Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #436

I don't much care about the appearance of welds as long as they're good strong welds and the parts are all straight and in there correct positions. Welding is an art. I don't know if these bikes are welded by hand or machine. I do know not every assembly line worker can be a welding artist.

/

Old 04-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #437

I've seen pretty welds that did not get full penetration and ugly welds that were stronger than the surrounding metal. ugly welds don't bother me.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Welding is an art.
/
You're not kidding. I just did some damn ugly welding last weekend on the Rhino. I rely heavily on a grinder. That's what happens when a guy welds once every 5+ years....but it stuck! :-)

The upside is out of the 6 CB's I've had, I've not had a single weld fail regardlesss of appearance or the abuse I've put them through.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #439

c'mon you guys are killing me here. look at the welds on that frame as well.

Look , here's the deal. csc tells everyone they are going to get the boat special and save like 500.oo or so by putting down a thou cash some what?6,7,8 months in advance.? then we got people on this board and else where (csc blogs/vids etc} extolling the awesome attention to detail of zong et al and the extreme quality control etc etc etc.
now it turns out the savings are really less than a hundred bucks, and we see welds like that.

just to let you know, when my bro and i went down to look at our first hawk in person, the very first words out of his mouth were " DAMNED, look at those welds!!!" having both had previous china bikes as well as jap, brit, american, italian, german, and even russian, czech, spanish and korean bikes, we were both shocked by the immaculate quality of the hawk welds, clearly equal to anyone's, at least on that hawk. the decision to purchase was instant , in fact having got the one, changed the pegs and gearing and ridden the hell out of it , we liked it so much we got another and are pleased as punch with both.

nonetheless, seeing csc going all out for the top enduro type bike with the upgrades etc., going the extra mile with the classy service videos etc.,and the zong afficianatos ' steady quality mantra, i finally succumbed, joined the herd, and reserved one myself.

In a few weeks , i will see for myself if the tt250 is worth the extra dough for those of us outside the peoples republic of california and its 60's remnant planet ,protecting "hey, this 15.00 min wage doesn't make any sense, but i'll sign it anyway" governor .(i met him back in the 'hazy' days of his youth, could tell u stories...}.

now granted, the tt250 photos we have are off one -prototype demo only and having read a bit about the zong's chairman, owner, big dog whatever's personal push to move the chinese bike industry to the next level, i remain hopeful the bikes we get, especially my fast red one , will represent the epitome of the chinese dual sport/trail genre and a worthy competitor to any mfg's bike; as well as the overwhelming winner of the "bang for buck" crown.

In the meantime, tho, lets not let the 'rah rah' get too out of hand and damage the boards' rep for integrity in the greater motorcycling world.

an ugly weld is still a bad weld, whether it holds or not.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
You're not kidding. I just did some damn ugly welding last weekend on the Rhino. I rely heavily on a grinder. That's what happens when a guy welds once every 5+ years....but it stuck! :-)

The upside is out of the 6 CB's I've had, I've not had a single weld fail regardlesss of appearance or the abuse I've put them through.

"A grinder and paint makes me the welder i ain't"

Old 04-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
c'mon you guys are killing me here. look at the welds on that frame as well.

Look , here's the deal. csc tells everyone they are going to get the boat special and save like 500.oo or so by putting down a thou cash some what?6,7,8 months in advance.? then we got people on this board and else where (csc blogs/vids etc} extolling the awesome attention to detail of zong et al and the extreme quality control etc etc etc.
now it turns out the savings are really less than a hundred bucks, and we see welds like that.

just to let you know, when my bro and i went down to look at our first hawk in person, the very first words out of his mouth were " DAMNED, look at those welds!!!" having both had previous china bikes as well as jap, brit, american, italian, german, and even russian, czech, spanish and korean bikes, we were both shocked by the immaculate quality of the hawk welds, clearly equal to anyone's, at least on that hawk. the decision to purchase was instant , in fact having got the one, changed the pegs and gearing and ridden the hell out of it , we liked it so much we got another and are pleased as punch with both.

nonetheless, seeing csc going all out for the top enduro type bike with the upgrades etc., going the extra mile with the classy service videos etc.,and the zong afficianatos ' steady quality mantra, i finally succumbed, joined the herd, and reserved one myself.

In a few weeks , i will see for myself if the tt250 is worth the extra dough for those of us outside the peoples republic of california and its 60's remnant planet ,protecting "hey, this 15.00 min wage doesn't make any sense, but i'll sign it anyway" governor .(i met him back in the 'hazy' days of his youth, could tell u stories...}.

now granted, the tt250 photos we have are off one -prototype demo only and having read a bit about the zong's chairman, owner, big dog whatever's personal push to move the chinese bike industry to the next level, i remain hopeful the bikes we get, especially my fast red one , will represent the epitome of the chinese dual sport/trail genre and a worthy competitor to any mfg's bike; as well as the overwhelming winner of the "bang for buck" crown.

In the meantime, tho, lets not let the 'rah rah' get too out of hand and damage the boards' rep for integrity in the greater motorcycling world.

an ugly weld is still a bad weld, whether it holds or not.
Hey now, just because some of us live here doesn't mean we agree with everything the Clowns under the Dome do. All we can do its vote but So Cal and the Bay Area have the dense populations and the money to swing the results for everyone. Here's to the Great State of Jefferson!!! CA has its good and bad just like anywhere else. I'll take the weather, topography, being a two hour drive from anything and quality riding. I sure would hate to take away from everyone who has fun with our fine state. After all, I couldn't tell you a thing about probably 45 other states of the Great Union...and don't really care much either....but everyone has an opinion about us. Goes with the territory, I spose.

Regarding the welding, I think one needs to keep in mind that yes, it's a prototype we're seeing BUT, I'm sure the looks of the welds will vary from bike to bike with mass production. After all, it is an 1850.00 CB, not a 5200.00 Honda. I'd imagine the Hawk you have is one of the ones that happened to be the recipient of some quality, "after lunch on a Tuesday" welding, if that be the case. As you say, time will tell....and I just want the dang thing in my garage!
New toy....new toy....new toy.....ooooooooooooooooo shiny!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #442

don't get me wrong. spent a lot of my youth and education time in california., in fact they even drafted me there lol!!! I was right in the middle of the "big" e-quake, the UCLA riot, the Watts riots, and was sitting having dinner w the head of Disney while he drafted the players for the first Duck's team. Even played 3rd base in an Angels publicity/charity game w travolta, abe vigota, and hefner's Playboy Playmates (a true 'kodak" moment-sang for and met Reagan, Sinatra, Hope, fell in the pool at a "der Bingles " formal party(spent the night mingling in a soaked tux), drank scotch w Dino( that really was alcohol in his glass on his tv show). even had dinner and wine(he had his own private label) w Nixon.

ok, gotta stop!

{this is what happens when you get old and fall into reminiscing

point being, i've been to california.
love the climate, the people, the craziness, the governor not so much lol.

however, the politics DO generally suck.

Dana Point is perhaps one of the finest areas to live on this planet.
surfing/ocean fishing in the morning, sand dune desert mc /jeep scrambling by noon, skiing at big bear late afternoon, dinner w Natalie Wood and Wagner at La Scala on Rodeo Drive at 9:00pm. one of the best day's in my life,,, so far lol.

but now they've closed off most of the desert, obscene fees for everything, and regulation, regulation, regulation. If they can't regulate your life,prevent you from doing something you really want to do unless they 'allow' it, and take your money for redistribution, cal's politicians are never happy:(

nice place to visit, but i never want to live there again. Hard now to find a square yard of open ground amidst the concrete, in OC where i used to live.:(
and 2lz, i'm like a kid before christmas waiting for my new toy , too!
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #443

Quote:
...just to let you know, when my bro and i went down to look at our first hawk in person, the very first words out of his mouth were " DAMNED, look at those welds!!!" having both had previous china bikes as well as jap, brit, american, italian, german, and even russian, czech, spanish and korean bikes, we were both shocked by the immaculate quality of the hawk welds, clearly equal to anyone's, at least on that hawk. the decision to purchase was instant , in fact having got the one, changed the pegs and gearing and ridden the hell out of it , we liked it so much we got another and are pleased as punch with both...
Please post some photos of the beautiful welds on your Hawk motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #444

Quote:
don't get me wrong. spent a lot of my youth and education time in california., in fact they even drafted me there lol!!! I was right in the middle of the "big" e-quake, the UCLA riot, the Watts riots, and was sitting having dinner w the head of Disney while he drafted the players for the first Duck's team. Even played 3rd base in an Angels publicity/charity game w travolta, abe vigota, and hefner's Playboy Playmates (a true 'kodak" moment-sang for and met Reagan, Sinatra, Hope, fell in the pool at a "der Bingles " formal party(spent the night mingling in a soaked tux), drank scotch w Dino( that really was alcohol in his glass on his tv show). even had dinner and wine(he had his own private label) w Nixon...
I remember all the people you mentioned, but don't think I was old enough to hang out with them. How young are you, Seer?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #445

Quote:
nice place to visit, but i never want to live there again. Hard now to find a square yard of open ground amidst the concrete, in OC where i used to live.:(
and 2lz, i'm like a kid before christmas waiting for my new toy , too!
It's not near as bad up in Nor Cal as what's happened to So Cal but I know what you mean. My "small town" of Loomis I grew up in with one stoplight is now a metropolis. Could you imagine the outrage trying to film "On Any Sunday" now?
Anyway, as long as this is still my view from my dining room and the tax rate is still only 7.5%, and my county doesn't smog vehicles due to lack of population, I'm-a-stayin'! ;-)

Back to the bikes,.... One of the things I'm really looking forward to with the TT250 is, for the first time in my CB career, there will actually be a place to call or email that actually has a real parts stock and replacement stuff...just like walking into Honda or Suzuki. Feel almost spoiled!...and that's not counting all the Hondoid parts now readily available on Amazon and other major sites! Pretty soon, these won't be so much of a secret anymore....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 12-31-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I remember all the people you mentioned, but don't think I was old enough to hang out with them. How young are you, Seer?
Well, concidering that most of who he mentioned is deceased....I'm afraid to ask! LOL! First time in a while I felt young!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #447

Yep i am oooold now & spud i gotta remember how to do that (posting the pics) i know i did it back in 09 or 10 here so, I must still be capable, I'll get you the pics.

and yeah, so many are dead now:(, everyone has their time coming but let me tell you something, a couple of years ago I spent some time in a serious VA rehab hospital. was not my best moment, and while i was at the height of feeling sorry for myself, some of the young guys from irag and afghanistan were brought in. one kid in particular had been blown up in an IED incident, not many limbs left. after a few days i asked him how he could laugh and joke around w the other vets there and he smiled and told me the same thing i once heard from someone online and had forgotten.

he said he had a "new attitude", and a new plan for life- what he said was:

""My new plan is to live forever!, So Far, So Good!!!!"

made me smile again too

some of those damned marines are tough SOB's!!!!

Old 04-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #448

Thumbs Up

2LZ, that is surely a view into heaven

Old 04-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #449

Doh!

Hey folks,
I called CSC and asked if the expected timeline for the TT250 has changed and the gentleman on the phone let me know that they are expecting the bikes to arrive on US soil in the last week of April.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDualRider View Post
Hey folks,
I called CSC and asked if the expected timeline for the TT250 has changed and the gentleman on the phone let me know that they are expecting the bikes to arrive on US soil in the last week of April.
As much as I can't wait to get my hands on it, that's fine with me. I just had to cut two mammoth checks to both Uncle Sam and Uncle Jerry for Tax Vacuuming Season. A little recovery time will do me well! ;-)

I'm sure CSC wants their $$$ too so it's a bummer on both ends really. The longer the boat takes to land, the longer they have accounts receivable sitting dead on the books.

2009 Q Link XP 200