Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2022, 08:50 AM   #391

That YouALL carb should be a smoothbore like the one that came with mine. It is a great carb. I made minor changes, pilot 40 > 45 and main 120 > 125, and shimmed with one washer (about 1mm).
I am at about 850 feet. No mods. When I pulled the plug, it looked perfect. Starts easy, choke off right away. This should be OK when it gets cold too.

Now I keep getting these Zuumav K7-NC300 and K7-NC450 (both 6 speed) adds from AliExpress on the lower screen banner pop up add this forum has.
It is exasperating to see these incredible bikes selling for under $2500, but then shipping is time consuming, at risk for damage, and expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
Well I have gone back to the factory Youall carb.
Using stock jetting on the youall a 125 jet is running rich for me. Last ride I had it on (around 50 miles driving it to our new house) it would start to drown above 9000 rpm.
The Mikuni is a better carb for a lot of reasons, but primarily due to its ease of tuning. Once you’ve got the pilot circuit figured out you never need to remove the bowl again. Swapping mains only requires removing a nut at the bottom of the bowl. It is an exceptional piece of machinery, truly.
However, I came to realize that I was fighting not with jets but with the needle profile and slide cutaway. Mikuni slides (from what I’ve gathered) come with cutouts numbered from 1 to 2.5 in .5 segments (for the vm28 anyway). The carb comes jetted 60/200 pilot/main and has an appropriately sized cutaway (2.5) and needle (5P21) for that size jetting-way, WAY too large for the 250. In fact according to the Mikuni VM tuning manual 28mm is at the bleeding edge of being too large for a 20hp 250-26mm is what they would say is appropriate I think. Then you have to figure out a needle profile. 5 or 6 step, and a dozen different needles makes it a pain for a noob.
The stock carb has a much smaller cutaway and a much thinner needle profile than the Mikuni and that made a world of difference in consistency.
It is slower, but we’re talking 2-3mph at the absolute top of the RPM range in 5th gear-however the heat may very well account for that.
I have a 26 floating around that I may try in the future (it’s much smaller than the youall) but for now it’s fine lol.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:08 AM   #392

PSM is teasing.. they put the Templar X back up on their page, and it's a refurbished one but then it says Out of Stock on it and no way to purchase it. Annoying! I actually almost bought a Suzuki DRZ400S a day ago, but the deal fell through.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #393

It will be worth waiting for. It's a great bike. I can't stand riding with temps hovering near or above 200, so I am not riding either.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:09 PM   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlerap View Post
PSM is teasing.. they put the Templar X back up on their page, and it's a refurbished one but then it says Out of Stock on it and no way to purchase it. Annoying! I actually almost bought a Suzuki DRZ400S a day ago, but the deal fell through.
I bought it at 5:55 am this morning, not sure why they still have it up on the site. I got the Templar a little over a month ago but really wanted the x. I’ll post the differences from an owning both perspective once it arrives.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It will be worth waiting for. It's a great bike. I can't stand riding with temps hovering near or above 200, so I am not riding either.
Above 100F, not 200. lol

Old 07-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 View Post
I bought it at 5:55 am this morning, not sure why they still have it up on the site. I got the Templar a little over a month ago but really wanted the x. I’ll post the differences from an owning both perspective once it arrives.
Dude I wanna kill you. I've been checking their site once every like 2 hours for over a week lol.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlerap View Post
Dude I wanna kill you. I've been checking their site once every like 2 hours for over a week lol.
The sales rep said they should have more in stock in a week or so

Old 07-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #398

It's OK riddler! You may spend another few hundred, but it will be a new one with no scratched up parts, and maybe a color choice! Yup. I got the orange...Good things come to those who wait.

Just look at this close up of the adjustable dog-legged clutch lever (and finger lever choke). This lets you set how close the lever is to the grip, then adjust the cable to engage/disengage the clutch where you want it to
You can see the adjuster (stainless steel, which is all over this bike!) above the choke lever cable:

The brake lever has a similar adjuster. You can place these levers EXACTLY where you want them. What other dual sports bikes have this ?!!

And check out these radiator mounts on the frame (under the rectifier, in front of the valve adjust port). They use them on this air cooled model to mount a metal frame and plastic louvers to guide air to the engine. If you put oil coolers there, it would be even better:

Last edited by Thumper; 07-20-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 View Post
The sales rep said they should have more in stock in a week or so
Nice.. they told me 2 weeks about a week ago, then said 2 months. Been looking at other bike options on Facebook and Craigslist since but really do want the Temp X, seems like it has everything I want, plus this glorious thread for upgrade advice and how-to info.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #400

Quote:
It's OK riddler! You may spend another few hundred, but it will be a new one with no scratched up parts, and maybe a color choice! Yup. I got the orange...Good things come to those who wait.

Just look at this close up of the adjustable dog-legged clutch lever (and finger lever choke). This lets you set how close the lever is to the grip, then adjust the cable to engage/disengage the clutch where you want it to
You can see the adjuster (stainless steel, which is all over this bike!) above the choke lever cable:

The brake lever has a similar adjuster. You can place these levers EXACTLY where you want them. What other dual sports bikes have this ?!!

And check out these radiator mounts on the frame (under the rectifier, in front of the valve adjust port). They use them on this air cooled model to mount a metal frame and plastic louvers to guide air to the engine. If you put oil coolers there, it would be even better:

The waits killing me!

Old 07-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
I'll also note, it has mounting points for rear pegs, but does not come with the Pegs.
I noticed this. I like the red, Huck! And the suspension on this dual sport enduro could handle a passenger
I would like to add them, but not sure how to find them. Here is the right footpeg mount:

Did I mention it comes with a smoothbore PE30 carb?

Old 07-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #402

Quote:
I noticed this. And the suspension on this dual sport enduro could handle a passenger
I would like to add them, but not sure how to find them. Here is the right footpeg mount:

If you check out the bike straight from the manufacturer (zuumav) on alibaba they have the passenger pegs in the photos. You can reach out to them to see how to obtain them. I am going to see what they say.

There is a nice pair on eBay, it says mounting holes are 2.76” apart. Does that sound right?

Old 07-20-2022, 09:05 PM   #403

AJ,

NO, it is 2.5" on the Templar X

I just measured. 2.76" matches the TBR7 and Storm rear footpeg mounts.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:35 PM   #404

Quote:
AJ,

NO, it is 2.5" on the Templar X

I just measured. 2.76" matches the TBR7 and Storm rear footpeg mounts.
Thanks! I’m on a mission to find them. Worst case the 2.76” can be heated and bent?

Old 07-20-2022, 09:59 PM   #405

Thanks! this 2022 Templar X comes with very geared down final drive 13T front, 49T rear). You can find yourself in 5th gear going 35mph! It does wind out but I don't think it will exceed 60mph lol

I only use it for off road fun (and streets getting there), so it doesn't matter for now. I have the Storm for riding a little faster on the hwy.

I will upgrade sprockets and a new chain when this set is showing signs of age. By then, maybe i will know what will work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I did a little digging around and came across this information for an earlier ZS172FMM engine. This is the shorter stroke version, not the 3 or 3A variant with the larger stroke that comes in these bikes, but I would imagine the transmission ratios between the two are the same or similar. You could always plug this information into a gearing calculator like the link above or gearingcommander.com and see if the data you get out matches what you see on your own bike. If so, then that should help you guys determine good ratios for this bike.

Last edited by Thumper; 07-21-2022 at 08:20 AM.