Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #481

Oh man!!!! Heck yes ARH please show us some pics. I for one would love it. I was born in 70' and got into racing in the late 70s and especially the 80s. I love to see footage from that era just because we have progressed so far since then. Anything before that would just be icing on the cake so I for one would be very interested in any pics you'd be willing to share with us

Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboyk View Post
Ok ARH I'm not calling you out but you have provided your so many years of experience to all of us,I as well as Im sure most of us would love to see some of your pics of you the bikes back in the day,and they may not say it but that would be great.Just an idea.To me it would be inspiration ,I'm 38 I was born in 78,have a 78 vette,a 67 lincoln continental and people their interest got me wanting to preserve history ,your old bikes the pics could inspire me or anyone else to go out find one and make it perfect again.Once again just a thought.
As far as pictures go, I can't provide any. 10 years ago some vandals set fire to my house trailer at 11:45 PM on New Years Eve. I lost everything in that fire. A lifetimes collection of film negatives, the cameras I took the pictures with, My 100 year old cornet, 100's of sheets of music, etc, etc.....ARH

Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
As far as pictures go, I can't provide any. 10 years ago some vandals set fire to my house trailer at 11:45 PM on New Years Eve. I lost everything in that fire. A lifetimes collection of film negatives, the cameras I took the pictures with, My 100 year old cornet, 100's of sheets of music, etc, etc.....ARH
ARH so sorry to hear that,and sorry for your loss.It would be bad enough to loose everything due to an accident ,faulty wiring ,lightning,but someone deliberately doing it is awful.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #484

ok guys may be off subject but bike was running fine new carb stock exhaust gutted, air box mod,120 main and whatever pilot jet that came with the carb,needle in the middle position,now everything was fine until i put the k&n air filter in then it dies off mid to full throttle,bigger main jet is what im thinking am i wrong any suggestions

Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #485

Did they just make the 350 and 500?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post

That's what I call back ground music to my ears.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #487

Quote:

No, they also made the Square Four 1000 cc. Prewar they also made a 250 Red Hunter, but they didn't bring that one back after the war. In 1948 they added the Huntsman, a 500cc twin. That year they introduced their own version of the telescopic fork, and, as an option, Antsey Link rear suspension. Mine was a 1949 model 350 Red Hunter. The controls you are not used to seeing are ignition advance and retard along with the compression release on the left handle bar. The big black disc in the center is the control for the steering damper, and the "Strangler" (choke) on the right handlebar. Note the lack of vibration, which you can see in the movie. It was so well made, and the parts worked in a harmonious whole that was unusual in any bike both then and now. It was a very pleasant way to go for a fun ride, if you knew how to work with it. After seeing this, maybe you can understand why this is the machine I wish I still had?...ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 03-09-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: A miss spell

Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #488

Like that one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ariel-1949-VH-d-2.jpg (87.2 KB, 405 views)

Old 03-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #489

Quote:
Like that one?
Yes, just like that except it had the Antsey Link rear suspension. Boy, you guys are bringing back a lot of good memories. Thanks to you all!!! ARH

Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #490

Quote:
ok guys may be off subject but bike was running fine new carb stock exhaust gutted, air box mod,120 main and whatever pilot jet that came with the carb,needle in the middle position,now everything was fine until i put the k&n air filter in then it dies off mid to full throttle,bigger main jet is what im thinking am i wrong any suggestions
The short answer is yes, the main jet is too lean....ARH

Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #491

Quote:
Yes, just like that except it had the Antsey Link rear suspension. Boy, you guys are bringing back a lot of good memories. Thanks to you all!!! ARH
So I looked up that suspension and found a picture that was credited to a website.

http://www.arielnorthamerica.org/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anstey.jpg (20.5 KB, 329 views)

Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #492

Quote:
The short answer is yes, the main jet is too lean....ARH
Thank you ARH (akh THE MAN) I will tomorrow first thing see what the next size up main jet i have ,kinda thinking 122 or 122.5 cant remember.I'll let you know the outcome,although as i'm sure your experiencing this cold weather as well I'll have to bundle up tomorrow.Once again thank you

Old 03-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #493

Quote:
Thank you ARH (akh THE MAN) I will tomorrow first thing see what the next size up main jet i have ,kinda thinking 122 or 122.5 cant remember.I'll let you know the outcome,although as i'm sure your experiencing this cold weather as well I'll have to bundle up tomorrow.Once again thank you
Yeah! Below zero here this morning....ARH

Old 03-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #494

Quote:
So I looked up that suspension and found a picture that was credited to a website.

http://www.arielnorthamerica.org/
Yes, that's it. Note that it has no shock absorber. Friction and a "Check spring" did the trick. Also it added about 3/4 of an inch wheel travel. Instead of only 2 1/2 inches it upped it to 3 1/4 inches. It worked very well. But got replaced, in time, by a swing arm rear suspension with two spring/shocks which gave about 4 inches of travel. And hydraulic control, which was better. When you warch the videos of guys riding their very old Ariels, they are not riding them the way we did back in the day. They ride them like a modern bike. The reason for my comment is that the modern riders don't use the kinetic energy stored up in the flywheels like we would. We would go in slower, than get the engine "working", building up kinetic energy in those heavy flywheels about 1/3rd of the way into the turn. Then keep feeding in the power through the halfway point, and be wide open at the 3/4 point in the corner. This gave you a great shot down the next straight. You can't do that, really, with a Hawk, because they have light flywheels. More like a two-stroke. Different horses for different courses!...ARH

Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #495

Bore and Stroke

mjstef brought up the subject of a 70mm cylinder kit for the Hawk, and others that run that 229cc engine. This would be a good way to get more torque and horsepower out of that engine. IF. If it will require no machining of the crank case bore to fit the cylinder. IF the cylinder hold down studs don't have to be moved out a little to clear the bore. IF the oil passages will still line up. Still, 67 to 70 mm bore is not a lot, only 1 1/2mm per side of the bore. None of these are big problems, but if you don't have the equipment or skills to do this, it could be expensive. If the bore is too tight to enlarge that much (70mm), it may be possible with a combination of the biggest bore that will fit the cases with no modifications, and a slightly longer stroke crank throw, doable by someone coming up with a stepped crankpin. Powerell used to do these stepped crankpins for small Honda motors back in the day, and while in theory it is not the good way to stroke an engine, I never heard of one of Powerell's stepped crankpins causing a blow up....ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 03-15-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Add information