Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #46

Gun Control in America. The way it was, and should always be:

Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #47

Adolph Hitler loved gun control; so did an amazing number of tyrants during the 20th Century. Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership has produced the DVD, Innocents Betrayed; it is a very thought-provoking video.

http://www.innocentsbetrayed.com/
http://www.jpfo.org/

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #48

I'm a JPFO memder myself, Spud. I was pleased to see you've heard of the organization.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #49

I think a great deal of the difference in the 2 cultures with respect to firearms (US and Canada) goes back to the vastly different circumstances under which each country was formed. The US fight for independence was just that - a fight, more often than not by citizen soldiers. Canadian independence (if you can call it that - we're a Constitutional Monarchy) was an act of Parliament, sanctioned by Britain - completely bloodless. I dare say our 'bloodless' emergence as a nation is not in small part due to the fact that Britain didn't want another war in North America.

The right to bear arms is not ingrained in the Canadian consciousness (or Constitution for that matter) - we've never felt the need.

For the record, I have a PAL and I'm a former (very, very briefly) member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Talk of the 'evils of hunting ' by anyone who consumes meat it at best disingenuous. So it's OK for a cow to be slaughtered but hunting deer is wrong?

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
I think a great deal of the difference in the 2 cultures with respect to firearms (US and Canada) goes back to the vastly different circumstances under which each country was formed. The US fight for independence was just that - a fight, more often than not by citizen soldiers. Canadian independence (if you can call it that - we're a Constitutional Monarchy) was an act of Parliament, sanctioned by Britain - completely bloodless. I dare say our 'bloodless' emergence as a nation is not in small part due to the fact that Britain didn't want another war in North America.

The right to bear arms is not ingrained in the Canadian consciousness (or Constitution for that matter) - we've never felt the need.

For the record, I have a PAL and I'm a former (very, very briefly) member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Talk of the 'evils of hunting ' by anyone who consumes meat it at best disingenuous. So it's OK for a cow to be slaughtered but hunting deer is wrong?
I agree. If anyone wants to beat up a person for hunting they had damn well better be a vegan if they want to have ANY credibility.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #51

I think it depends on the reason for hunting, hunting for food, versus hunting for sport. Though I've never really looked into either one. I don't have much of an opinion on hunting, my opinion on guns is towards guns in urban settings or designed to shoot people.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #52

My rantings started based on the 'gun' itself, and I can't honestly say I think some guns should be okay, and others not. So, sorry hunters, you don't get them either.

My point should be noted, that I don't feel there's a NEED for most to hunt anymore. It's a WANT, out of enjoyment. It's legalizing the need for an instrument that is used far too often in our society to take life of innocent human beings. That is my problem. That's not saying that everyone who hunts ends up killing people, or is an evil person. The issue is some HAVE, and the only way to stop that is to not give them guns. Yes, again, it's the deeds of a few that ruin it for all, but isn't that the way most things in our society works?

Don't give me the 'guns don't kill people' nonsense, because they do. People put them in their hands and shoot other people with them, and if not for that gun in their hand, they probably don't succeed in killing another person.

I purposely went off on rants just to stir the pot on this issue. I'm actually a laid back person with most things, but I get a little tired of hearing about people getting shot and killed.

..and I also know it will NEVER happen, that guns will be banned and not created, us humans like to kill things and each other far too much for that to happen. It makes money.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #53

If someone goes crazy enough to kill another person, they would try and do it whether they had access to a gun or not. If they didn't have a gun it would be a baseball bat, golf club, knife, crowbar, etc. Whatever they can get thier hands on at that moment.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #54

Easier to outrun a swinging bat then a flying bullet though, I bet.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #55

That would be the lesson learned by anyone who tries to attack me with a bat. 8)

Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #56

it is a difference of mentality between the two countries. i will say this most of the gun crimes happen in places where the guns are illegal, so the laws that outlaw the guns do nothing. it has to be the people unless im mistaken the cities of washington, new york and la have the strictest laws in our country for guns and the highest crime rates but somebody can prove that wrong. as for the constitution giving us rights to own our hunting guns from what i understand it does not 8O now my next statement is MY thinking and controversial, it does give me the right to own a a assault rifle or handgun for the sole purpose of defending my life and liberty, that could be from a intruder in my home or a tyrant government and with a little research on the writers and reasons for the second amendment you just might agree. spud said that hitler was for gun control and what i have read that is the first step to a dictatorship is to unarm the masses, and history is full of instances that it works that way. it's sad but its a fact as long as people are capable of being persuaded to follow blindly the direction of tyrants and evil people there will be a need for revolution. the same goes for those who put their desires above the lives of their fellow man, lets just hope for a time when all guns will be used for hunting and target practice.
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #57

I agree with most of what Phil said. He used the term Assault Rifle. I am 57 years old, and I have never known anyone who had or used an Assault Rifle. No law abiding citizen has ever had one ever! That term should be reserved for someone who is launching an assault with a rifle. My guns are all peaceful guns, and will always be peaceful guns. I am a highly trained expert with several guns. I know when I would use one on a person and when I would not. If my life is not in danger I will run as fast as I can when someone threatens me. But the second someone pulls a gun in a threatening manner I will shoot him or her. Some of you can't bear this blunt comment, but it is them or me.

Turbo T said " us humans like to kill things and each other far too much for that to happen." This was a reference to eliminating guns. I have never met anyone who liked or wanted to kill a person. A few do, but it is not most humans.

Guns are serious tools, I believe in the right to bear arms, but I have no tolerance for criminals who use them in any criminal activity. In my world, if someone commits a crime with a gun, I don't care how hard the punishment is, but it should be harsh.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld

Turbo T said " us humans like to kill things and each other far too much for that to happen." This was a reference to eliminating guns. I have never met anyone who liked or wanted to kill a person. A few do, but it is not most humans.
Mate I really wish I was wrong on that statement. All one needs to do is look at our history of a race, to know we're far too quick to kill one another. Whether it's on the street, in our homes, or sold to us as necessary WAR against the evil enemy of the decade.

We kill our planet, the animals on it, and each other more than any other living thing on this earth for senseless reasons like his religion is different, his skin is a different color, he doesn't think like me. We kill animals because we want their gall bladders, their penis, their head on the wall because it'll be cool to say how tough I was shooting it to my friends when they come over.

We think up evil ways to do it.. bombs, landmines, guns, arrows, knives, grenades. People get rich creatings companies that create more ways to kill.

You know I'm not blaming you for this, or my neighbour, or Phil or FastDoc or anyone else here who owns a gun and feels he needs and wants to. I know you're doing the same as I, living your life and trying to do the best for your family...but as a collective history of a race, we've killed and conquered excessively, and we continue to do so.

I don't want this to be taken out of context. It's a general world view and not aimed at any one person. I'm human as well, and like to think that most people in the world are good, but billions dead at the hands of other humans in the history of our race doesn't lie.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #59

I have served in the US military, and I would say that most military action in history was wrong and misdirected. I believe the US did the right thing in WW2 and in the Kuwait war. But since WW2 every other major action was the wrong thing to do.

I believe in defense not offense, and I agree with some of what you said in this last post. And I agree that there is a great deal of money made by some in building and maintaining the war machine.