Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Took it for a ride

Old 10-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #2

My conclusion on the USB charger upgrade what is best what sucked etc.

Old version (Green box 4 pin) USB charged at maybe 0.5 amps and if using a IPhone drains the battery and won't charge while in use CRAP.

New Version 2 pin USB charges at 1 Amp and not bad untested while fully in use but I am 99% sure will charge and be fine while using phone.

i bought a 3 amp module rigged it wired it to click in place of the green box on the old version - SHIT and charged only just above 0.50 Amps at best and barely would charge while in use (I have it fitted n will test more but the quality of these cheap things are trouble I think)

Conclusion IMO use the stock new version USB and I can make a small loom to plug and play.

Or car charger in the Car lighter socket I had the best charge rate at 1.95 Amps but its ugly looking but yeah it works

Stock new version seems best looks best and can be fitted easily, I also fitted the Volt meter as I made a new loom and found all the correct connectors needed to mod or make any combination work plug n play.

Bike running
Name:  Voltmeter on.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  86.2 KB

Bike on engine not running
Name:  Volt meter.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  89.4 KB

Testing USB polarity and function with a cheap LED so I don't wreck my IPhone
Name:  USB Test.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  80.3 KB

Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

I put a speedo corrector on it. Mine seems to be about 9-9.5% off.

And removed an ugly old USFS sticker from the top box. The adhesive on those is just slightly stronger than the glue on the Space Shuttle tiles.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I put a speedo corrector on it. Mine seems to be about 9-9.5% off.

And removed an ugly old USFS sticker from the top box. The adhesive on those is just slightly stronger than the glue on the Space Shuttle tiles.
What did you do to correct the speedo?
I thought seeing you have the 19 inch wheel that was enough of a correction?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

I used the commonly-recommended SpeedoDRD U1. I'm not aware of any other way to do it. There was a tutorial here that showed a heck of a lot of work, and I didn't understand why, so I started by popping off the windscreen to see how the wires run. Easy. I took off the headlight for easier access, peeled back the wire protector, and cut the wires 2" from the plug behind the speedo. Used the provided connectors to hook it all up, bolted it all back together, and started with a setting of 11.1%. After a I couple test rides I ended up at 9.2% comparing the speed to a GPS app on my phone. I've only been to about 25 in my neighborhood though, and it might need more tuning when I get to higher speeds which would show an error more clearly.

I tied the device to the subframe behind the headlight so I can reach in and program it without removing anything at all.

Maybe the 11% I've seen others mention is with the 18" wheel?

Old 10-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #6

All else being equal, changing from 18 to 19 is only 5.5% increase in real speed vs. indicated speed. Most folks I see going to 19 on the front are also changing over to more aggressively treaded tires for off road. That type tire is a bit taller than stock, so might add another percent or portion thereof, all else being equal. Some folks are fitting tires with 100% aspect ratios so that can add a bit more actual to a speed indication, maybe 2 to 2.5mph at 50mph.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Yesterday I did my first ride at sustained highway speeds, and now the speedo reads about 1-1.5 MPH low. So I'll do another adjustment down to 8.1%.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #8

Hello friends, tomorrow I will send my seat to an upholster and will modify it to have more cushion and to avoid the seat as it is now to keep pushing me to the front.
This is causing discomfort and also my feet are not well aligned to the pegs.
I will send pics once it is done.
The price will be $17.50.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanca View Post
Hello friends, tomorrow I will send my seat to an upholster and will modify it to have more cushion and to avoid the seat as it is now to keep pushing me to the front.
This is causing discomfort and also my feet are not well aligned to the pegs.
I will send pics once it is done.
The price will be $17.50.
Wow, I like the look of that big flat butt place. Sitting in the stock wedge sucks. Sounds from your post above you have the same problem with the stock seat as me--being forced forward isn't a smashing good thing. Apologies for the pun, but that's about as nice as I can describe the torture. Also, with just a few centimeters of comfortable forward and backward movement and three sets of foot pegs the angles of my hips and knees can be varied quite a bit, allowing significantly longer periods between stops because so much less pain. Growing old makes all the old injuries hurt.

What would shipping be there and back to US of A? Would you be willing for me to send you my seat, have it done like yours, then ship it back? How much would you charge for the bother assuming you can get another done for $17.50? You should at least get a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario to relax after pleasant rides on your new seat, no?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Wow, I like the look of that big flat butt place. Sitting in the stock wedge sucks. Sounds from your post above you have the same problem with the stock seat as me--being forced forward isn't a smashing good thing. Apologies for the pun, but that's about as nice as I can describe the torture. Also, with just a few centimeters of comfortable forward and backward movement and three sets of foot pegs the angles of my hips and knees can be varied quite a bit, allowing significantly longer periods between stops because so much less pain. Growing old makes all the old injuries hurt.

What would shipping be there and back to US of A? Would you be willing for me to send you my seat, have it done like yours, then ship it back? How much would you charge for the bother assuming you can get another done for $17.50? You should at least get a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario to relax after pleasant rides on your new seat, no?
Hello Sqwert

For me handing this to the guy to make it just like mine will be no issue, the issue here will be the importing and exporting of the seat.
First, we no longer have a postal service, so it has to come and go via courier ( fedex, dhl or UPS ), they charge almosy $ 50.00 US, each way, plus there is a lot of documents to fill, that will make it a hassle.
At the endo you will be end up paying almost $ 150.00, so I don't think it's worth it.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

It's paid for

well after three years the mighty Zong is paid for, made the last payment today. I would like to thank the people at CSC for making my purchase quick and easy. I don't make a whole lot of money and would never have been able to buy any other bike new, and it turned out to be three trouble free years. The zong only let me down once after my first valve adjustment kinked a fuel line putting tank back on and it stalled after about two tenths of a mile. Still haven't figured out how the fuel filter goes on that tang under the tank without kinking the lines. It was everything i thought it would be and more love my Zong it is sleeping now because it is getting real close to ripping on the 800 zuke my true passion are sleds

Old 10-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #12

So finnaly seat is done.
I took pictures before and after, you can see the after looks bulky, maybe not the best but God is so soft and comfortable now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181027_082331.jpg (86.2 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20181027-WA0050.jpg (54.7 KB, 274 views)

Old 10-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #13

I installed a phone dock, and rotated the controls forward/down. Had to remove the locator pins to be able to do that, they are useless anyway. Also had to loosen and turn the brake hose, which was ridiculously tight. While I was in there I lubed the cables and throttle area, and tried to clean my turn signal switch. It's very hard/unreliable to cancel. That actually made it worse in some ways. Or just differently unreliable. Is there any adjustment or anything else to try before I just order a new control box?

Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #14

I installed a 13-tooth sprocket, and "tuned up" the kickstand while I was replacing its spring. It was bent enough to make it very loose. I tightened it up in a vise, cleaned everything, and put dry lube on it instead of the dirty grease that was on there.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #15

Last night I started the process of swapping out the left-side multi-switch (turn, high beam, etc). What a pain in the butt. The connector is under the tank. So it's installed, and today I need to bolt the bike back together. While I was in there I did the coolant overflow tank swap (great deal on that from Tako), and installed a new clutch lever perch because mine was worn enough for the lever to be really sloppy. I guess I should go ahead and do the fuel sensor level tweak, because mine starts to flash when it's still got two gallons in it. And I just realized that I should put in a new 12v to USB converter so the phone will actually charge while running nav, rather than just kind of hold where it is. Hope I still have one laying around.