Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #46

Both of my daughters are working from home. Both have one school age kid and one preschooler. Mrs. C and I have been splitting a gut hearing about the kids antics.

Youngest grandson interrupted his Moms video conference with her bosses to tell her that he peed on the floor and wanted to show her. Oldest granddaughter is serving an in-bedroom with no screens suspension for having a meltdown about doing school work when she isn't in school. Oldest grandson pretty much did the same thing but had to vacuum the carpet instead. Youngest granddaughter is insisting on all day tea parties with her Mom and her cat.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #47

Well no riding for me for a two weeks at least. The country is now on mandatory quarantine , since the "please stay at home" quarntine didn't work and a lot of morons went on vacations...

136 cases and 3 deaths, we are trying to stop it before we reach italy levels.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #48

Illannoy on lock down. Time to crack open that bottle of Glenlivet.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #49

NY is on lockdown as well, but joy of all joys, the company i work for supplies parts for agriculture, and we are deemed an essential business, ergo, i am still going to work every day...LOL

Old 03-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #50

I was supposed to head to Minnesnowta Monday to do a two hour repair on a machine. Don’t know if that’s happening now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #51

They told us to work from home again this week. I had no problem working 40 billable hours last week, but Im not so sure about this week.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #52

If the rate of infection doesn't slow measurably, the next logical step is a total lockdown for all but emergency and medical personnel. A few states have gone into total lockdown already. I think it is a good idea to go to the market and get some more canned goods.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #53

My sock puppets hit the fire. Those paranoid, insulting, bastards...........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #54

I just follow this guideline.

https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #55

Does anyone know of someone that has the virus or has died from it? I suspect trickery.

The same old tricks are the best ones because they are tried and true. Generating fear is easily introduced in our media saturated environment.

There have been many movies that tell the tale of plagues that mindlessly attack without mercy, turning soccer moms into zombies and the like. The news constantly promotes fear. The ability to induce instant nationwide media induced fear really started with a special psych test way back in 1938; Orson Well’s “War of the Worlds” radio broadcast.

Fake news was tried for the first time nationally as thinly disguised entertainment. There were several parts to this test where the competing broadcasting networks were in lockstep. A popular preceding program on a different network somehow ran over the normal time, so most national listeners had not tuned into hear the “War of the Worlds” disclaimer from the beginning, which stated that this is only a drama and not a real newscast, (like the audience was used to), then the show went into an emergency newscast just like the audience was used to.

As the audience listened, panic resulted, similar to the panic stirred up by news broadcasts these days.

The behavioral scientist Ivan Pavlov found that animals and humans could be conditioned so a programmed response would always happen whenever the condition stimulus was introduced. The news broadcasts were considered as truthful and generally serious. This was done over and over and then it was discovered that this media would cause a condition response of belief even with an outrageous story of a Mars invasion of Earth. In those days, space belief conditioning was not as widespread as today. The Wernher von Braun V2 rocket was just being developed and wasn’t launched until 1942. There was not much of a public notion of space invaders then although there were a few movies and fictional books, (but nothing nearly as prevalent as today) and yet a short fictitious news broadcast was totally believed as fact.

There were no CGI movies, laser light shows, no Godzilla plastic army tanks burning; they did it exclusively using conditioned response.

We have come a long way. I am unsure of the immediate reason for our current conditioning, the isolation part of this one does not gel with the idea of FEMA camps, however, it does promote an insidious belief in vaccines, which certainly will be rolling out shortly.
Crashing the stock market may be another way to show vulnerability and for those in the know, to make some extra money, but for the others, an excellent way to get financially screwed. Crashing also enforces a belief that government can do something to protect us even though their citizens must volunteer to drastically reduce basic freedoms. (Governments love to reduce freedom and increase their authority. That is what they do best.)

There is a possibility that this bio engineered disease is out there. I don’t know anyone who has it or has died as a result. This is antidotal, but the whole scenario comes off almost as low budget as Orson’s story and achieved a tremendous reaction like none of the other virus scares. Show some hospitals, people in a faraway lands suffering and then some American crisis actors to further the credibility (even though most are very poor actors). Then have the “in place” media, (which is unbiasedly owned by a couple of people), report any depressing things the teleprompter says, add a few graphics, a few more doctor looking actors and a nationwide shutdown could be pulled off at minimal cost.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #56

I know 2 people that were sick. They didn't go to the dr so we don't know what it was. They say it was like very mild flu. They were both sick for 4 days but only bad for 1. They were 1000 miles apart so they didn't get whatever it was in the same place. I'm just living normal.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #57

Bob, I'll come straight to my point as quickly as I can, then expand on the response. I work in a hospital. It's real. Full stop, end of story, it's out there, and it's a very real thing. Now for the details and breakdowns that I am so well known for.

1) Ramping up an entire hospital network (just our network mind you, not the rest of the systems that are also doing the exact same things we are) is a very expensive way to create panic. There have been increased medivac flights from our heli-pads, and an increase in isolation cases. These things cost a lot of money to do, and as a result only happen when truly necessary. We've been working to make sure we have the proper room setup for positive/negative pressure. We have had all elective surgeries cancelled or postponed. Because of my military background, I've been asked to liaise with the National Guard teams that are helping us out at the hospital. Our construction projects have all been put on hold and we're not allowing visitors, contractors or vendor into the hospital except when absolutely necessary and only after a very thorough medical examination. The precautions that are going in place are seriously no joke.
2) Having been within hearing distance of the isolation rooms, I can tell you that the persons inside are definitely not crisis actors. The gowning procedure to get into one of the rooms takes nearly five minutes. Our engineering teams have been told that unless there is an issue with a life-safety item in the room, they're not allowed in for any other maintenance. There is one doctor and two nurses who are permitted into the room for any and all patient care. The room is completely off limits to anyone else.
3) Because of the way cities and companies are responding, I doubt very seriously there's a 'Master Plan' in place to lock down some or all of the country. You're not seeing the military in place to enforce these lock downs, and even with the so-called lock downs in place there's still an incredible freedom of movement taking place. So far, the government (Local, State or Federal) hasn't so much as breathed a word about weapons and firearms confiscations, and there's not much panic-buying of weapons and ammo going on. You're more likely to find 9mm and shotgun ammo on the shelves than toilet paper and lysol spray.
4) The part that I agree with most in your post is that people are very easily controlled and manipulated. Let's face it, most of society are sheep that are just 'going along to get along' and don't think of the longer term consequences to standing up and speaking out, or are too scared to be socially ostracized by their peers. They haven't put in the effort to discovering uncomfortable truths, and are more than happy to be told comforting lies. Yes, any government anywhere tends to seek accumulation of power and control. However, all things reach a tipping point where the citizenry will rise up and either prefer to be completely annihilated by an overpowerful and overmilitarized government, or will be able to take back the government for the people. Personally, I think we have a very long way to go before that's an issue in this country. Possible, certainly, but still a very long way off.
5) The internet and news feeds (it's up to you to decide how much you want to trust the news) are still operating, and the information doesn't seem to be fragmented as it would be if there were some type of censorship going on. I'm more concerned about the senators who had a closed-door briefing about the possible societal dangers of Covid-19 walk out of that briefing and go sell a couple million dollars of stock before the market crashed for the rest of us. That's a big F'ing deal to me. My personal indignation aside, you're seeing news reports from around the world at the appropriate times for how a virus runs its course. What I mean by that is that it started in China, rolled through that part of the world, and now you're seeing more recoveries and fewer infections. The weeks that the story developed coincide with known infection, treatment and recovery rates. If a breakdown in society and general panic were the goals, you wouldn't see the good news coming out, only the bad.
6) Bottom line, take reasonable and responsible steps to protect yourself and your family (you don't need a closet full of toilet paper, I promise), and ride it out. If you stay on top of the math for infection/fatalities, the numbers don't lie. This thing has had about a 96% recovery rate right from the start, and over 85% of people that actually have it are completely asymptomatic. If you look at more current trendings, while the number of infections has gone up sharply, that's because we're doing more testing and are able to identify this more quickly. The rate of fatalities has stayed the same, I suspect it will fall once we develop targeted and very effective treatment guidelines. I think all the crazy news reports you're seeing is nothing more than clickbait and an ill-guided attempt to get eyes on stories for advertisers. So to wrap this all up, stay safe, wash your hands, have a cup of coffee and binge-watch something on Netfix. It's going to be ok. -E

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #58

Yes, emerikol said it better than myself. This isn't fake, and I do know people who are infected (and a friend's father-in-law has died, his mother-in-law is sick). It's real, spreading paranoia is even worse than the panic that the media generates.

The stock market wasn't crashed deliberately, no matter what Trump has said (though if you look at the records, it started crashing the more he opened up his mouth, so maybe he was crashing the market deliberately?); the market was and has been fragile, and was never sufficiently corrected from 2008-9. Markets are crashing globally, so it's not just against Trump, either.

Please, stop with the talk about crisis actors, if you think logically about most of these situations, there is no logic to assuming it is fake, and no evidence that isn't heavily contrived implying these "faked" events were actually faked, at least in the US. Even Russia wouldn't fake these sort of things, they'd just kill their own people, cf. the Beslan School siege and Putin's connections.

Also, vaccines are good, and beneficial to human resistance to diseases. If that wasn't the case, most of us, or our ancestors, would have died from Polio/Smallpox, which have now been effectively eradicated.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #59

On another forum, they were talking about using our scoots or small motorcycles for deliveries to offset lost income from the virus. With restaurants forbidden to open their dining rooms (in Texas), they need to sell a lot of takeout orders to stay in business.
-Even if you have a drive through, long lines are hurting sales.
-Cargo racks are available from many vendors and Amazon sells the thermal delivery bags to keep the meals warm.
-A standard cargo rack isn't big enough to carry a pizza, but you can make a wider base for it with PVC pipe. I made one a few years back so I could carry 'zas on my bicycle.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #60

Great post Emerikol, and the only thing I don't agree with is the panic buying of weapons and ammunition. Trust me it's happening. Friday I went with my buddy Chris to purchase a 9mm because he felt he needed a handgun to protect his home and family. So we went to Whitlache's in Newlex to get one.

The shelves were bare (and mind you this place usually has about 200 arms on display). There were 6 handguns left and 1 shotgun in the entire store. So Chris bought the cheapest Springfield 9mm they had left and asked for 2 boxes of shells, no you're only allowed 1 box per customer we were told. He sent his wife back later to purchase another box of shells and by that time they were out of the good brands.

They did still have bows and crossbows left, but even that inventory was diminished. Afterwards we went looking for toilet paper, checked 4 stores and there wasn't a single roll. So we grabbed some paper towels instead.

I live out in the sticks on a farm with a large creek running through it, and have enough livestock to feed us a basic diet of chicken, eggs and beef for many months and we're putting in huge garden as usual, and have hurricane lanterns and plenty of oil. The chickens and ducks put out more than a dozen eggs a day and if things get really bad we can butcher some beef.

We're also considering getting back into the rabbit business again, they reproduce faster than you can eat them and can survive on grass and water. If push comes to shove we've got 6 horses to eat as well. And within walking distance of a river and got plenty of fishing poles.

I also am well stocked when it comes to guns and ammo, and no, I'm not a "prepper", this is just how you live in southeastern Ohio. Not to mention cousin Jay has been trained his entire life how to survive and live off the land, his father Larry made sure of that and Jay's boy Cash is being taught the same.

~ And a country boy can survive ~
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400