Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #46

I'm sure a bike shop would stock them, maybe even Walmart. I'm sure you can get them on line too. It would be nice to be flatproof, forever.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #47

I know that Tubliss makes them for dirt bikes, but I'm not sure where to get them for bicycle wheels.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #48

Your Zong looks great, Jak! You got a very good deal.

Thank you for taking the time to document your trailer construction with photographs. I am impressed with your creativity.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #49

I think that I have seen them at walmart. Otherwise I am sure the bike shop in Brainerd will get you a set.

Allen

Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #50

I will definitely check out the flat proof tubes. That would ease the one concern that I had, which was a blow out using bicycle tires, even though I got the best tires I could. Being flat proof would be great.

Regarding the build, I had to postpone things while I did some other stuff. Even though I am semi-retired, paying for all these toys sometimes require I do actual work. So I had to take a couple of days and attend to making some money.

But I was able to get in a few hours last night and finished the top and back rails and brace the front and sides. I also made a trailer tongue and ended up having to add more bracing for that as well. Then I finished the trailer side of the hitch coupling. The next step, which I will try to complete this evening, will be to install the sides and the bottom (corplast?) and make some interior fenders. After that it will be time to bring in the bike and make a hitch, but for now I am glad to be nearing completion for the trailer. It now looks like this:

The photo below shows the detail on the hitch coupling. I made a U out of 1 1/2 steel which bolted to the end of my aluminum angle tongue. The U ended up longer than I planned, but I decided to leave it the way it is until after I do some testing. I will eventually do something to clean up the looks - just doesn't appear tidy enough to suit me.

Next I put a 5/8 high grade bolt through the center of it and ground the threads off the lower part of the bolt. The U piece can move up and down slightly and the center bolt rotates easily, which in addition to the flexibility of the steering yoke should allow the trailer to move around a lot without binding on the bike.

The thread-less end of the centered bolt was a tight fit and driven into the steering yoke or U-joint that I got from a golf cart. Then it is clamped to the bolt end. The opposite end will attach to a similar affair I need to make for the bike hitch. There will be a similar bolt/pin on that side, but it will attach to the steering yoke with a pin for a quick disconnect arrangement.

That's it for now

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #51

I like your u-joint idea. I'm wondering if the U-shaped piece will have a tndency to loosen the two bolts that secure it. Can you slide it back further and use four bolts?

In addition to clamping the bolt to the u-joint, can you drill a hole through it and pin it? Just an extra measure of safety.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #52

I also like the U-Joint. Excellent workmanship. It does look overbuilt. I can't imagine that thing breaking, and it looks like you can use it to haul much more than the Zong's weight, not that I'm suggesting that. Maybe you could weigh it when you're done? I'm curious.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #53

The trailer is looking great, Jak! Once again, thanks for starting a wonderful thread, and thanks for documenting your creative efforts with all the great photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #54

I found that a sharp utility knife cuts the corplast with ease too. When I cut it I just get a straight edge and a knife. Works great. No dust.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #55

My trailer hook up is simple but works well.

I have multiple parts of the coupler that attaches to the bikes so I can easily move the trailer from one bike to the other.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #56

Vince, there is a vertical joint at the axle and a horizontal joint a few inches away? It's hard to tell what's behind the safety strap.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #57

W&G,
My trailer is in NC and the best photo I have is

which just shows how tight it will turn.
Just behind the coupler is large spring which connects the two tubes.

Photo from
http://www.aosom.com/index.php?main_...products_id=46

Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #58

That's brilliant! The spring controls articulation on the horizontal plane, and I'm guessing that it helps to "right" the trailer after a turn. I'll bet it corners very well.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's brilliant! The spring controls articulation on the horizontal plane, and I'm guessing that it helps to "right" the trailer after a turn. I'll bet it corners very well.
I had a picture of me running the Dragon with it behind my scooter chasing the Harleys but lost it. They finally pulled over and let me by. True story. Had it up to 65 MPH behind my XT225.

Use to pull a trailer behind my Goldwing and Pacific Coast when I did some serious touring and camping.

AOSOM rates that trailer at Max loading : 180lb

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #60

I might need one to pull behind my new scoot. Would be able to pick up more items from the store. Have a burley bike trailer that I may be able to make some quick mods too.

One question.

Has anyone given you any legality trouble over using one. No lights or tag?