Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #16

I'd like to retrofit a snail shell adjuster to it. need to look at some parts to see what I can make work or if I need to mill something custom.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Bashans version which is probably universal .

Notice the super tack weld job Could and should be beefed up for the more aggressive riders out there. The end cap steel gets bent and deformed easily
Attachment 6842

Attachment 6843
Once the rear axle is torqued, I'm not sure the chain tensioner adjustment hardware is of any structural significance, and it's purpose is solely to move the axle in the slot while the axle nut is loose.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Bashans version which is probably universal .

Notice the super tack weld job Could and should be beefed up for the more aggressive riders out there. The end cap steel gets bent and deformed easily
Attachment 6842

Attachment 6843
O.K. Now we have something to work with. Option 1 - Dremel saw off the tack weld holding the tube (bottom picture), punch out the tube, put in the correct id tube (for the axle). Do both sides at the same time, using axle to align tubes for welding. Two tack welds ought to do it. The factory uses one. So two is like the belt and suspenders overkill. Or redundency. Option 2 - Using the adjuster for a model, just recreate it in heavier and better quality steel. Oh yeah, with the right size tube.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
Once the rear axle is torqued, I'm not sure the chain tensioner adjustment hardware is of any structural significance, and it's purpose is solely to move the axle in the slot while the axle nut is loose.
Ed McMahon says, you are correct sir.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
O.K. Now we have something to work with. Option 1 - Dremel saw off the tack weld holding the tube (bottom picture), punch out the tube, put in the correct id tube (for the axle). Do both sides at the same time, using axle to align tubes for welding. Two tack welds ought to do it. The factory uses one. So two is like the belt and suspenders overkill. Or redundency. Option 2 - Using the adjuster for a model, just recreate it in heavier and better quality steel. Oh yeah, with the right size tube.
Hahaha.

not pictured is already another tack on the other side. I was thinking the same to tighten it up with the correct length spacer. Or even just tack weld on an additional washer to it if narrow enough

You know how these things go once the ideas start flowing.

Kohburn sounds interesting too.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Hahaha.

not pictured is already another tack on the other side. I was thinking the same to tighten it up with the correct length spacer. Or even just tack weld on an additional washer to it if narrow enough

Those would have to be aircraft or ship fitters grade washers to stand up for long. This is free advice. It is worth every penny spent.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Hahaha.

Thinking about washers, it would be possible to make stepped washers on a lathe, making the id a snug fit on the axle, and the od a pretty tight fit in the chain adjuster tubes. 3/16 - 1/4 inch wide, all of that in the tube, plus 1/16th outside the adjuster.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #23

I think on one of the braZil 23o DP bikes I saw an aluminum instead of stamped steel, swingarm of a MUCH better design, I wonder if such a thing is available somewhere on one of the chinese online shops, that would fit our frames....
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #24

The owner's manual for the RPS Hawk (http://therps.net/User%20Manual/Hawk...s%20Manual.pdf) lists 60 foot pounds for the rear axle. With an average amount of testosterone there's no need for a cheater bar to attain that. I don't recommend an open-end wrench, either. I use a hex spanner from another m/c tool set.

Regarding the "spacer slop" first reported by Seer Atlas' brother: attached is the photo of my rear axle with the nut removed. The axle is a tight fit in the slider with no slop. I re-installed the nut using my 1/2" drive torque wrench. 60 ft. lb. doesn't deform the swingarm a bit. IMO, with the correct slider/spacer installed, there's no need for an over-engineered fix.

That said, the initial problem may have been either a Friday bike or part of a bad batch of parts. If anyone on this forum is old enough to have worked on AMC cars, they sourced parts from different OEM's depending on the year, model, and lowest bidder. Haosen is probably doing the same thing - building bikes with whatever they had on hand.

Remember, Haosen is trying to meet the demand for quantity, not for quality. In the case of my bike there are many parts that don't line up as they should. Like the exhaust valve tappet bolt. Only one edge of the bolt actually contacts the valve (they should mate squarely). As a result I need to adjust that valve tappet every 300 miles or so (the edge of the adjuster bolt gets rounded off and will continue to do so until I've adjusted an 360 degree turn of the bolt). I've not yet learned to enjoy it, but I'm getting really good at pulling off the gas tank \-:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160725_162421.jpg (101.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 20160313_175739.jpg (87.9 KB, 194 views)
2017 TaoTao CY50-B scooter 79cc big bore kit - 45 MPH! (sold)
2015 Haosen Hawk (sold)
2002 Honda XR100R - project bike almost done.
2013 V-Strom 650 Adventure (sold )-:

If I listed every bike that I've ever owned you'd either
1) Get bored
2) Be somewhat envious, or
3) Wonder: "What's wrong with that guy?"

Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 AM   #25

None of us are old enough to know the Matador, Pacer, or AMX. The AMX was pretty good and I never understood why they needed the Javelin.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
None of us are old enough to know the Matador, Pacer, or AMX. The AMX was pretty good and I never understood why they needed the Javelin.
my folks had an AMX before I was born. my little 5'2" mom would drive it into downtown Baltimore to work at johns Hopkins hospital. her clutch leg was strong.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #27

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
au contraire.....
couldn't stomach the pacer, the mat was too heavy-too slow, but the javelin was a fun street racer once that small block was breathed on, and the suspension tightened up wasn't the fastest, but not bad bang for buck fun
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #28

I always wanted a Rebel.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I'd like to retrofit a snail shell adjuster to it. need to look at some parts to see what I can make work or if I need to mill something custom.
To me, the answer is a different swingarm. Perhaps an early XR200R would be a good donor.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
au contraire.....
couldn't stomach the pacer, the mat was too heavy-too slow, but the javelin was a fun street racer once that small block was breathed on, and the suspension tightened up wasn't the fastest, but not bad bang for buck fun
The pacer... I remember my parents considered it. It really made a statement back in the day but died as quickly as it came. A 79 honda accord 4 door and then an 1980 same model followed in my family. These were spectacular cars for their time. I remember how we were so impressed at how tight and crisp the door closing sound made. And thus began the "turning Japanese " of the auto industry.

When did Detroit really recover from the Japanese /import onslaught ? One might argue not until late 80's with Chrysler minivans, and Ford/Chevy suv's. Jmo.