Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

YamaZong XT200GY-2 gets an FMF Turbine Core 2 Spark Arrestor

About one week ago I installed a Yamaha XT225 stainless steel exhaust header and FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor on my YamaZong XT200GY-2 motorcycle. Here is a photograph of my Zong with the old exhaust system.

Here is a photograph of my Zong with the new exhaust system.

My main objective for installing the new exhaust system was to make the Zong lose some more weight, and I was successful. The old exhaust system weighed 11 pounds! 8O

The new exhaust system weighs 4 pounds, so my Zong is now 7 pounds lighter than before! Also, I much prefer the appearance of the new exhaust system.

The mounting is very secure using just the exhaust header bolts and the hanger bracket supplied with the spark arrestor. As you can see below, the FMF has very good clearance from my rear wheel.

The Yamaha XT225 stainless steel exhaust header is very light, and it matches the stainless steel midpipe supplied with the FMF. The entire exhaust system is now maintenance free, and it is beginning to take on a very nice blue and golden color.

My Zong’s performance seems to be significantly better with the FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor. I must admit, I can only give the impressions from my “butt dynamometer.”

Losing 7 pounds of weight from the motorcycle must certainly help the performance a little bit. Also, the bike now seems to accelerate faster through all the gears, and I appear to have gained about 5 mph of top speed with the same gear ratio.

Also, the Zong now starts even more easily than before. The bike also warms up to operating speed almost immediately, and it idles better. Finally, the bike sounds a bit better. The FMF is slightly louder than the original exhaust system. It is loud enough to help identify my presence in city traffic, but it is not too loud to be objectionable to my neighbors.

The installation was very straightforward. I trimmed about 1-7/8 inches from the midpipe supplied with the FMF, and everything connected together and aligned perfectly. I wish to offer special thanks to forum members DesertRider and Madbare for their good advice and photographs regarding this installation.

I live at 4,400 feet above sea level. I frequently ride to elevations of 8,000 feet above sea level, and higher. I have not needed to rejet my carburetor with the new exhaust system. My motorcycle runs very well with this exhaust system, and I am very pleased with the results.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894