with the responses by Genuine dealers when they have an issue.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Is the G400C reliable? I really like the look. If I didn't just pick up a 79 CB750k I'd consider one.
They have (had?) them at Scooter Dynasty in downtown L.A. Not sure if there are Genuine dealers out your way, but that might be the closest place to see and/or buy one if not. You could make an adventure out of it by taking the Gold Line light-rail straight to downtown. I had started a thread here in the 'Street' section specifically after looking at the bike and taking photos. My issue when I saw it last year was they wanted not only MSRP, but after taxes some magical fees that the sales guy quoted me over $6k out the door!? It was like they wanted the bike to stay in their showroom or something! But at least they had/still have (probably the same) one so you could see if for yourself and throw a leg over it. I liked the bike a lot, but they also had some kind of SYM 300cc motorcycle, made in Taiwan as opposed to China, that I would probably have taken over the 400cc Genuine for about the same price. I suggest if things are calming down from COVID and protesting police brutality in Minnesota, that you take a look (if the dealership isn't burned down )

TGB Delivery Scooter 150