Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #16

The clutch slipping issues most likely stem from the additives in the oil, regardless of dino or synthetic. Make sure that whatever oil you're using dosen't say anything about improving gas mileage, if it does it most likely has Teflon (or something similar) added to it. Teflon will embed in the friction material of the clutch and cause it to slip.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #17

The clutch springs are the culpret. It's well documented that when the cluitch starts to slip, new springs fixes it. Also, it's moly in some energy conserving oils, not teflon, and oils today have such small amounts of moly, it's a non issue.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
The clutch springs are the culpret. It's well documented that when the cluitch starts to slip, new springs fixes it. Also, it's moly in some energy conserving oils, not teflon, and oils today have such small amounts of moly, it's a non issue.
Why must we butt heads continuously?
You're right, it is moly, but then you are wrong; it can cause problems for the clutch. Been there, done that. Read around on other boards, I'm not the only one. Usually clears up with the correct oil. TheBrainII said his slipping cleared up when he went back to Rotella.... hmmmm.... Some oils have a higher amount of friction modifiers than do other oils, they are not all the same.
Never said it wan't the springs, could be, but oil is cheaper and easier to replace so it makes sense to try that first.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to madmaximum Send a message via Yahoo to madmaximum
I don't want to jump into the middle of a pissing match here, I just want to add my experience & you guys can use it however you want. With regular 10W-40 motorcycle oil for break-in, followed by Amsoil 10W-40 full synthetic I experienced clutch slippage, usually when shifting into 4th and 5th gear, as well as over washboard bumps on dirt & gravel roads. After changing the springs I have no slipping when shifting into 4th & 5th, but I do get the slipping over the washboard bumps. Maybe what I assume to be slipping from the washboard bumps is in reality the woefully crappy rear suspension not keeping the rear tire in contact with the road.
1977 Kawasaki KH400, aka Green Ripper

Old 10-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #20

I have run the rotella since day one. No problems, but I am thinking that since temps are now in the 40s in the morning I need to switch to a lighter oil.

I haven't noticed any clutch slippage, but I think the washboards roads are the tire bouncing and not the clutch slipping.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Quote:
Why must we butt heads continuously?
You're right, it is moly, but then you are wrong; it can cause problems for the clutch. Been there, done that. Read around on other boards, I'm not the only one. Usually clears up with the correct oil. TheBrainII said his slipping cleared up when he went back to Rotella.... hmmmm.... Some oils have a higher amount of friction modifiers than do other oils, they are not all the same.
Never said it wan't the springs, could be, but oil is cheaper and easier to replace so it makes sense to try that first.
Umm, OK?? I didn't realize we were butting heads continuously. You have made several posts here lately that are just not factual. Just trying to set the record strait as a lot of guys come here for knowledge and I want them to be informed.......... correctly. Geez, don't get so defensive.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Umm, OK?? I didn't realize we were butting heads continuously. You have made several posts here lately that are just not factual. Just trying to set the record strait as a lot of guys come here for knowledge and I want them to be informed.......... correctly. Geez, don't get so defensive.
Same here, I know that a good portion of the folks buying these are buying these as their first bike. Years ago I had an issue with my clutch slipping, went through the time and trouble to take the disks out only to find them in perfect condition... I replaced everything including the springs only to have the slipping return. Took it to a local bike shop, explained the history and they suggested I switch oil ... fixed it. So ... not factual? BS! You're telling people to jump right into pulling the clutch first without ruling out the more simple solutions beforehand. I know better than that because I have already been down that road. Your "setting the record straight" is likely to cost someone money they may not need to spend, which is wrong. I'm not arguing about weak springs, sounds like it is an issue, but it won't be the issue in EVERY case. That's like telling someone to replace their entire wheel due to a flat tire!

Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Quote:
Same here, I know that a good portion of the folks buying these are buying these as their first bike. Years ago I had an issue with my clutch slipping, went through the time and trouble to take the disks out only to find them in perfect condition... I replaced everything including the springs only to have the slipping return. Took it to a local bike shop, explained the history and they suggested I switch oil ... fixed it. So ... not factual? BS! You're telling people to jump right into pulling the clutch first without ruling out the more simple solutions beforehand. I know better than that because I have already been down that road. Your "setting the record straight" is likely to cost someone money they may not need to spend, which is wrong. I'm not arguing about weak springs, sounds like it is an issue, but it won't be the issue in EVERY case. That's like telling someone to replace their entire wheel due to a flat tire!
Hehe, OK, whatever Knothead. Oh, as an FYI, you don't need to pull the clutch to change the springs. After you went through all that with your other bike I would have thought you'd known that. Like I said, try to be factual. I guess you are pretty aptly named............ 8O

Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #24

I'm locking this thread before things get ugly.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Closed Thread