Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #16

It did not come with a manual or any instructions.

I've been working on it for fun changing the oil, new battery, new plug but I have run into a real head-scratcher.

I was able to get an owner's manual online and I have been looking ALL OVER for the choke on this thing.

The owner's manual mentions a choke and that there are three settings but they do not show where it is.

There is a small silver screw on the carb that I think is to balance the air intake - but again, that is not identified either.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #17

A choke valve is sometimes installed in the carburetor of internal combustion engines. Its purpose is to restrict the flow of air, thereby enriching the fuel-air mixture while starting the engine.

Depending on engine design and application, the valve can be activated manually by the operator of the engine via a lever or pull handle or automatically by a temperaturesensitive mechanism called an automatic choke.

Choke valves are important for naturally-aspirated gasoline engines because small droplets of gasoline do not evaporate well within a cold engine.

By restricting the flow of air into the throat of the carburetor, the choke valve reduces the pressure inside the throat,which causes a proportionally greater amount of fuel to be pushed from the main jet into the combustion chamber during cold-running operation.

Once the engine is warm from combustion, opening the choke valve restores the carburetor to normal operation, supplying fuel and air in the correct stoichiometric ratio for clean efficient combustion.

The manual choke pull handle in a 1989 Hyundai Excel
The term "choke" is applied to the carburetor's enrichment device even when it works by a totally different method.

Commonly, SU carburettors have "chokes" that work by lowering the fuel jet to a narrower part of the needle. Some others work by introducing an additional fuel route to the constant depression chamber.

Chokes were nearly universal in automobiles until fuel injection began to supplant carburetors.

Choke valves are still common in other internal-combustion engines, including most small portable engines, motorcycles small propeller-driven airplanes, riding lawn mowers and normally-aspirated marine engines.

Tags
choke