Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2023, 06:30 PM   #16

If you have the idle speed too high, then it makes it harder to lift out of first. If your idle is around 1400-1500 rpm, then it's a lot easier to just apply a light touch when lifting out of first, which is going to help you hit neutral, if you have to apply heavier pressure to lift the shifter, then you have a better chance of passing neutral, and hitting 2nd.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:56 PM   #17

I'll check but idle seems OK

Old 06-12-2023, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddilink View Post
I installed the new springs. Shifting is a little smoother. Still can's get it into neutral when it's hot. I'll try to adjust.
Yeah, unfortunately, without shedding the heat out it's going to always be there. Once I found that sweet spot in the adjustment it really helped.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2023, 11:21 PM   #19

I'll search for that. Thanks Megdan

Old 06-13-2023, 07:59 AM   #20

and just in case, I want to mention something that happened recently with mine. The shifting characteristics changed completely when I changed oil again. I picked up some 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil from Walmart. The Walmart brand. and my bike is now shifting like it did when I first got it. As in, it misses second gear all the time. happened right away.

I had been running 20W50 V-twin synthetic oil. And that had been really making the transmission and clutch work well for thousands of miles. They were out of stock at a lot of stuff at this Walmart. Including the V-twin 20w50 that I like to use.

so I will be going back to the V-twin 20W50 oil on the next change if I can stand tye missed 2nds that long. might change back sooner because it’s a very annoying thing and makes you look stupid at a stoplight lol

Old 06-17-2023, 07:06 PM   #21

Now for some feedback. The problem is almost solved.
Mewgadan suggested new clutch springs and even provcided a link to the right part. Very thojughtful. I bought the springs and installed them. I did not see much improvement in finding neutral, but shifting through the gears was crisper.
Mwegadan also suggested taking up the slack in the clutch cable. I adjusted this as he suggested, and made sure there was some play in the cable to make sure the clutch was fully engaging.
Boatguy recommended a 20-50 synthetic oil he buys at a Wal-Mart. I bought 2 quarts and changed the oil (from 20-40 synthetic). You can see this is a higher viscosity oil when you are pouring it into the crankcase.
I tooik the bike for a nice long ride today, about an hour. It ran like a charm. I just installed a new set of front brakepads, and after they were broklen in, provided adequate stopping power.
I had an opportunity to shoft into neutral at a few stop lights and after a bit of fumbling, it went into neutral. Before, I could not even get it out of first gear. So this is a huge improvement. I'm expecting it will get better after break in. Only 668 miles.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for your excellent help. I greatly apprecaiate it. Vince

Old 06-17-2023, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddilink View Post
Now for some feedback. The problem is almost solved.
Mewgadan suggested new clutch springs and even provcided a link to the right part. Very thojughtful. I bought the springs and installed them. I did not see much improvement in finding neutral, but shifting through the gears was crisper.
Mwegadan also suggested taking up the slack in the clutch cable. I adjusted this as he suggested, and made sure there was some play in the cable to make sure the clutch was fully engaging.
Boatguy recommended a 20-50 synthetic oil he buys at a Wal-Mart. I bought 2 quarts and changed the oil (from 20-40 synthetic). You can see this is a higher viscosity oil when you are pouring it into the crankcase.
I tooik the bike for a nice long ride today, about an hour. It ran like a charm. I just installed a new set of front brakepads, and after they were broklen in, provided adequate stopping power.
I had an opportunity to shoft into neutral at a few stop lights and after a bit of fumbling, it went into neutral. Before, I could not even get it out of first gear. So this is a huge improvement. I'm expecting it will get better after break in. Only 668 miles.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for your excellent help. I greatly apprecaiate it. Vince
It's what we are here for! And yes, as you put miles on it the transmission will "loosen up" so to speak and shifting and neutral will get a little easier.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Tags
#transmission #firstgear