Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior91
Happens even in the finest AMERICAN and CANADIAN steel mills....It just might be more common in China as they buy scrap from all over the world for steel production... :roll:
It would have to be Canadian steel as I think most of our American steel mills are closed now .

I dont think it was brittle steel I think it was simple metal fatigue from the high mileage and poor design.(and probably a loose fitting engine)
I wonder when it actually broke, at mile mark? (we'll never know)

Since the engine completes the frame it is most definitely a factor in it breaking.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #47

it did hold up until they took out the engine right?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
I don't care if his bike went through a black hole and got brittle from crossing the gallaxy in the cold of space. :evil:
Dang... I take a cracked frame in exchange for a ride like that!
Man... to see the sunrise on Europa, to cruise the dustlanes of Andromeda... flattracking on the rings of Saturn.. burnouts on the moon, FTW! all on a China bike!!

In all seriousness, I'd like to see that frame in person... it's a bit worrisome. I don't have a great deal of confidence in Chinese metallurgy as it is. This just reinforces that. A frame should be strong enough to withstand a good deal of abuse (not talking about 30 ft jumps!) without failing like that.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #49

Well from my own personal experience I have snapped the stock engine mounting bolts just riding it lightly on paved roads and some dirt roads.

After replacing the engine mounting bolts I have ridden mine over countless whoops that have pounded the frame without failure.
That open frame design is fine as long as it is done correctly but on these bikes they just use the wrong size/type engine bolts and it allows things to move and flex.

OH I would very much like to have a good close look at that frame also as well as the engine and engine bolts.
The engine wouldnt be a big concern to me if the frame was closed but since the engine acts as part of the frame it is also part of the equation.

It is a bit of a concern but I did buy mine to run the woods and the woods it will run.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #50

Send a message via AIM to GY_Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin

My engine is an American Lifan and thus I can be absolutely sure of the quality and of course the proper exhaust note is definitely audible. MY bike was assembled by trained professionals working in a clean, safe, environment. I cannot speak for the assembly of other "gray" bikes, but am assured of the quality of my bike by its very nature as being an American Lifan. I suspect if this individual had purchased a genuine American Lifan, this problem may never have happened.
Was this a joke? Please don't tell me that was a serious response. :roll:

My bike has a different exhaust note because its gray.. It's more of a timp then a thump.

What I don't understand is WHY you would spend all kinds of money paying for them to replace engine gaskets and parts when you can get another brand new one for not much more then it cost you to fix that old one. I also noticed your exhaust and parts were rather rusty/dirty. Do you keep you bike in a garage where its protected from the elements? I would strongly suggest this with your new bike, it will look better and last longer that way.

The strength of the frame or metal in the frame has nothing to do with taking care of the bike on a regular basis. I don't really think its your fault I could not imagine what you would have had to of done to get such a clean snap like that. It almost looks like someone took a sawzall to it or took it off a massive jump. I am willing to bet if the frame was boxed in this never would have happened. If you did take it off a massive jump you must be a good rider This gen china bikes are not set up for jumping however the newer ones are moving closer with full frames and better suspension. It could have also been a huge pothole if you hit it just the right way especially if there was already some type of crack there to defect to being with. I don't feel it has anything to do with the welding as other members suggested. The simple response, the part that snaped was not even welded

If they are giving you a new bike GREAT! We really don't need a commission report on what could have went wrong because the issue is resolved. I am happy for you, that is way more then most dealers would do.