Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #31

I think so. If you wired it direct to the battery and it didn't sound.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #32

On any 12v system,All ya need is power and ground....

Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #33

Horn doesn't work

Alright, so I will need a new horn. Here's a another question. I have a wire tester and I tested both wires going to the horn. One illuminates the tester and the other doesn't. Does this mean one wire is bad?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by srreynolds2003
I tried a car horn from Oreilly's and it would not work...I plugged it up and it just clicked when I pressed the button and it did not blow...so I took it back....
Not sure if ya know,But, A car horn grounds thru its mount.

Wich means if you take it out of it's package and add power it won't work!

It has to have a good ground, Take a test light and put the sharp end into the 12v(+) wire connect the other side to the frame were the horn mounts then turn the key on and push the horn button if the light comes on,so should your new horn.

P.S. If you have a weak ground, The horn will sometimes click,instead of blowing...

I will have to check my Roketa,But I think it has two wires connected to it wich would indicate it get's its ground thru a wire and not straight of the chasis. If this is the case on your bike, You may need to buy a import horn from Autozone, It should have 2 terminal, 1 for ground and 1 for power.....

Just throwing some stuff out there, DannyB.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #35

Re: Horn doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komoto250cc
Alright, so I will need a new horn. Here's a another question. I have a wire tester and I tested both wires going to the horn. One illuminates the tester and the other doesn't. Does this mean one wire is bad?
Just saw this one! But,I think I answered it in the above.....

To test those wires, connect the test light between the two wires, Turn key on then push horn button, If the light comes on, One is power and one is ground. If the light comes on,that would be like the horn blowing.

Make sure your new horn has a terminal for power and ground, I think the autozone import horns are set up that away!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #36

Test light

Okay. I will try the suggestion relating to the test light. I can't believe I don't know how to use a test light! I am no mechanic

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 AM   #37

Okay. I connected the two wires through the light/wire tester and no illumination. Do I have a faulty wire?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 AM   #38

Re: Test light

Quote:
Okay. I will try the suggestion relating to the test light. I can't believe I don't know how to use a test light! I am no mechanic
One more thing, To determine wich wire is power,Connect clamp on the light to negatve side of battery(-) Place pointy end into horn wire terminal,key-on push button. The wire that makes the light come on is power, the other is negative.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #39

If you were wondering, I also turned on the key and pressed the horn button.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #40

I checked to see which wire was + by placing the light clamp on negative pole on the battery. Neither wire illuminated the light tester after turning key and pressing button. However, I placed the light clamp on the positive pole and did the same thing. One wire illuminated the light tester. So, this must be the ground wire right?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Okay. I connected the two wires through the light/wire tester and no illumination. Do I have a faulty wire?
Was the key on? and did ya push the button? Just asking.....

If ya did everything right,and ya had a good connection with the test light,Than, I would say you have a problem!!!

Could be a wire, Could be a bad horn swith. I don't think your bike has a horn relay.

Could be a bad connection some where up in the harness,Between those two wires and the battery.

You need to check and see if you are loosing power and ground.or,Just one or the other. Do this by reading the above post.

Sorry, It's alot easier to doing it than typing it...

Old 06-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #42

Komoto250cc
Ya I think so, work back from that spot and see if a connection is unplugged. Use dielectric grease on your connections as you check for faults.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #43

A few weeks ago, I took apart the housing around the horn button. Nothing looked out of order. The spring was in place, there was connection when I pressed the button, the wire was soddered to peice under the spring. <shrugs> It must be the power wire. Now the question is, where is it bad?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 AM   #44

Quote:
I checked to see which wire was + by placing the light clamp on negative pole on the battery. Neither wire illuminated the light tester after turning key and pressing button. However, I placed the light clamp on the positive pole and did the same thing. One wire illuminated the light tester. So, this must be the ground wire right?
Yes! Soo, your loosing power. This could be a wire or the switch or a connection. I would say, Trace that wire back till it comes to a connection or the switch. Think of that positive wire as a water hose, The water is getting stopped somewhere between the wire and the battery.Trace it back little by little till ya find some water!

The switch can be checked,But,Ya need volt meter!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 AM   #45

Ironfist,

I would hate to tear apart the wire wrap next to the frame and under the gas tank. If I have to, I guess I have too! Is there a good tape to bundle all the wire back together?