Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybike View Post

Now from what I have seen most new comers don't read up on stuff or take advise well. Hell many don't even know how to work the choke. Not putting folks down, but like I said, all you have to do is a little reading and research.
Well I'm definitely not a newcomer and I have 3 mechanical degrees under my belt, and I started at age 8 so you might have a year on me. And you're talking about a Magician so..

But the stock carb CAN be tuned well and as anyone that's rode my Hawk will attest, it starts runs and idles almost flawlessly. But I firmly believe I could've gotten to this point quicker and easier with a Mikuni clone. Sounds like you just got a defective one.

I will however give credit where credit is due. It was actually your post that encouraged me to take the needle even higher, which worked out very well.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Cut the bottom off of the gas cap or buy the new Honda gas cap that Herbie got for his Brozz.
eh, its a $30-40 cap, not the spirit of a china bike lol. Im going to take the stock cap to the local motorcycle grave yard and try to find one that will work cheap.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #18

I think people have misconstrued what I am saying about tuning the carbs. I am not saying it is impossible to get the stock pz30 to run. It is very doable. Nor have I ever said the Vm26 clones are necessarily better. What they are is easier to setup and tune. Sure you might spend 20 bucks more than the jet kit to do the stock carb, but you also gain the easy access to a whole world of mikuni jets, which in my experience is a good thing. Even genuine Keihin carbs can be a finicky pain in the butt when compared to genuine Mikunis. Why do you think most high performance carb kits are Mikuni based?

From my own experience of doing carb setups for more bikes than I can remember, the Mikunis were always the easiest to get the jetting dialed in. That being said, if you have the patience for it, keihin jets offer smaller increments in terms of sizing and really allow you to fine tune the fueling, which is why many OEM bikes came with keihin based carbs.

I personally don't see a reason to make a big deal out of somebody going with the Mikuni clone. Well... unless I was selling something for the non Mikuni clone carbs...
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124