Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #16

That switch is indeed a motorcycle turn signal switch. In the original application, you slide the switch right or left to activate the signals and then press it in once to cancel the signals. In this application, you slide the switch either right or left to kill the engine and then you must press it in once to get spark again. If you don't, you can turn the engine over until the battery dies but it'll never start.
I once dismantled and entire quad and replaced the stator before I figured that out.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That switch is indeed a motorcycle turn signal switch. In the original application, you slide the switch right or left to activate the signals and then press it in once to cancel the signals. In this application, you slide the switch either right or left to kill the engine and then you must press it in once to get spark again. If you don't, you can turn the engine over until the battery dies but it'll never start.
I once dismantled and entire quad and replaced the stator before I figured that out.
Good to know, will try it out on my other ATV when the replacement CDI arrives

Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Received my replacement CDI’s. Plug it in to my GY6 atv and it fired right up. Tried playing with the kill switch and nothing happen. The only way to turn of that ATV it turn the key off. I used this atv to test since it’s a known working quad, prior to messing up the CDI. I did replace the entire wiring with a new harness, so it’s possible the kill switch got canceled out.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #19

Another thing I noticed is the left handlebar lever leads to the engine. whole time I though it was for the rear breaks. It didn’t occur to me since the two other quads are automatic. Does the engine need to be in neutral to fire up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4F11B58F-918E-4994-9B6C-6BF86E351EA6.jpg (14.9 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by Vwchisme; 09-20-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #20

If all the safety switches are wired in correct then yes. Most atv's have safety switches on the brakes, clutch and neutral. Most have to have the front or rear brake engaged. Must be in neutral or if in gear you have to engage the clutch lever. Test to make sure all these safety switches are working.

If you remove the kill wire (black and white wire from the CDI plug) This will rule out all the safety switches and will fire.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
If you remove the kill wire (black and white wire from the CDI plug) This will rule out all the safety switches and will fire.
Installed the new the carb and CDI box and she fired right up. Thanks for the tip on the wire, now I need to work backwards and figure it out which safety switch is acting up.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #22

Anyone know which wires are the ones that engage the starter? want to check continuity on the button, to rule it out.
[IMG]Taotao 2007 200cc ATV by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwchisme View Post
Anyone know which wires are the ones that engage the starter? want to check continuity on the button, to rule it out.
Figured it out it's the Black wire & the red/Yellow wire. Did a continuity test and wasn't getting anything.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #24

Dissembled the switch and clean out the contact points. The issue with my starter button is one of the plastic tabs that it pivots is broken so it doesn't make good contact if you put your thumb on the far end of the button like normal. I spreed out my thump across the whole switch and get continuity and the started to crank over each time.
[IMG]Taotao 2007 200cc atv switch by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Taotao 2007 200cc atv switch by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #25

Quote:
That was my issue, must of push it while i was loading the quad onto the truck. Starts right up now. I did clean up the wiring, a lot of loose connections.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #26

I'm fully aware of what a relief that is.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-21-2019, 12:25 AM   #27

Picked up a body for the quad, don't want to hack up the battery box tray. So ordered a short intake manifold for it. My question is do i need the hard plastic spacer between the carb & intake? or would a regular gasket work? The one on the long intake manifold is to small and does not seal completely.

Picked up this 3 piece body that's a close match, some finessing to get it to fit.
[IMG]Taotao body by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]

The intake manifold that was on the quad.
[IMG]Taotao intake manifold by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Switching to this intake, more room on top for the throttle cable and less cutting into the body.
[IMG]Taotao intake manifold by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 10-21-2019, 04:09 AM   #28

What's your plan for the old intake?

Old 10-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #29

You're saying that the short intake will work for you? It wouldn't in my quad; it needs the long intake tube that yours came with, so the throttle cable will clear the seat.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
What's your plan for the old intake?
Saving it Incase it didn’t pan out.