Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #46

I never had a chance to tweak it tonight. Going to run it a bit more first and see how it does... Already runs way better than the stocker though! Fit and finish is very good too, the Mik looks like a quality piece. I will have to open the old one up some day and try to figure out why it was flooding so bad. When it wasn't bogging and stalling it ran well . Wonder if Mikuni puts the paint marks on the screws so you can count the turns? Clever if so!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #47

Oops! PCD mentioned using the colored dots to count the turns... Sorry, long day, I missed that

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Oops! PCD mentioned using the colored dots to count the turns... Sorry, long day, I missed that

Regards,
Stew
Heck, with so many posts lately i dont know whether Im coming or going. I will tell you that the little 3" slot screwdriver never leaves the bike anymore It also has an advertising logo on it that I use as reference because the little mark on the screw goes bye-bye if you go below flush.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #49

Got a chance to tweak the carb a bit last weekend, and though I haven't had a chance to take it out for a good rip it seems to run really well now. Ended up having the mixture screw out about 2 and a quarter turns I think, slide clip is in stock position. Haven't ran it for about a week and I just hit the choke and the starter and it fired right up! About -2 in the garage too, so I am impressed. With the stock carb it would have started and stalled right away countless times. I still think they should put the Mik on at the factory, like they do on the 250 dirt bike .

Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #50

Glad to hear its working well for you. There's been a ton of fantastic information kicked around in the atv forum lately, we could probably troube shoot just about anything now!
My Mikuni ended up about 3 turns out. Plug and resticter plate in the nuffler are a nice tan colour and it starts easy but if cold it wants choke, lots of it. At 0•c it needs a couple minutes on full then a couple on half, but you can ride it no problem on half choke.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:54 AM   #51

I think that T's air / fuel screw is about 2.5 turns out now, but we haven't tested it yet. It'll be interesting to see how it performs with the 22.5 pilot and the 110 main. Here's hoping for second gear wheelies!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think that T's air / fuel screw is about 2.5 turns out now, but we haven't tested it yet. It'll be interesting to see how it performs with the 22.5 pilot and the 110 main. Here's hoping for second gear wheelies!
That makes perfect sense. A lot of the Mikuni guides say that if you have to turn out as far as I am then its time to go up a jet size or two. I hate these guys (looking at you W&G) that do things PROPERLY for goodness sakes! What are they thinking!

No cheating on the wheelies either. You have to be in second already, not a first to second full throttle clutch dump sort of thing. I did that once and got sky in my face.
My wheelie video was not full throttle by the way. In first, if I yank it up and give it full throttle I think I can flip it.

I'm a little cautious though because I have an excellent memory for certain things...like climbing a 45 degree hill on the 3rd Honda Big Red sold in Ontario...in second gear....then bogging out and frantically hunting for first while hammering the throttle...then catching first and flippinig the bike over top of me...since I flipped slightly backwards, I would say it was like laying on your back and having a Honda Big Red dropped on you from 10ft up or so. Then the bike bounced off me and proceeded to roll down the hill, although since I had 4 broken ribs at the time I wasnt too worried about it.
On my back, in the dirt, staring at the sky, unable to move or breathe and 10 people on top of the hill laughing there asses off. Good times.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #53

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ghlight=mikuni

That was my result.
We made a breather out of 1 1/2" ABS, but haven't installed it yet. Installing a 105, and 110 main jet did nothing for power. We clocked it at 80km/hr top speed, but that was with it breaking up badly in top gear, top speed only. I am confident that (being at highest load/RPM) this is a rich condition, and fuel breakup. A leaner main jet may fix it, but it may not. This is a common with small single cylinder 4 strokes.
WD, we have had excellent luck with the Gio aftermarket CDI. We tested a number of their products, and this is one that I would recommend.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7983&high light=mikuni

That was my result.
We made a breather out of 1 1/2" ABS, but haven't installed it yet. Installing a 105, and 110 main jet did nothing for power. We clocked it at 80km/hr top speed, but that was with it breaking up badly in top gear, top speed only. I am confident that (being at highest load/RPM) this is a rich condition, and fuel breakup. A leaner main jet may fix it, but it may not. This is a common with small single cylinder 4 strokes.
WD, we have had excellent luck with the Gio aftermarket CDI. We tested a number of their products, and this is one that I would recommend.
Jeez, I dont know how I missed that dude. Thats pretty informative. Another Epic Fail on the search function for Pete, darn.

Weldangrind clued me in to one of those UNI filters. It has the correct neck diameter for the Mikuni and a 4" DOUBLE filter, coarse red foam on the outside and finer black foam underneath. They are meant to be seperated so you dont have to destroy it to clean or oil it.

I'm just dying to try it out but cant fit it due to my 19AH battery mod. I am currently using the angled intake hose supplied with the bike and a 125cc fake cone style breather. I have 1" between the back of the carb and the front of my battery box. Obviously I cut a rad in the front face of my box to accomodate the rubber 90 degree intake tube, but that wont cut it for the UNI filter.

My new battery cage is almost ready and when mounted I will do a little writeup. Its NOT going under the seat, I can tell you that much.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #55

Pete, maybe when you're done relocating the battery box and installing the Uni, you might like to install an ammo box where the battery once was. It would be very convenient as a small toolbox or a good place to store your camera and keys when you ride.

I mounted an old army surplus canvas walkie-talkie case to the fender of the Beast, and it easily holds my FRS radio or my camera. An ammo box is next.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Pete, maybe when you're done relocating the battery box and installing the Uni, you might like to install an ammo box where the battery once was. It would be very convenient as a small toolbox or a good place to store your camera and keys when you ride.

I mounted an old army surplus canvas walkie-talkie case to the fender of the Beast, and it easily holds my FRS radio or my camera. An ammo box is next.
My thoughts exactly. I'm making plans for that spot. A full size ammo box is too big (303, 30.06 or above). A .223 ammo box would fit, but I'm doing custom F/G and have a few surprises to show when I'm done....but battery comes first

Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #57

I'm amazed at all of the progress you make, despite your new avatar. It reminds me of a song (with apologies to Afroman): I was gonna fix my quad, but then I got high...

Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #58

Quote:
I'm amazed at all of the progress you make, despite your new avatar. It reminds me of a song (with apologies to Afroman): I was gonna fix my quad, but then I got high...
Thats my birthday, what else does it mean?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #59

Not knowing if you're kidding or not, I'll leave it between you and Google.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #60

Lol, I took the Beast out for a little honk tonight... Not sure if I had it fully warmed up or not (don't really think I did), it ran better but still not up to snuff. Bummer! So, I think I will be checking that intake for leaks and maybe cranking the mixture screw out another half or quarter turn. It's funny though, it will run really good, then start missing, farting, stalling... Definitely going to check the intake! Tis funny too, cause my sons 110 Mini-Beast, once warmed up runs flawlessly! Too bad my Beasty aint the same, but gives me something to play with I guess . Tendonitis in my wrist has flared up again, so I cant really take it out for a proper ride anyway. Supposed to be nice for a few days here so I will try to get some more wrenching done on it in the evenings... Though no mods for me, just trying to get it to run right!

Regards,
Stew