Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Hi no spark mine is white plastic not painted, thats strange. Thats why i bought white,didn't want a painted one.
Black plastic is also not painted on my Storm. But the metalflake blue on my son's new TBR7 must be painted. Sure looks beauty I am amazed at how nice it looks.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #17

It could be I simply pulled off the top layer of the molded plastic but, that would seem odd to get substrate failure from the adhesive strength of a decal. Nothings impossible. I saw some carbon fiber decal material that I think will match pretty well to the fake carbon fiber look on the tank body panel. I can cut a shape that covers the peeled paint, mirror the shape in reverse for the other side, and life will be good again. I sure hate to ruin the collector value by not keeping it all factory original and never starting riding it but, sometimes ya just gotta go against the grain.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospark View Post
It could be I simply pulled off the top layer of the molded plastic but, that would seem odd to get substrate failure from the adhesive strength of a decal. Nothings impossible. I saw some carbon fiber decal material that I think will match pretty well to the fake carbon fiber look on the tank body panel. I can cut a shape that covers the peeled paint, mirror the shape in reverse for the other side, and life will be good again. I sure hate to ruin the collector value by not keeping it all factory original and never starting riding it but, sometimes ya just gotta go against the grain.
Collector Value ??? LMFAO !! that's big comedy there
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 02-26-2022, 12:00 PM   #19

It's all in the marketing. You gotta remember how the supply and demand thing works. All these kids that are buying China bikes today will get old like us. They'll start reminiscing about their good 'ol childhood days riding cheap China bikes. If they find a pristine, 50 y.o. TBR7 on Facebook Marketplace I'll bet they'll be willing to pay $50 bucks for it at least.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:04 PM   #20

I adjusted my valves this morning. They were super tight. Went .003" on intake, .004" exhaust. I'll check 'em again after a couple hundred miles just because. I was surprised how tight two of the three valve cover bolts were. I'm sure I was just short of snapping the heads off the two tight ones. No reason they needed to be anywhere near that tight to compress an o-ring gasket and hold the valve cover on. Man, if one had snapped, I would have been able to turn that into a bigger project than the fork oil change.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:09 PM   #21

Quote:
I adjusted my valves this morning. They were super tight. Went .003" on intake, .004" exhaust. I'll check 'em again after a couple hundred miles just because. I was surprised how tight two of the three valve cover bolts were. I'm sure I was just short of snapping the heads off the two tight ones. No reason they needed to be anywhere near that tight to compress an o-ring gasket and hold the valve cover on. Man, if one had snapped, I would have been able to turn that into a bigger project than the fork oil change.
I own a transmission shop. If you ever need advice on getting broken bolts out of aluminum, I'm your guy ! I wish there was a way to change ratios on these bikes this motor screams out for wider gears. Lot of low and midrange torque just needs a better way to spread it out. Thinking of buying a junk engine just to experiment.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 02-26-2022, 04:53 PM   #22

Got rear wheel off. Chain soaking in gear lube. The rear sprocket I bought is really nice. Isn't even close to fitting my wheel but, very nice all the same. Might fit a '42 Morgan 3 wheeler. So my aspirations of getting the sprocket and rear wheel back on today are extinguished. Had to go to Autozone and get snap ring pliers. The Fisher Price set I had wouldn't come close to opening up wide enough. $21 later, I got the sprocket off. Since I can't go any further now and my bike is scattered across the basement. I think I might order new bearings and seals with the correct sprocket and go aread and do it all at once.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Got rear wheel off. Chain soaking in gear lube. The rear sprocket I bought is really nice. Isn't even close to fitting my wheel but, very nice all the same. Might fit a '42 Morgan 3 wheeler. So my aspirations of getting the sprocket and rear wheel back on today are extinguished. Had to go to Autozone and get snap ring pliers. The Fisher Price set I had wouldn't come close to opening up wide enough. $21 later, I got the sprocket off. Since I can't go any further now and my bike is scattered across the basement. I think I might order new bearings and seals with the correct sprocket and go aread and do it all at once.
Harbor Freight can be a good source for tools and lighter on the wallet.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #24

Harbor Freight & Northern Tool, both good choices. Harbor Freight has received quite a bit of my money of the years.