Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
jumped a curb��

yeah thats not gonna blow a seal, you woukd need to add several feet of height to that test.

sorry guys, a curb is literally nothing.

ill blow your fork seals in one ride. a couple big downhill jumps and they start to weep oil, its a fact.

$1350 to my door im not complaining, just fixing it. ill stop posting info here now.

i was just tryimg to help.

enjoy your scooter forks boys...

Where did you get the forks and triple tree?

Old 06-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #17

Quote:
jumped a curb��

yeah thats not gonna blow a seal, you woukd need to add several feet of height to that test.

sorry guys, a curb is literally nothing.

ill blow your fork seals in one ride. a couple big downhill jumps and they start to weep oil, its a fact.

$1350 to my door im not complaining, just fixing it. ill stop posting info here now.

i was just tryimg to help.

enjoy your scooter forks boys...
For one, there is no need to be snarky.

Two, I don't know what on earth you are being this way to somebody who has been on your side the entire time.

Three... The Hawk was never really intended to do jumps. It was intended for commuting across dirt trails in parts of Africa. Hopping a curb and a few dips and bumps in a field are the equivalent of what it was designed to handle, and it did those rather well.

I am more impressed that the forks seals gave out before the factory triple tree decided to bend/break with what you put them through.

Four, with that kind of abuse, how well is the rear swing arm holding up?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2017, 01:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

That said, a fork swap like this is definitely an upgrade. If I come across an XR or CRF front end for the right price you can bet your butt I am going to do the same thing.

I have a complete full tricked out TTR250 front end doing nothing...

Pay shiping and it's yours....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 06-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I have a complete full tricked out TTR250 front end doing nothing...

Pay shiping and it's yours....

I would hate to see what the shipping costs would be to the US.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #20

Pete ,is your ttr the same as the ones on our side of the lake ,just a cheap play bike version missing the street legal lights of the "enduro" or "dual sport " whatever they call them now .I have seen you mention the bike a few times ,it sounds like your version is much better than our model which I would say is the Yamaha version of the hawk minus the lights .

Old 06-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #21

jimwildman Thanks for sharing the details of your fork mod. I do wonder if its possible to do a complete crf250 fork swap on a Hawk? Just curious because I know of someone that has started parting out his CRF250.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #22

Will the tree and forks work from an '85 XR250R? I found a roller for $100 and may be interested in upgrading.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Pete ,is your ttr the same as the ones on our side of the lake ,just a cheap play bike version missing the street legal lights of the "enduro" or "dual sport " whatever they call them now .I have seen you mention the bike a few times ,it sounds like your version is much better than our model which I would say is the Yamaha version of the hawk minus the lights .
As far as I know ours are much the same as yours... come road kitted or dirt kitted..
but have a kick aswell as e start... think your version only had e start ?
they were Yamaha's enduro bike before they built the WR.. but they kept making them
unchanged up to a couple years ago... there were 2 versions.. early ones had a steel tank
after about 2000 they went to plastic... the blue TTRs..
not sure what suspension yours had... our ones have adjustable damping & air valves in the forks.. shock has spring pre-load / adjustable damping & compression damping adjustment.

If there is a prob with the TTR... not enough power as they put a Ok motor in very fast running gear
always make you want more power... prob why they built the WR motor...

like the Hawk... well yes they have 2 wheels.. Plus adjustable suspension / 11" wheel travel / linkage rear end / six gears... And a bulet proof motor other than the sprag clutch...

unless you got a 250 version of the TTR230... which was a more basic bike...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfeliciano15 View Post
jimwildman Thanks for sharing the details of your fork mod. I do wonder if its possible to do a complete crf250 fork swap on a Hawk? Just curious because I know of someone that has started parting out his CRF250.
Ofcourse it is possable.... just get them and do it....
I put a set of Honda CR250 USD forks in a Yamaha XT660R & YZF250 USD forks
in a TTR250....

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

Old 06-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyC View Post
Will the tree and forks work from an '85 XR250R? I found a roller for $100 and may be interested in upgrading.
That's a relatively safe bet. I know that the '80-'83 XR200 (not the R version) frame is almost identical to the modern Honda clone China bike, but I'm not sure if the early XR200 used the same steering neck as the XR200R.

Son of Weldangrind has an '83 XR200R that I swapped an '85 XR250 front end onto. It was a perfect fit, but that frame is not identical to the modern Honda clone.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfeliciano15 View Post
follow the link in my first post, any bike listed will fit on the hawks frame stem, using hte bearing kit listed, there are many,

you still have to worry about things like height, clearance , brake and front wheel fitment, etc..

i would bet the forks you mention are a good fit, being hawks are honda ish..

Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #27

Quote:
follow the link in my first post, any bike listed will fit on the hawks frame stem, using hte bearing kit listed, there are many,

you still have to worry about things like height, clearance , brake and front wheel fitment, etc..

i would bet the forks you mention are a good fit, being hawks are honda ish..
Did you use the Hawk wheel, or use a Honda wheel when you did the swap? What other issues did you run into, if any? The xr250r I found is on that list. I may have to see about picking it up.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Did you use the Hawk wheel, or use a Honda wheel when you did the swap? What other issues did you run into, if any? The xr250r I found is on that list. I may have to see about picking it up.
yes i used the hawk front wheel, and brake caliper.

the honda forks accept the threads from the hawks axel, however the homda axels have a thicker section at the other end that clamps into that fork.

i made a bushing on my lathe to accomodate that.

for the brake caliper i used a peice of 1/4" plate, drilled to accept the caliper bolts and the caliper mounts on the forks. shaped it to fit the forks and the caliper and made a 1/4" shim for the axel on that side.

caliper lined up perfectly..

i can snap a few pics later today if that helps.

i also used the hawk handlebars, and swaped the fairing mounts left for right, drilled them to accept the additional bolt.

only issue I have is the short brake line, I plan to replace it with something 6" longer, im afraid it will rip out at full droop, its that tight. with my weight on it there is plenty of slack.

The closer the doner is to the hawk in design the less effort required.

I have to say this is by far the best mod Ive done on the hawk, its a whole different machine now, i can take on rocky rutted trails at twice the speed with confidence. next best mod being the rear bead lock.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #29

Quote:
If you have the opportunity to use a Honda wheel with the XR250 forks, you may wish to go that direction. You'd end up with a higher quality wheel that has an aluminum rim and it is properly matched to the axle. I can't recall if the '85 XR250 has a speedo connector.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #30

This one I'm looking at deosn't have a speedo, being a 250R. I noticed the aluminum rims.