Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Rear LED lights for $3

I was strolling through WalMart the other day, and came across some trailer lights on clearance. These are the kind that'd mark the center of a wider trailer. They are three LED's wired together, sealed and mounted on a stainless steal strip.

I like the idea of extra light to wake up texting/sleepy early morning drivers, and figured these would work well. I added some reflective tape, and mounted them to the top box. Other then giving it a bit of a 'Gold wing' look, I like the greater presence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lights on.jpg (92.1 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg Lights off.jpg (96.4 KB, 632 views)

Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

I like this. So some may not like the aesthetics, or think it's not so cool (this is just my imagination of the naysayers). I think it looks good and neatly done and tremendously effective.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

I'm thinking maybe I'll rewire it. Two outside lit with tail light. Middle lighting with the brake. Pretty straight forward.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Looked at it and said " Im sorry baby, maybe next time" then jumped on the Harley and went to the local dealer for their sale day and cook out....

Old 04-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Finally heres the pics of the police engine guards on my bike JB. Had trouble loading them to Photobucket. [IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the photos, rj.

Quite impressive engine guards!

jb

Old 04-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

Hi everyone again! In Moscow, finally warm weather and torrential rain and 41 degrees Fahrenheit came to clear skies and 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Well, the bike finally since the beginning of March it became necessary cooling system. And here I was expecting problems. I found that the fans do not work and I almost got overheated engine. It was found experimentally that the thermistor and the thermostat is working, finally today I was sorting out the wiring of the motorcycle. At the junction of the two wires I found the twist which moved down to the insulation. Wire was not soldered between each other. Only one is connected by soldering to the ring. After a normal soldering, the problem was resolved. I hope that you are not so poorly designed.

I also changed the oil, brake fluid, brake pads discs, put it on the front of the led lamp. I dare say that a led lamp is much better than the standard.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Rus,

Thanks for posting the warning. I hope you enjoy a good riding season in Moscow.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

Well at just over 9000 miles the original rear tire was worn out and the chain was stretching. So this weekend I installed the following. A new chain, a 13 tooth sprocket, a new CST rear tire, and I replaced the rear hub bearings. I only took the bike for a 12-15 mile test ride but I like the new sprocket. No more slipping the clutch to get started on the slightest incline.

2016 CSC RX3 Sahara Orange

Old 05-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

Good job, AdAn82! Great job deducing what was amiss. I did the same... except I buttoned up my bike and wondered why it was clacking so loudly upon firing up. I had to tear it down again and I rotated the engine so it was on the back side of the cam lobe for the intake, then adjusted the valve. Then I rotated the engine until the exhaust valves were on the cam's base circle and did the adjustment again. Worked fine and the bike ran (and still runs!) great!

Old 05-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #11

Windscreen spoiler, odds and ends

I have a long torso which has my helmet out in the breeze when riding even though I'm only 5'10". Today I installed a windscreen spoiler I found on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=221708071924 Shop around if you are interested as you can find them a little cheaper than the $40 I paid (as I found out later). Delivery was fairly quick just over a week. Its adjustable for height and angle, check out the pics. It also comes in black but I like the plain aluminum, it looks fine. I haven't tried every angle and height yet but it seems to work as advertised. The screws are fiddly to start when attaching the spoiler to the provided bracket, took some time but they eventually will thread in.

Yesterday I added some white reflective tape to the rear and sides of the luggage for more visibility. Less than $10 at Harbor Freight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2519.jpg (84.0 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2522.jpg (86.1 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2524.jpg (89.1 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2526.jpg (90.7 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2528.jpg (91.9 KB, 743 views)

Old 05-12-2017, 01:32 AM   #12

I have the same one on mine and it's great.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

Dodged a HUGE bullet . . .

So, I was doing a test ride yesterday after my valve adjustment. Everything was purring like a kitten. I actually felt like it was running better than when I got it!

Stopped at a stop light and accelerated fairly quickly on green and I noticed a tapping sound developing. Uh oh.

Within a quarter of a mile the tapping was definitely getting louder and kept pace with the RPMs. Crap.

Within the next half mile, it was deafening. Had to limp it home (luckily, very close).

Because of the way things unfolded, I suspected a lock nut had come loose on one of the valves. So, I let it sit overnight and ripped it back apart. Bingo.

Not only had it backed off . . . it was GONE. I was worried I was going to have to pull the motor and find what kind of damage this had done (and to find the nut!). But first I dug around in the bottom of my tool bag and found my flexible magnet-on-a-stick . . . poked it around in the top end and heard that satisfying "click" . . . found it! Used a mirror and a bright flashlight to look around for any damage and couldn't find any. Re-did the valve adjustment (and tightened the HELL out of all of the lock nuts). Started right up an is purring like a kitten again.

I'm bummed because I had planned on leaving for Key West early this morning . . . but, I'm pretty happy that this happened yesterday down the street from me instead of in the middle Seven Mile Bridge halfway through my trip!

On another note, I made the change from normal to synthetic on my 3rd oil change and WOW. It's so much more smooth now! Shifting is easier, it even sounds like it's quieter!

2016 CSC RX3
2015 TaoTao 50
2006 GSX-R 600 (retired)

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off"

Old 05-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAn82 View Post
Dodged a HUGE bullet . . .

...I'm bummed because I had planned on leaving for Key West early this morning . . . but, I'm pretty happy that this happened yesterday down the street from me instead of in the middle Seven Mile Bridge halfway through my trip!...
Amen!

I tighten the living daylights out of those tappet nuts on all my motorcycles, and I haven't damaged one yet. Tighten those nights very securely and you won't have any problems.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #15

Way to go, Your living your life right!

Maybe that syn oil is so slick it loosened that nut right off
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~