Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #16

the threads are 35.7mm(1.405") and 1.5 pitch. Thanks again

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #17

The one I measured is exactly the same. FYI, the XR200 uses the same part for the valve covers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #18

Awesome! That's the best news I've heard all day!! I was looking at the valve covers and thinking they looked awfully similar . At that price I think I'll buy 3, replace the valve covers (sounds like a good time to adjust the valve lash) and keep the old ones as spares.

I am forever greatfull for kind-hearted individuals willing to help their fellow man

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #19

looking at that drawing, it appears to have the same clutch cable mounting tab as my engine. I have tried two clutch cables that were not a good fit for my broken one. I have been ordering them by overall length, but both cables had a shorter inner cable length and would not fit, and neither had the integral guard at the lever mount. Do you think it would be a safe bet that an XR200 clutch cable would suit my application? I don't know how much of the old cable broke off, so I can't get an accurate measurement, I did find what appears to be an exact part match with the integral guard on one Chinese sight, but it's A: out of stock, and B: I'd like to combine shipping costs if possible, and C: I can only assume that a Japanese part is somewhere between marginally and substantially higher quality than a Chinese clone

Apparently, my engine is a closer clone if this 81 XR200 engine. Generally speaking, are most of the parts direct replacements? Or are there substantial differences between the two? I will research this later tonight on my own, but I highly value your input, opinions, and experience.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG1911 View Post
...I am forever greatfull for kind-hearted individuals willing to help their fellow man
You just described Weldangrind. I don't know what we would do without him on these forums.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG1911 View Post
looking at that drawing, it appears to have the same clutch cable mounting tab as my engine. I have tried two clutch cables that were not a good fit for my broken one. I have been ordering them by overall length, but both cables had a shorter inner cable length and would not fit, and neither had the integral guard at the lever mount. Do you think it would be a safe bet that an XR200 clutch cable would suit my application? I don't know how much of the old cable broke off, so I can't get an accurate measurement, I did find what appears to be an exact part match with the integral guard on one Chinese sight, but it's A: out of stock, and B: I'd like to combine shipping costs if possible, and C: I can only assume that a Japanese part is somewhere between marginally and substantially higher quality than a Chinese clone

Apparently, my engine is a closer clone if this 81 XR200 engine. Generally speaking, are most of the parts direct replacements? Or are there substantial differences between the two? I will research this later tonight on my own, but I highly value your input, opinions, and experience.
Interesting question! I can't recall; what is the brand name of your bike? I know that the Roketa DB-07A is remarkably close to the '81 XR200, and that the Lifan GY5 is very similar as well.

Perhaps I can find an '81 clutch cable around here and compare it with my China bikes. Stay tuned.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #22

Best I can determine, It's a UM DS200('04 model) I'll update my signature with the info. This is the cable I was thinking of trying next, it's the only one I've seen online that has the lever guard like my broken stock one, but I still don't know the length. Looks like it's now back in stock, but I'd still be more interested in putting on a Honda part if possible.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #23

you could skip the cable all together and upgrade to a hydro clutch...

you would need toknow the length you wouldneed for the hose (the same length as the cable sheath roughly, and get whichever one is closest...) i had one of these on my pocket bike last year and loved it...

900mm length

1200mm length

Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #24

If I am correct, your bike is the same as mine and I used a 1974-1976 Honda XR75 Clutch Replacement Cable. It was a little short but it works perfectly.

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! --Homer Simpson

Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #25

Hmmmmmmmmm... Hydro clutch sounds veeeeeeeeeery interesting. I may look into that option soon, but I did just purchase and install a brand new conventional clutch lever, so for now I think I'll stick with the cable. Thanks for the heads up Edtardo, I'll check out the XR75 and XR200 options and see which one may work better.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #26

I'm surprised by the difference in the cables I measured. What I believe to be an '81 XR200 clutch cable has a 52" housing and a 55.5" cable, whereas the Lifan cable has a 39.75" housing and a 43" cable. The similarity is that the cable is approximately 3.5" longer than the housing in either case.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #27

Thanks WG, the first cable I bought and tried was 48.5", the second was 51" I think. Both were long enough to connect from lever to lever, but neither had enough inner cable length to go from the mounting tab to the trans lever. Based on your measurements, I believe the XR200 cable should work, and I'm inclined to try it next. My wife informs me that I've run out of "play" money for this pay period, so I'll have to wait until next Friday to obtain one. I should be able to get one at a local shop, so hopefully I'll report back on fitment next weekend

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #28

Perhaps item #2 is a good fit: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m3033#sch12267