Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #16

So what is the answer Brainsquishy? I'm curious about the solution.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #17

the ground doesn't freeze like that here and the overhang that this was built under needed to be held up anyway (something that landlord and I noticed) so I actually killed 2 birds with one stone with this project.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #18

I agree that freezing isn't the most probable method of lift in this instance, but swelling due to changing moisture levels in the soil is.
See: http://www.ehow.com/list_6021568_req...struction.html

and
http://www.cityofevans.org/forms/slab.detail.pdf
more on google.

The project is certainly covered by the Municipal Building Controls office in your area and requires compliance with BC building codes. If nothing ever goes wrong, this issue will likely come up during a records search and building inspection during a home sale.

As a tenant that doesn't affect you, except the possible law suit from the landlord if he tries to recover money he may loose etc.
I have seen all of this before here in Ontario.
...I hate being a wet blanket....sorry.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #19

The "other answer" is:

If you confine your building to within 6' of a "heated space", you "generally" make out ok, not a good answer, not the best answer, but a practical answer.

I figure: if you have something someone wants they are going to end up with it. You can deter those looking for the "easy stuff", but no matter what you do, a "determined individual" will get your stuff in the end.

I always have found: a little dog poop (not from a little dog) in the yard puts the brakes to those looking for the "easy stuff".

Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #20

I have no doubt that you guys are right BUT we do not have ground swelling here. I have lived in this place for almost 8 yrs and have never seen the driveway swell from moisture or freezing.

and I told the landlord what happened and that if i get caught he will get the fine and he told me to just do it and he would deal with it.

so I did and they will get a lovely surprise if they do go into this area ....my big dog will be sleeping in there from this point on.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #21

i did do some digging around and chatted to a few ppl here and I do not need a permit to close in an existing structure.....however if i want to add any power outlets I do need to have it inspected.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #22

You're lucky. On this side of the river, we need a permit to close in a carport. On the flip side, we're allowed to build a 110 square foot shed without a permit, as long as easement rules are followed.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #23

I would think extending the footprint of the structure is outside of the term enclosing....just my 2cents...
Hope it works out fine.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!