Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #31

Here's my 2 cents. I have a jug of Seafoam in my garage. I use it to treat the gas before storage of everything I have. The main thing I use it for is cleaning the internals before an oil change of my car. My use started when I had an Isuzu Amigo (my little friend). There are certain years of the Amigos and Rodeos that had too small of holes in the piston oil rings in the V6. They become clogged easily and the vehicle starts using oil. I found this out after mine was using about a quart every two weeks or so. Checking forums lead me to Seafoam. They said to add a 1/2 cup or so to the crank case, drive for 20 minutes or so, and then do the oil change. I tried it and the problem went away and I've been a user ever since.

I haven't looked at all the tests that Spud has posted but the Seafoam one did show some improvement. There are other procedures where the plugs are pulled and the stuff is poured onto the tops of the pistons. This cleans them off also.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 05-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
back in the day ,I had a car mechanic tell me he ran a quart of ATF oil in his gas tank every couple of thousand miles just to lube things up and thought it help motor last longer and run smoother. FYI ,YMMV ,CAVIAT EMPTOR, and all those other here to for warnings. I believe him, it was before the internet. rj
My father (he was a mechanic) used atf to clean out the top end he poured it in the carb while reving the engine want to talk about some smoke.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
My father (he was a mechanic) used atf to clean out the top end he poured it in the carb while reving the engine want to talk about some smoke.
Used to do the same thing back in the 70's! You could stop traffic with that smoke! Unreal thick......and it stuck around....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #34

I had a chance to watch the cleaner videos at a wifi hotspot.

None of the results were very impressive concerning hardened carbon deposits.

I hope they are better at cleaning fuel injectors and other parts of the fuel system....or I have wasted a lot of money over the years.

Spud, how did the piston your RX3 compare to the pistons in the videos?

How did your piston compare to my TW200 piston?

The picture in your "top end rebuild" thread was not very clear.

Here is a photo of the piston of my Tw200 after 9,000 miles (the photo was taken after I had partially cleaned the piston).

I used Seafoam after every oil change (every 1,000 miles) and if I was having carb problems.

An additional benefit to watching the videos was I discovered I could get a borescope camera that connects to my laptop for less that $20.

One more question...Do you still have the OCS hose connected to the air box?

jb

Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
...How did your piston compare to my TW200 piston?...

...One more question...Do you still have the OCS hose connected to the air box?

jb
After 22,450 miles, the carbon buildup on my RX3 piston was similar to the carbon buildup on your TW200 piston.

I reconnected my OCS in the 'unofficial position,' which was the way I received it from CSC.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2017, 01:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post

Question though...on the MMO, would or have you also add that to your motorcycle engine oil? Any concerns about the clutch?

Thanks!
I have used it on a wet clutch system. It won't harm the clutch at all, but be aware that MMO is pretty thin stuff, so you wouldn't want to add a bunch. The main reason us 4cyl Goldwingers use it in the fuel is to help lubricate certain moving components inside the carburetors as well as helping to keep the very small passages in said carbs as clean/clear as possible. Goldwing carbs are a bit different than the Keihin or Mikuni's used on these bikes, and far more complicated. For example, they use an extra jet to meter idle air from the plenum that is part of the slow jet circuit - and they have a curb idle screw for the throttle butterflies. 4 jets in total, per carb. Wrap your head around that lol

All of that said - I switched to Stabil Marine fuel treatment. Same lubricating benefits, but far better at keeping the fuel fresh and dealing with condensation (it's designed for boats after all)

For cleaning my sump/case I have been using Rislone oil treatment. It has a mild detergent package that slowly breaks up deposits to suspend it.

I am not a fan of more aggressive motor flush treatments (Seafoam), but that is personal preference.