Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Funny thing is. I run .06mm on my Hawk. So, I would say it's close to the same lol.
Yep. .002" is about .05+mm. Need a little for heat expansion and seat wear.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
So question for the hive here-still learning about carb tuning.
Is there any harm to running a tad rich on the high end? I know gas mileage might suffer some but mechanically speaking what’s the worse that could happen?
My idle is pretty well tuned and my needle is in position 5 (bottom most setting). At steady 50% throttle, 7-8k rpm and hotter than hell ambient temps, the thing *just* starts to pop from running rich-all the way up accelerating to it, sounds fine and pulls great. It’s just rich enough to let you know you’re not running lean lol.
Running a bit rich is not a problem. Excessively too rich will cause bogging/misfire when you twist the throttle. If it is on the edge, you won't get full normal throttle response (minor misfiring). Ideally, try one step down on the jet. If it seems more powerful and the minor bogging goes away, better. Mechanically, running rich won't hurt your engine, but the piston head, cylinder head/valve surfaces (and spark plug) will get coated with unburnt fuel which looks like a black and sooty build up. This is obvious when you pull the plug and "read" the spark plug (black dry soot). If in doubt, you can try something different, but waiting and reading the plug is going to give you the answers.

Did you save your OEM carb? It is a smoothbore YouALL PE30, and mine came with 120 main and 40 pilot jets. Jet it 125/45, reinstall it, and see how that works. It's a good carburetor. We are probably at the same altitude (below 1000 feet). On my bike, this is just slightly rich on the top end, as well as first 1/4 throttle. I shimmed the needle ~1mm (one washer) and now that the weather is warm, I don't need choke. That is at least slightly rich jetting. I think it's OK though. I also experience very slight misfire at top end, but I am not sure, so I will run it for a couple of tanks and read the plug... I might need to back off to OEM main (back to OEM 120!), or possibly remove the shim. Without some testing and time, I won't know for sure, either way. This is the first bike I got that was jet OEM nearly perfect for 600-1000 feet elevation. It is really close, and it won't hurt the bike.

Running lean is not good, but that is not what you asked!

Old 06-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Running a bit rich is not a problem. Excessively too rich will cause bogging/misfire when you twist the throttle. If it is on the edge, you won't get full normal throttle response (minor misfiring). Ideally, try one step down on the jet. If it seems more powerful and the minor bogging goes away, better. Mechanically, running rich won't hurt your engine, but the piston head, cylinder head/valve surfaces (and spark plug) will get coated with unburnt fuel which looks like a black and sooty build up. This is obvious when you pull the plug and "read" the spark plug (black dry soot). If in doubt, you can try something different, but waiting and reading the plug is going to give you the answers.

Did you save your OEM carb? It is a smoothbore YouALL PE30, and mine came with 120 main and 40 pilot jets. Jet it 125/45, reinstall it, and see how that works. It's a good carburetor. We are probably at the same altitude (below 1000 feet). On my bike, this is just slightly rich on the top end, as well as first 1/4 throttle. I shimmed the needle ~1mm (one washer) and now that the weather is warm, I don't need choke. That is at least slightly rich jetting. I think it's OK though. I also experience very slight misfire at top end, but I am not sure, so I will run it for a couple of tanks and read the plug... I might need to back off to OEM main (back to OEM 120!), or possibly remove the shim. Without some testing and time, I won't know for sure, either way. This is the first bike I got that was jet OEM nearly perfect for 600-1000 feet elevation. It is really close, and it won't hurt the bike.

Running lean is not good, but that is not what you asked!
I’m actually at 1700 lol.
With the stock carb I was way lean. Just sitting on the bike it’s so much cooler now. The stock pilot jet may even be clogged up a bit on it, I’m not sure, but stock I couldn’t let it idle for 5 minutes without worrying the motor was going to melt, now I can idle for 20 minutes at 90* ambient temp and it’s almost cool enough to touch…almost lol.
Nah I’m not to the point where it’s drowning (like it was with a 200 main and 60 pilot ) and bogging out, just starting to get some pops at high rpm in the needle range.
That’s what made me wonder why try for perfect when I know it’s a wee bit on the rich side, but if there’s no downside to that and it keeps the motor cooler, then why not? Better to be too rich than too lean.
The Mikuni jets measure differently from keihin or dynojet but I did roughly that-I set my pilot at 40 and main at 125, assuming they would both be richer than stock. Seemed to work out pretty well although I need to really sit at 75-80% throttle under load for a while and see how it sounds. I just haven’t had the time or when I do, the energy.
Then on to the flywheel key, which I’m sure will effect jetting needs
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 06-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #334

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I responded or posted anything in here, but just a couple of weeks ago, I was riding around in town one night and some lady took a left right in from of me and I struck her vehicle at about 50mph. I flew off the bike about 45ft and landed on the concrete hitting my head really hard, also fracturing my pelvis and separating it from my spine, and complete shattering my right arm. the head impact caused me to black out so I don't remember anything from 10 minutes before the wreck up until waking up in the recovery room. I had surgery on my pelvis with a rod inserted connecting my spine back to it and have rods in my arm holding the operated bones in place. I'm still in the hospital healing, but am to be released on Wednesday. the physical therapy has helped tremendously, I have now been able to move a whole lot more than before and I'm finally getting some feeling back in my right leg from the nerve damage, but still won't be walking for a little while. however, I'm still alive and breathing, so that's what matters, thank god.. my templar is off course totaled, so I'll be off two wheels for a very long time, I'll be getting a car as soon as I heal and get back to work, just getting too dangerous on these roads... figured I'd let you guys know, and for you all to please be safe out there and keep them helmets on!

Old 06-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #335

I am really sorry to hear about your very serious injuries scb. It is scary just thinking about how bad it can be on the road for us bikers. The fact that the PT is helping you quickly is good news. I hope it means you will get most or all of your abilities back. Take care of yourself. I am also sorry that you lost the Templar, but thinking more about your recovery. Hang in there.
Best,
Andrew

Last edited by Thumper; 06-27-2022 at 07:18 AM.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:12 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbindisbihhh View Post
Hey everyone, it's been a while…
Glory to God that you’re still among the living!
This sucks man. I’m so sorry to hear this happened to you and to your bike. What sort of gear were you wearing?
Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #337

SCB that is very saddening, wish you and your family all the best during recovery. It’s a god damn mystery out there and the gear reminder is appreciated.

Use my line and tell the docs you have the pain tolerance of a three-year old girl and the narcotics tolerance of Keith Richard. All jokes aside, your attitude is good and that helps.

Peace man

Old 06-27-2022, 06:42 PM   #338

Thank you and God bless you all. You guys are amazing, and I will do my best to overcome this! I hope you all remain safe and geared up for these wicked streets, and I'll be stopping by again soon.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #339

Ok knowledge check-what size wrench do I need to open the valve-covers? I’ve got up to a 19mm but that isn’t near big enough.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:21 AM   #340

Got my bike plated in Oklahoma today.
If I hadn’t had the updated “Motorcycle” MSO it wouldn’t have happened.
But, I did, so it’s plated now lol.

Edit: Man alive, there is no better way to start a three day weekend than by waking up before the kids, having some sexy-time with the wifey and a ride around what passes for my (very pastoral) neighborhood while it’s still cool.

Fine tuning the jetting on this thing is a blast. I’m getting into needle tapers and valve cutaways. That sort of tinkering has always appealed to me a great deal. I’m thinking about trying out a flatslide carb (Mikuni TM28 I believe) to see if there’s really anything to be had of it.
I’ll soon be taking Rocinante on her longest trip so far-about 60 miles to our new house. All via dirt and gravel backroads. I don’t anticipate fuel being an issue but has anyone actually tested gas mileage?

Last edited by Okierider; 07-02-2022 at 07:37 AM.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:35 AM   #341

Went into the valve check/adjustment yesterday and found some interesting gaps. The bike has 150 miles, with three oil changes done.

The motor when new and never run it had .08mm on the intake & exhaust, a .1mm was a no go. Seemed loose would be good for break in.

After the 150 miles- found the intake is tighter than .05, and the exhaust loosened up to over .1mm.

Seems strange to me that the exhaust went loose.

For the first adjustment, set intake and exhaust to .05mm. Had to give the idle speed screw a bump as the idle lowered with the new valve settings (.05).

Bike ran great, before and after. Was curious to see if anyone has seen valves go loose after break in.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #342

My bike is completely stock still. I have stock carb no jetting change. Engine is running good enough not perfect does not like cold starts and pops on deceleration.

I do burn a lot of fuel going 55MPH. I'm guessing
40 to 50MPG fuel usage.. Probably an indication I need to do the carb jetting..

I've been using onX Maps to locate a couple of Creeks for early morning trout fishing. The 13-42 gear ratio is great in the woods to the streams. But still the engine is to wound out on Hwy. Im attempting a 14 front sprocket. If I split the case from a chain break clearance issue oh well I've enjoyed the crap out of this bike already. Just needs a little more low RPM speed on HWY..

I started having valve chatter and adjusted my valves back to .02 & .04mm..

Engine vibration sorta sucks hopefully lower RPM will take that away..

Old 07-02-2022, 11:58 PM   #343

You know what, there is one thing in this bike that sucks-the headlight.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #344

Does anyone have any recommendations with purchasable links for new front/rear sprockets? Would like to get higher speeds with lower rpms. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations with purchasable links for new front/rear sprockets? Would like to get higher speeds with lower rpms. Thanks!
It appears that you may have to grind out space to increase front sprocket to 14T, but the sprocket you would need to get is JT sprocket JTF270. Jerry found it. Look at thread titled "Templar X first mod 14T sprocket" for details.

Last edited by Thumper; 07-05-2022 at 01:13 PM.