Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #16

Did you say a '72 CB 350??? I THINK I may have a set of sidecovers with the emblems left over from the '72 I had years ago. They should still be in mom's garage, I'll look next time I'm over there. I should still have some odds and ends for the bike as well, carbs, engine cases etc... If they are still there (it's been over 20 years since I've owned that bike) you can have them if you pay shipping.
I hope your's is the twin and not the four cylinder, the twins rock but the other is kind of a pig. I used to ave a list of mods for the 350.. many parts from a 750 will fit and are an upgrade (cam chain and tensioner come to mind). You can also use one coil per cylinder, carbs from (I think) an XL 350 (thumper)... there's a bunch yo can do to that motor, I think you can get 40 or 45 hp out of them with a bit of work.
Last thing, watch out for headshake on that bike. Around 75 or 80 it will start to wobble esp. in a sweeper, just hang on and stay in the gas. It will stop like someone flipped a switch, but t comes back when you decel as well... Did I mention it's one of my favorite bikes ever??

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
Ohhhhh yep I need (could use) lots of parts. 72 cb350 G4. But the problem is that they need to be in really good condition to be better than the parts I've got. Fenders, no rust and no pitting, red air box cover with emblem would be the coolest. I had it running and starting off the battery before stripping it down to re-paint the frame. I haven't exhausted all my leads on parts here yet. Hopefully I can get my neighbor to order parts from Ebay, it's the easiest. My spokes aren't shiny and there is a little pitting on the rims but if I put on mirrors, the bike should pass it's safety and be on the road. Winter is coming to Toronto, so I'll have time for tweeking. If all else fails, I'll ask for help. But if you know someone with nice red air box covers, please let me know.
Mike

Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #17

I'll keep an eye out, but hopefully knothead's fit

I was looking on ebay for stuff for mine (73 cl) and there seems to be lots available atleast , not to sure on prices though...

Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #18

Knothead, you are the man! :o
Please let me know when you can check? I don't know about some of the really heavy stuff, but I'll take what you've got.

1. I really need One pilot jet "O" ring seal.
2. Air box covers, air box and filter if you've got it.
3. Mirrors.
4. Brake light cover, the BIG RED ONE.

Those four items would take me a long way. Maybe even certified. The bike is in good to very good condition for a 72. 13000 miles is only 2 good seasons. The carb floods with my damaged, pilot jet, "O" ring seal, so it's the most important item, and it would fit in an envelope easy.

You should go visit your Mom more. Tell her I said hello.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #19

Hey new2riding,
As I said keep posting! You never know what someone here might have to help you out. These guys are a good group! No matter what type of bike you are currently riding someone here probably has experience with it. Just like knothead. How cool is it that he has Honda parts that you can use and is willing to give them to you? Very cool!

As we all have said before! These chinabikes are going to get better and better as time goes on. In a few years they will be building something that you will want to own again. Stick around!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #20

Anything rubber, forget about me having.. after 20 yr. of storage I doubt there would be anything worth having. Mirrors and brake light, definately not, I got hit by a car on mine and had to replace that stuff (and more). The covers.. I know that I had a green one and a black one complete with the emblems at least 3 years ago. I also had a set of shocks, kickstart lever, a good rectifier (you will need one sooner or later!), headlight ass.... have to look to know for sure. The house has changed hands from my mom to my sister, there's a chance she's gotten rid of the stuff, so don't hold your breath. If it's still there you're welcome to it though.

Check this out. Had I any money for another bike, I would have this one!
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/mcy/465703840.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
Knothead, you are the man! :o
Please let me know when you can check? I don't know about some of the really heavy stuff, but I'll take what you've got.

1. I really need One pilot jet "O" ring seal.
2. Air box covers, air box and filter if you've got it.
3. Mirrors.
4. Brake light cover, the BIG RED ONE.

Those four items would take me a long way. Maybe even certified. The bike is in good to very good condition for a 72. 13000 miles is only 2 good seasons. The carb floods with my damaged, pilot jet, "O" ring seal, so it's the most important item, and it would fit in an envelope easy.

You should go visit your Mom more. Tell her I said hello.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #21

Looks to be in even better shape than mine 8O . For the price, that's a hard bike to beat. I like my red one though. All the fun of a british bike with less problems. PM me when you find out about the parts. If the shocks are in good shape, yep. What ever you can get yer hands on brother.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #22

I had some 350 parts, but its all gone now.

That fender I sent you was from cb400 with has some similar parts too.

You should be able to get that o-ring new yet. These bikes were pretty common and the parts tend be reasonable.

Allen

Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #23

That's what I'm figuring Kato, but my corner bike store is kinda slow. How much money you're spending sometimes helps. But I'm always there for a 2$ part. and always get bumped to the end.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #24

Try an auto parts store. They usually have o-rings assortments and you can probably match it up.

Allen

Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #25

You're reading my mind again brother. I passed a new auto parts store today, it's close, "Parts Source. If I would have had time I would have stopped. I'm gonna try getting all 4 if I can. Good call, thanks for the head up. See I'm still new. MjR.

P.S. Found a place with good insurance rates, but they only insure bikes up to 25 years old. My bike is 35. The guy just laughed, and said no.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #26

That's weird... Toronto is weird...

Old 11-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #27

Get all four and rebuild the carbs. If possible find someone that can synch them for you.

You should be able to get carb kits for about $25 each.

Allen

Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #28

I got a bud up the street with a full garage including the mercury hydrometer for ballencing. Darn thing is that he is so busy. He said he'd give me a hand, but I should get it as good as I can first. But I can't run the engine without the pilot jet O-ring. I have to take transit to get to the part source store, and Toronto transit sucks. The bike store is open tomorrow and it's closer, I'll have a car on Saturday to try "part source".

I repainted the frame. Mainly I wanted to get rid of the rust on the chain guard and swing arm. But then there was the tool box and tail piece, the speedo and tach and every thing else that was black. It's just rust paint from a can, but it should last a couple years. When the bike turns 40 I'll get it done professionally. I went with a high gloss. It's harder. It's a little too shiny, but I figure it'll dull down in time. Sure looks a lot better than when I started.

The bike is registered and insured now, the next steps are safety certification, and the plate, then alot more tweeking.
N2r

Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #29

At least it is only a twin and not a four cylinder. Odds are the carbs have been rebuilt before. Have you cleaned the carbs yet? If not, do that before syncing them.

Allen

Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #30

Ya I cleaned them out, but they weren't too bad. I have gas leaking out the left carb. I got an O-ring from part source but it's not the right one. The flooding might be from that pilot jet O-ring, or from a leaky float bowl. Finally it may be that the float isn't set correctly and letting too much gas into the bowl. It's more of a weep than a leak. But the bike will start and rev and idle really well. I have a problem with the high beam and the brake light, now that the bike is running and recharging I can work on those things. From what I've read, these bikes don't produce that much voltage. I want to sort out the electrical before going for the safety certification. That's what they check for, and would be really expensive for a mechanic to do for me. :wink: