Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #16

It will be better than your KLR on sand I'll tell you that much.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It will be better than your KLR on sand I'll tell you that much.
Lol! That wouldn't take much! I rode a couple of km's on fresh sand with my KLR last summer, I had to keep a fairly constant speed in second or third. Much faster than I was comfortable riding but every time I slowed down it felt like the front end was digging in and it wanted to flop over. I was never so happy to hit a gravel road in my life!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #18

Had both the KLR and the Konker out for spins tonight, the weather is beautiful! Supposed to snow (lots!) on Thursday so I figured I would take the opportunity . Konker is still farting a bit when you go to take off with the enricher off, turn it on a bit and it's fine. So, I'm thinking I might have to tear the carb off and clean the jets. Idles perfect so I'm thinking the main is plugged. I'm going to try fresh gas and a little seafoam first though just to see if that straightens it out. My brother in law put some newer gas in it but I'm not sure how new it was . Really loving the nimbleness though, sure wish my KLR had a few of the attributes of the Konker but I guess when you go up in displacement the weight goes up as well :wink:

Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #19

A guy NEEDS more than one bike! There are too many roles to fill.

You can only have one girl but as many bikes as you can afford. Seems fair to me. Or in my case more bikes than I can afford. I have like 6. Whatever. :roll:

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #20

I'm very happy the Konker returned to your stable, Stew! The KLR650 is a great motorcycle, but it is entirely too heavy for a trail bike. The Konker fills an important role in your riding needs.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #21

I've never seen a Konker close up, so I wonder if you can just rotate the carb a bit and access the main jet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I've never seen a Konker close up, so I wonder if you can just rotate the carb a bit and access the main jet.
I'll have to take a closer look but I think I can rotate it. Pretty sure that it uses the hose clamp type setup between the intake boot and air filter connection. That would definitely be nicer than ripping the whole thing off. Any recommendations on good spray carb cleaners?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I'm very happy the Konker returned to your stable, Stew! The KLR650 is a great motorcycle, but it is entirely too heavy for a trail bike. The Konker fills an important role in your riding needs.

Spud
Me too! I love my KLR to pieces but put it on a greasy off camber with my current street oriented tires and it'll flop faster than you can blink :wink:
I'm really looking forward to getting the Konker out for some trail riding and seeing how it does

Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:
I'll have to take a closer look but I think I can rotate it. Pretty sure that it uses the hose clamp type setup between the intake boot and air filter connection. That would definitely be nicer than ripping the whole thing off. Any recommendations on good spray carb cleaners?
Use Gunk Carb Medic from Walmart and your ex-wife's toothbrush. The carb will sparkle.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Yup.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:
Use Gunk Carb Medic from Walmart and your ex-wife's toothbrush. The carb will sparkle.
Funny!

Wear some eye protection. Carb cleaner in the eye hurts like an SOB and I doubt it improves your vision.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #27

Rotating the carburetor is no problem just follow these steps: Turn off the gas at the petcock and remove the fuel line from the carb. drain the carburetor by loosening the screw at the bottom of the float bowl and drain into an approved container. loosen the bolt on the throttle cam "12mm I think" and remove the throttle cable ends and cam along with the spacer and washer. Loosen the front and rear clamps for the intake and airbox boot and spin the carb towards the exhaust side top first. Remove the two screw holding the cable bracket and then remove the bracket and spin the carb so the bottom is facing the exhaust side. Take off the four screws for the float bowl and you're ready to clean the jets and bowl area.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #28

Insured and plated 8) . Fresh tank of premium ($1.31 a liter!) and a shot of Seafoam, hopefully that cleans everything up . Went for about 20 km ride, even found a little mud, Lol! Cheap as chips to insure, 1/3 the price of my KLR . Looking forward to some back roads exploring!

P.S. Those Kenda's are not great mud tires! Lol!!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #29

I'm glad you got you bike insured, and dirty, Stew! What Kenda tires do you have mounted on your Konker? My Kenda, K760, TrakMaster rear tire performs very well in the mud for me.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #30

Lol! I cant even see the tire on your bike Spud! I think my Kenda's are the 270's... Can't find the designation on the tire other than Kenda. I can definitely see where your Trakmaster would be much better in the gooey stuff, once my 270's packed up with mud it was tricky to keep enough momentum to keep upright... Lol, then I threw mud in all directions when it was flinging off after I got to the dry stuff. I had a ball