Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
I might have to pull my daughter's 50cc mini beast lever apart to see how it is inside there.
That's a good idea. Maybe the levers operate differently from left to right. Still doesn't explain the symptom, but we'll get there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhunter
Hey TurboT just back from holidays. Hi all! Just a crazy thought about the rear brake light. Did you try switching the wiring harness for the kill switch at the the back? My kill switch is currently unplugged and I can still start it. On my mini beast the wiring colour is confusing between those two wiring harnesses that are side by side.
Hey crhunter, welcome back. Hope you had a good holiday.

I haven't tried that no.. however I guess I'm a bit confused by your idea. I think you may be on to something if the light stayed on all the time, but if I unplug wiring from the handlebars that seem to be giving me the problem, the light functions properly from the other side. With that said, I do think the light is plugged into the right harness.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 AM   #33

Quote:
TurboT
I haven't tried that no.. however I guess I'm a bit confused by your idea. I think you may be on to something if the light stayed on all the time, but if I unplug wiring from the handlebars that seem to be giving me the problem, the light functions properly from the other side. With that said, I do think the light is plugged into the right harness.
What do you mean by the other side? I just disassembled my headlight in Kamloops, the bulb is a 12V 9watt I believe, it burnt out. I couls never get high/low beam to work? Hmmmm have to play around with that. The front headlight seemed to work fine blue/white wires same as harness. What I mean about switching is plug your rear brake light into what you think is the rear kill switch harness. It seems to be getting power/electricity whether the brake lever is depressed or not right?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Quote:
TurboT
What do you mean by the other side? I just disassembled my headlight in Kamloops, the bulb is a 12V 9watt I believe, it burnt out. I couls never get high/low beam to work? Hmmmm have to play around with that. The front headlight seemed to work fine blue/white wires same as harness. What I mean about switching is plug your rear brake light into what you think is the rear kill switch harness. It seems to be getting power/electricity whether the brake lever is depressed or not right?
It seemed that way, but I've narrowed it down to the switch in the front brake lever. I can get it to shut off if I depress the switch with a screwdriver with the lever dissasembled.. and when I disconnect the wire, the rear brake lever works as it should activate the light when squeezed.

I have a mini beast here as well with no high beam, just low beam. The bulb has a strange contraption on it which holds it in the receptor. I was going to try to source as well since I broke this current one, and gio doesn't have the bulbs, just the whole assembly. (I should point out again it wasn't working either low or high before butterfingers me dropped it)

Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 AM   #35

Do you think John would replace the rear brake lever assembly? Might be worth a try. So the rear brake is disengaged (meaning the rear wheels will roll freely) but the brake is still on? I look at my brake lever and see if I can find the switch tomorrow in the daylight and get back to you. How do you paste pics in your post? Also, isn't that a normal 12v bulb that you could get at Princess Auto? I might have to go dig the broken one out of the garbage to look for a match.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Do you think John would replace the rear brake lever assembly? Might be worth a try. So the rear brake is disengaged (meaning the rear wheels will roll freely) but the brake is still on? I look at my brake lever and see if I can find the switch tomorrow in the daylight and get back to you. How do you paste pics in your post? Also, isn't that a normal 12v bulb that you could get at Princess Auto? I might have to go dig the broken one out of the garbage to look for a match.
Geeze mate never toss them out till you find a perfect match!!

No you are misunderstanding the brake light issue. I'm pretty sure the switch for the back brake lever is the metal looking disc/plunger under the lever. You can hear it 'click' when you squeeze it.

The back brake lever and brake light is functioning properly. The issue is I have a front brake lever as well, and that is the problem. When I disconnect the wiring from the front brake lever, I have no issue. It is obviously a faulty switch inside, or I'm missing something stupid. However it came out of the box this way, so I'm not the only one who missed it.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #37

Sorry I'm missing the point. I'm confused, I'm headin to rummage through my garbage for my light. Alright I must be tired what is wrong with the front brake lever? They don't operate the brake light only the rear break lever does.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #38

Quote:
No you are misunderstanding the brake light issue. I'm pretty sure the switch for the back brake lever is the metal looking disc/plunger under the lever. You can hear it 'click' when you squeeze it.
Okay I get that, I looked at mine today and yes there is "click" when you squeeze it.

Quote:
The back brake lever and brake light is functioning properly. The issue is I have a front brake lever as well, and that is the problem. When I disconnect the wiring from the front brake lever, I have no issue. It is obviously a faulty switch inside, or I'm missing something stupid. However it came out of the box this way, so I'm not the only one who missed it.
What do you mean by wiring? The brake cables? I have no electrical wiring on my front brake lever. Your front brakes are drum not disk right?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #39

Quote:
What do you mean by wiring? The brake cables? I have no electrical wiring on my front brake lever. Your front brakes are drum not disk right?
Well ain't that just strange?!

I have a wire under my front brake lever that slides down and connects into the mess of wiring harness, and does activate the brake light, but it reverse. Stays on all the time as mentioned.

My 50cc unit also has a brake light indicator switch on the front brake handlebar...which works as it's supposed to.

..and yes, they are the cork pad/drum rotor style which I can't get to work properly anyhow.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #40

My new 50cc had the exact same problem, the wire leading from the front brake wasn't plugged in, when i did plug it in the brake light would stay on all the time. To fix it i pushed the round plastic looking pc with the wires futher into the lever assembly ( it looked loose ) until the brake light functioned properly, i then used a couple of drops of CA to lock it in place, has been fine since.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #41

OK, i just broke the glue loose to inspect the action you are saying, when i pulled the pc that the arrow in my picture link below shows the brake light stayed on, when applying the brake the light still stayed on, when i pushed that pc back in futher the brake light acted as normal, while testing different postions i found there was one spot where the brake light would stay on and when front brakes were appiled the light would go off, exactly what you are seeing.
So as mentioned in my post above, try pushing that pc in futher.

http://microsprint9.angelfire.com/mi...lever?i=13&s=1

Old 08-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
My new 50cc had the exact same problem, the wire leading from the front brake wasn't plugged in, when i did plug it in the brake light would stay on all the time. To fix it i pushed the round plastic looking pc with the wires futher into the lever assembly ( it looked loose ) until the brake light functioned properly, i then used a couple of drops of CA to lock it in place, has been fine since.
So you just shoved the wire/switch into the brake lever farther?? Hmm.. I know I can move this peice in and out but I don't see how that makes a difference, however I will try anything once.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #43

Try and u shall try no more.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #44

Well Well Well...

The other day I noticed this wire was loose, and I did push it in some to no difference..

Now that you said this, I pushed it a lot harder, and it made an odd clicking sound, and voila, works like supposed to. I'm astonished!

I do think I said it would be something simple earlier in this post!!

I feel foolish of course.... waynev welcome to the forums again and don't run away! :P

Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #45

Glad i could help out, i've learned quite a bit about these quad's in 5 days but i think my past microsprint experience and my electronics technician college years have taught me a thing or two.
Make sure you glue that pc in the lever assembly to keep it put, after fiddling with mine yesterday it seems to pull out on it's own and the brake light is on solid now, i better reglue it.