Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
What are the wheel sizes for the Bashan Storm? I greatly prefer the conventional, 18-inch rear wheel, and 21-inch front wheel for a dual sport motorcycle.
I'm not sure Spud! I'll have to look it up. It appears to possibly be a 19/17 setup? The Storm seems more styled as a super-moto with mild dualy tires as opposed to a knobbied dirt bike with a 21/18 setup like the Hawk.
If I was to be doing mostly pavement and some mild trails, the 19/17 would be just fine. I'm not too partial to a 21 for the street, myself. That's all personal preference though, and the terrain where you live, as well.

Maybe one of our Bashan Storm riders can chime in on rim size?????

I will say this, after years of not having a lot of choices, it sure is nice for us China Riders to have multiple "higher quality" dualy's to chat about!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #17

One thing for sure the 21/18 gives us the very best choice in tires for dualsport. The 17 is basically a street only.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
...I will say this, after years of not having a lot of choices, it sure is nice for us China Riders to have multiple "higher quality" dualy's to chat about!
Amen!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
One thing for sure the 21/18 gives us the very best choice in tires for dualsport. The 17 is basically a street only.
I agree, the 18-inch/21-inch wheels offer the most choices for dual sport tires. However, the 17-inch rear wheel offers many good choices. Here is a short list of the dual sport bikes which have a 17-inch rear tire: Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DR650, Zongshen RX3, et cetera. In my opinion, the real shortcoming would be a 19-inch front wheel. You can find a few knobby tires for a 19-inch front wheel, but your choices expand greatly with 21-inch front wheel.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-31-2015, 11:08 AM   #20

Head Scratching decision non update lol

ok, talked to ryan at csc, the guy you see dirt riding the tt 250 in the videos.paraphrazing now... 1. the counterbalanced motor is really smooth. huge vibration diff at higher revs; 2.. csc got their demo's from zong ordered upgrades on pretty much everything of any significance. told me while not as sophisticated as the rx3, the tt250 should be the best quality of the china 250's by a fair margin;3. the hawks motor is not a zong, but an entirely diff Haoshing {or wasit haoshung} motor.(confirmed by owner of rps who brings in the hawk;4; csc will b able to gear your tt250 as you want it before shipping it to you;5. the std rear tire is plenty dirt aggressive on the csc. he is swapping out the more dual sport front preparing for a to be filmed motocross track testing in a few days;6. ryan reports excellent on /off road handling for the tt and very comfortable, easy but fun bike to ride.

Now, spent yesterday running the seriously washed out roads round here on my my set up klr, w my bro on his Hawk, crossing rock studded flooded out rivercrossings, deep sticky mud rutted roadbeds, and truly beautiful scenery Couldnt help but notice his ear to ear grin the whole time. The Hawk's motor is damned torque strong and pulled through , across and up everything with ease, him laughing the whole way cause it didn't beat him up like his zong sierra. he's 64 and his knees, ankles pretty much every joint are shot and with his fused back make riding rough terrain on bikes pretty damned painful., but not yesterday and that stuff was Rough!

he loves the hawk motor by the way, w the suspension set the way it comes,it tractors just off idle a lot like the klr. And, the seat is soooo plush, he road the whole thing sitting down!

almost lost the klr mid river when i hit a Big underwater ledge where the rushing water had busted the concrete. Stopped me cold and killed the engine, he rode right over it....sitting down.

beginning to think like was suggested a bit earlier, i should get one of each and compare.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 12-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #21

sounds like we may get treated to some new videos soon.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 12-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
sounds like we may get treated to some new videos soon.
I hope so.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 12-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
ok, talked to ryan at csc, the guy you see dirt riding the tt 250 in the videos.paraphrazing now... 1. the counterbalanced motor is really smooth. huge vibration diff at higher revs; 2.. csc got their demo's from zong ordered upgrades on pretty much everything of any significance. told me while not as sophisticated as the rx3, the tt250 should be the best quality of the china 250's by a fair margin;3. the hawks motor is not a zong, but an entirely diff Haoshing {or wasit haoshung} motor.(confirmed by owner of rps who brings in the hawk;4; csc will b able to gear your tt250 as you want it before shipping it to you;5. the std rear tire is plenty dirt aggressive on the csc. he is swapping out the more dual sport front preparing for a to be filmed motocross track testing in a few days;6. ryan reports excellent on /off road handling for the tt and very comfortable, easy but fun bike to ride.

Now, spent yesterday running the seriously washed out roads round here on my my set up klr, w my bro on his Hawk, crossing rock studded flooded out rivercrossings, deep sticky mud rutted roadbeds, and truly beautiful scenery Couldnt help but notice his ear to ear grin the whole time. The Hawk's motor is damned torque strong and pulled through , across and up everything with ease, him laughing the whole way cause it didn't beat him up like his zong sierra. he's 64 and his knees, ankles pretty much every joint are shot and with his fused back make riding rough terrain on bikes pretty damned painful., but not yesterday and that stuff was Rough!

he loves the hawk motor by the way, w the suspension set the way it comes,it tractors just off idle a lot like the klr. And, the seat is soooo plush, he road the whole thing sitting down!

almost lost the klr mid river when i hit a Big underwater ledge where the rushing water had busted the concrete. Stopped me cold and killed the engine, he rode right over it....sitting down.

beginning to think like was suggested a bit earlier, i should get one of each and compare.
Good report! Sounds like the Hawk has a cushy ride and seat!...and yes, the pushrod Hondoid motors are very torquey for their relatively small displacement.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #24

300cc hawks out there?

rumor has it new hawks have been seen sporting a 300cc motor
(actual 299)cc here in us.. anyone got any info on this? I heard its stamped right on the motor and in the mso. hmmm.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #25

Sounds like a complete redesign. The frame of architecture of the standard Hondoid motor isn't likely to support such an increase in bore and stroke.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #26

250tt

i hear that weld. quick check of alibaba shows a slew oh kawk like bikes listing available 300 air cooled motors motor. going to have to see a photo of the actual bike myself w the doc and or stamp evidence.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
i hear that weld. quick check of alibaba shows a slew oh kawk like bikes listing available 300 air cooled motors motor. going to have to see a photo of the actual bike myself w the doc and or stamp evidence.
I had to go look for myself. I'm finding that once you start farting around with these bikes, you get pulled in. Sure enough 300cc (270cc actual from the company site) and counter-balanced.

Here are a couple of links with pictures and specs for reference:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...617182488.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...7.29.64.JESICj

Different company:

http://www.xcross.com.cn/products_detail_xd300b.html

I'd expect an importer to have to facilitate all the EPA and other government red tape before they would be available, but it's interesting to see the different potential offerings and the manufacturers over there. Alibaba provides an interesting window into the marketplace of wholesale Chinese manufacturers.

I think I may have to hold out for one of these though:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...mart-taxi.html

Old 01-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

I think I may have to hold out for one of these though:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...mart-taxi.html
Now I can see maybe needing to register one of those!....and yes, I want one.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #29

Ok, 270cc is different. That has existed for some time in utility trikes in Asia, but I hadn't yet seen that motor in a bike. It's pushing the outer limits of design, so a liquid-cooled version is probably smarter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #30

300 hawk?

hey weld, just saw a 299cc Hawk..trying to figure how to post a pi
ok, i see that someone else saw one too last september and posted the engine tag here. fellow who has ridden both says lots stronger than the 250s , something close to 20 ft/lbs of torque.