Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #16

Thanks, culcune. I know you are a fan of the TMEC. It's the only Chinese dual sport that I actually got to see an example of. It was in a little scooter shop on River Road in Puyallup, Washington maybe 5 years ago. I was pretty impressed, as it looked really decent.

I wonder if the dealer in Hawaii that Wade Liu said he sent a TMEC too might be this one:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/mcd/5197331568.html

These people have at least one SSR250 dual sport in stock, but look at the price!! Compare that to what you can buy one for on the mainland. Also, one of the big online scooter/motorcycle sellers has the SSR 250 for $2695 as I recall. That would be plus shipping.

When I was emailing back and forth with Wade Liu, what now, a year or more back, I also found some very organized online parts listings for those bikes, and was very impressed for a Chinese dual sport.

My last email from Mr. Liu was something like this: Jon, I'll get back to you next week (it was on a Friday I believe) with a shipping price for a 200cc TMEC dual sport."

Culcune, you are probably familiar with this parts website, but I wish more motorcycle makers had similiar ones available to owners:

http://www.atv4usa.com/catalogs/TMEC200-1.pdf

Old 09-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #17

Yes, that is a great resource, jjn! That is what made me feel comfortable with my original bike, my old '09, as well as the new one, last year. It made me hope that Wade would keep the TMECs around indefinitely, and he has not ruled it out. At least one of his buddies in the distribution business, Sunright (who distribute Linhai in the US) still offer the TMEC, even if you have to get those HUGE stickers and are only available with the knobbies. However, they also offer orange (which makes them super-fast ). I am guessing, Excalibur will keep offering parts, or at least keep the catalog on their site. I do believe, just from reading reviews from Bashan and Hawk owners, that the TMEC is a little higher quality, but are hundreds of dollars more, which makes them less desirable among the readers here. At least the closeout (similar to when Qlink was getting rid of their overstock on the Qingqi XF200s a few years back) price of $1100 will give 7 people a better deal on the TMEC!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #18

Maybe I can ask here in this thread I started about carburetors. I am thinking of getting one of these bikes:

Bashan 200 Storm-$645 + $500 shipping=$1145. Easily the lowest price bike.
Bashon 250 Storm-Best price I've seen is $1300+$240=$1550
Bashan Will 200-$715 + $500 shipping =$1215. A good price.
Bashion Will 250-About $1300 + $240=$1540.
250 Hawk-Available at 3-4 places for about $1345 shipped.

I have not called any of these sellers to confirm the shipping prices, but most have a place to enter Hawaii and my zip code, and then quoted the shipping price.

Does anyone know which of these, if any, comes with a carb with regular screws in the floatbowl? I know some owners of Chinese bikes are replacing the carb. I'd like to try to choose a bike that I can get to the jets if needed, hopefully with a needle that has grooves in it for the clip to be raised and lowered etc.

The Will's are on my list just because I like the looks. And, they do have extra counterbalancers. You can't really describe the engines, as counterbalanced or without counterbalancers, as all motorcycle engines have basic counterbalancing built in to the flywheel. But, I notice that owners, such as blueberry, doesn't complain that his 200 Storm is vibrating him to death, and he is pushing that bike hard. Anyone know if the counterbalancer's are gear driven? I would guess they would be.

The 250 Storms have inverted forks, which I am wondering about this type of fork, may have more problems with leaks then conventional forks? Anyone had a problem with their Chinese inverted forks leaking? Also, the 250 Storm has been noted for leaking gas caps.

The 200 Storm may not have the gas cap problem. This is the cheapest dual sport, followed by the 200cc Will, as long as they are bought from Powersporthub.com. I don't see the 200 Storm anywhere else right now. Other sellers are asking quite a bit more for the Will.

The fact that I live on the big island or Hawaii makes a bit of a difference, as we have no freeways here. They do on Oahu, but not here. The main highways are posted from 35-55 mph with a minimum of 40 in the higher speed areas. Not that I would want to be doing 40 in a 55! Also, we have generous shoulders that are used by pedestrians, bicyclists, moped riders. We have loads of gravel roads, and we live on one. Every time we go somewhere, depending if we turn left or right at our street, we have 3/4 mile to the pavement. And, lots of dirt and gravel roads nearby for me to explore. We have rains here that, well, someone who lives in Hawaiin Paradise Park (the second largest developement in the USA. The biggest one is also on this island) measured over 10" last night in a 24 hour period. Usually, the super rains come and go quickly. And, you pull over, as no windshield wipers will be fast enough for you to drive. Riding in these is having a death wish. During moderate rains, I'll often cut my riding speed back and use the shoulder, as these rain drops HURT at speed. And NO rain gear is going to keep you even remotely dry.

IN 2007 while we still lived near Tacoma, Washington, I bought a 2007 Yamaha XT225 and rode all over the place with that. So, even on the mainland, I preferred the back roads when riding my small bikes.

But, it would be nice to be able to run at 50-55 for most of time, 4-5 mile spurts. I'm about 200 pounds and 5'9". Hey, rascalflyer rode his 200cc Will from Las Vegas to Fargo North Dakota! Made it fine at 50 mph. One flat and the speedo cable fitting fell off and was lost. I am impressed with that ride.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #19

just as an fyi I have benn (almost) daily driving my Roketa sumo conversion, averaging 45-65 mph with the 163fml engine, non counterbalanced... round trip my commute is 70 mi... I average 60 miles to the gallon... its aweful vibey, but I make do....and I am 6'2" 260#....

Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #20

My next step is to call the various sellers and get a shipping price to near Hilo Hawaii. Everyone else Powersportshub.com, if you search their website really well, makes a statement that they do not ship to Hawaii or Alaska. That kills the Bashan Storm 200, as nobody else seems to have it. That's too bad, and they are the ones that, though they marked that bike way down to $645, then raised the shipping rate to everywhere to $500.

I expect higher rates to Hawaii, but the rest of the sellers have a shipping rate estimator, and that shows around $240-$340 to Hawaii.

By the way, Superior Powersports has the SSR 250 at $2699. Everyone else is holding the line at $2999. I know they do ship to us barbarian's in Alaska and Hawaii.

Powerrideoutlet.com are out of the 250 Storm and the 250 Will, but do have the Hawk. Too bad. As far as I know that means there are no 250 Will's available right now. Since rascalflyer seems to really like his 200, I thought the 250 model might be a good ride. I do still have the 200 Will on my list, and Superiorpowersports.com shows they have some.

Powersportsmax also has the 200cc Will, but they are quite high on the price. Yet, they have the best price on the Hawk at $1018.95. Sounds like the do ship to the barbarian states of Alaska and Hawaii.

My phone calls will have to wait a few days. West coast sellers close by 2:00 pm my time.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #21

Powersportshub is out. So, no 200 Storm, as noone else is selling these that I can find. These folks only ship to the lower 48.

Powersportsmax quoted me $200 to ship a Hawk or a 200 Will. This was quoted to me via the live chat feature on the website. Could not get through on the phone. I could not believe this price, so I left a message for someone to verify and get back to me. I don't think you can ship a motorcycle in a crate from California to Hawaii for $200. If this price stands, I think I'll order through these folks.

Did live chat with Superiorpowersports, and they said theybwill check it and email me a shipping price.

Called Motobuys, and a gent said he'd email a price within 24 hours.

Called Christie at Powerideoutle.com, and she will email me a quote. Asked about when they may have some more 250cc Will's in stock, and was told 2-3 months.

So, I am waiting for prices here. It's down to a 250 Hawk, 250 Storm,and the 200 Will.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #22

Call Wade for the heck of it! He just sold a TMEC to a dealer on one of the islands, maybe Kaui, and said the shipping was NOT outrageous.

$1100 for the bike, and parts are available.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #23

Looks like I deleted the email back and forth between myself, and Wade. How do I contact him?

I know there is a place selling the TMEC under the Denali name. I would be a bit worried about Wade dropping the parts source for the TMEC. What has he told you about these things? I know you have met him and discussed the bikes with him.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #24

His number is 909-591-8800; he is probably in the office right now (they close at 6:00 Pacific time). I think he will keep up with parts.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #25

Thanks. I called and did talk to Allen. Wade was not on, and Allen said he might not be in for a while. Allen gave me Wade's email address, and I shot off an email to him. Allen did say that I could get a TMEC for $1100, as we have no dealers within thousands of miles. So, I think I'll go back and read up on the TMEC for now. I don't like that you had to have someone make you a rear sprocket. I bet you took measurements and looked through JT Sprockets very helpful website. Were you unable to find anything there? And, I believe you had mentioned that it came with a 17 tooth front, and that may be as big as there is room for? But, this is the big island, and not the main land. What did your second bike do stock as far as speed, and comfortable cruising speeds?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #26

Just got a reply back from Wade. It must be 7:40 pm, if he lives on the west coast. He siad he'll get back to me after he has time to check with his shipper on Wednesday.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
Just got a reply back from Wade. It must be 7:40 pm, if he lives on the west coast. He siad he'll get back to me after he has time to check with his shipper on Wednesday.

I believe these guys will ship to Hawaii. The only Alaska Hawaii disclaimer i see is on their side by sides. Call and ask for Don. I just got a pair of Hawks for $2,400 shipped to Montana from California.... http://www.apscusa.com/Motorcycles_c_130.html

Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks. I called and did talk to Allen. Wade was not on, and Allen said he might not be in for a while. Allen gave me Wade's email address, and I shot off an email to him. Allen did say that I could get a TMEC for $1100, as we have no dealers within thousands of miles. So, I think I'll go back and read up on the TMEC for now. I don't like that you had to have someone make you a rear sprocket. I bet you took measurements and looked through JT Sprockets very helpful website. Were you unable to find anything there? And, I believe you had mentioned that it came with a 17 tooth front, and that may be as big as there is room for? But, this is the big island, and not the main land. What did your second bike do stock as far as speed, and comfortable cruising speeds?
I bought the JTR Sprocket 1134.48 which is the smallest one (physically) they make. I ordered it from the UK which cost under $50 from these guys (including shipping). You can see my review on their site http://www.urbanbike.co.uk/jtr113448...ket-1655-p.asp The stock front sprocket is 17 tooth.

I had one made by a company called Rebel Gears for my '09 bike. I could get close to 70 mph, but since I ordered a 40 tooth, I actually found myself going with a 15 tooth front to achieve a good cruise. Looking back, I think I should have ordered a 44, and kept the front at the stock 17

This bike seems to be happy cruising at 60 or so, but not sure on the actual speed since the speedo is not accurate at all. There is a several mile stretch of a posted 55 mph zone, two lanes in each direction, and traffic that passes me is doing well north of 65 +. On the two lane highway portion for the last several miles of my commute to work, posted at 50 mph, I do not hold up traffic, and oftentimes find myself annoyed at 'slow' vehicles who are actually cruising at 51 or 52 mph if I get 'stuck' behind them. Passing in these situations can get dicey since there seems to ALWAYS be oncoming traffic, and these bikes don't have a lot of passing power. It seems as though you will be fine with any one of these bikes, perhaps even stock for a while. Find the best deal, and find a rear sprocket, and my guess it doesn't matter which bike you choose, Hawaii will be the perfect place to ride a Chinese bike.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #29

Quote:
I expect higher rates to Hawaii, but the rest of the sellers have a shipping rate estimator, and that shows around $240-$340 to Hawaii.
Since you know what the market will bear for shipping to HI, perhaps you can enlist some help. Do you have a trusted friend or family member on the mainland who could order what you want and then ship it to you?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #30

Well, of all the sellers I contacted yesterday, so far (at 8:30 am Hawaii time) only Wade Liu has got me a quote. His quote is $468.71, that is delivered to my house via a liftgate truck. I could save by picking it up in my 2004 Toyota Tacoma pickup, but the wife and I could not get the crated bike out of the truck I don't think, and assemblying it in the truck bed would be pretty tough, though I do have a small aluminum loading ramp. If some parts are missing that would tie up my truck for days at least.

$468.71 is not bad. I'll see if these other sellers come through with quote on the other bikes.